Search

Credit Cards and Cash?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Credit Cards and Cash?

We are Americans on our first trip to both Australia and New Zealand. We were wondering if there were any problems using Credit cards in either country or in any specific places. We were also concerned about how much cash we should start with. Any suggestions for places to make easy exchanges. Thank you in advance for suggestions.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM

You can get cash from an ATM in the arrival hall at the airports, using any card with Visa or Mastercard on the front of it. Credit cards are widely accepted, but generally not used for small purchases - say less than $20.00.
Taxis accept Credit Cards in Aus, and I think in NZ, but I'm not sure.

I'd hit an ATM for say $300 on arrival. Advise your bank that you are coming to Aus, so they don't think your credit card is beng scammed.
And welcome to Australlia.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 04:37 PM

What CC do you use? Visa and Mastercard are accepted almost everywhere, Amex not so widely, Diners least.

ATMs are everywhere.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM

As Peter said, there's an ATM in the airports, so we never bother trying to get Australian/New Zealand dollars before we leave the U.S. We've done this on our several trips to Australia and NZ and it has never been a problem.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 06:38 AM

We too are from the US and had no problem using our Visa Card anywhere in Australia and New Zealand and our ATM card to get cash from cash machines in airports and around any of the cities and towns we visited.

You'd be wise to call your credit card company prior to your trip to alert them you'll be travelling in a foreign country, that way they won't inadvertantly put a "hold" on your account because their computer sensed "unusual activity". Also if you plan on using your ATM Card while traveling consider notifying your bank for the same reason.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Also, make sure you have a 4-digit numerical PIN, and be prepared for not only per-transaction fees but also foreign currency exchange fees, which are a percentage of the transaction. Since these fees add up, get as much cash as you feel safe carrying and go to the ATM less often.

Also some/most credit cards charge foreign currency conversion fees. Two that don't are Capitol One and Charles Schwab...

We have found that a CC gives a better exchange rate than an ATM when you account for the fees...

The worst way to get foreign currency is to buy it at your bank before you go. Bad rate and no need to do this.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM

One way I saved on CC or ATM fees was using EFTPOS. This was when I would go somewhere that gave cash back, so you charge whatever you are buying and then get cash back. I did this with my debit card so I didn't pay all those ATM fees. It starts to add up if you keep withdrawing cash and using your CC because of the exchange and withdrawal fees. I usually bring cash and then change it as I go.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

THANKS SO MUCH! MY HUSBAND WILL NOW RELAX.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 08:40 PM

I was in Australia recently. Before I left the US, I contacted my bank and they told me who their partner bank was in Queensland. By using the partner bank's ATMs there was no transaction fee, and no conversion fee. Contact your bank to see what they recommend.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Check out opening an account with Bank of America and getting a debit card with them. They have a partnership with Westpac. I believe there are no fees associated with taking out cash from Westpac ATMs. They are all over Australia, even in the most remote places. This saved us a lot of money. We took out about $300 a day and it was just the same as if we were withdrawing from the ATM at home.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 03:37 AM

My bank, NAB, charges one fee for $0-99, another for 100 to 499 and another over 500. We withdraw closer to the limit of any fee range to reduce the percentage charge.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Yes, Bank of America uses Westpac. It did work out well for us, also.
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 05:12 AM

We've been to Australia twice since we figured out the BofA and Westpac connection and had a great experience using this for our cash. I don't know why anyone would use anything else for ATM withdrawals. I keep thinking that BofA will end these partnerships (they have them with a number of banks in Europe, too) but so far so good. Westpac is really all over Australia. There is even a Westpac ATM in Jabiru way out in the middle of Kakadu. No fee at all. For a credit card, get a Capital One card. No international fees there either. This will all probably end one day but for now....
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 11:47 AM

Our Westpac ATM card can also be used fee-free at St George Bank and BankSA ATMs, which adds another 1,100 locations. I'm not sure if these domestic partnerships are reflected in the Westpac-BofA partner agreement though.

If you use a "foreign" (say Commonwealth Bank) ATM the worst that can happen is you'll be charged a transaction fee, which should appear on the ATM screen before you proceed.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM

And if you get a Charles Scwab debit card for ATM use, they will reimburse you the transaction fees, which makes the transaction more cost-effective.