Travellers cheques?

Apr 1st, 2003, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Travellers cheques?

I am heading to Oahu soon for a holiday and am wondering if I should bother getting travellers cheques.

Are they readilly accepted in Honolulu/ Waikiki or do you have to cash them in banks?

Thanks for any help.

Christa
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

oops...sorry for the double up.

Christa.
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:15 PM

Are you from the States? If so, there's really no longer any compelling reason to carry travellers checks anymore, consifering there are ATMs. Nad if you are not from the US, I would still advise you to use you bank ATM card to draw cash.
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Anthony,

I am from New Zealand and I think the ATM International fees are quite high from here. I will look into it anyway and find out for sure.

Thanks.

Christa
Apr 1st, 2003, 02:46 PM

Yes, you should check out what the fees are - if they are high, then that might not be the best way to go. What about EFT/POS card ( BTW, here in the States we call those cards DEBIT Cards, or Check Cards)? Do you have one? Does it have a VISA or Mastercard logo on it? What are the fees to use that card internationally, if you have one?
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:06 PM

When I was in New Zealand I just used Bank ATM and credit cards
Apr 1st, 2003, 03:09 PM

Christa,

Travellers Cheques are widely accepted in the US (gift shops, groceries, hotels, etc). I know when we went to Oz they were just now using them and not very popular. I don't think it could hurt to bring some, especially coming from overseas (or across the Pacific). They are nice to have in case your other stuff gets stolen. AMEX will replace them right-away. Have fun in Hawaii...and venture beyond Waikiki!

Amy
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all,

I am really looking forward to the trip and yes, I have been doing lots of research on what to do in Oahu so we will definitely hire a car while we are there so we can head out and about.

Thanks for all the feedback, I do have an ATM Bankcard for withdrawing cash so I guess with this and credit cards I should be well covered.

Christa
Apr 2nd, 2003, 01:46 AM

Christa,
I have travelled to the USA from Australia and had no trouble using credit cards and ATM'S. Check with your bank and see if your debit card has the maestro cirrus facility, alot of atm's facilitate this system. In mentioning the above, I would always take some travellers cheques for the sole reason to cover yourself in the event of lost cards or theft (as already mentioned); nothing worse than being stranded without having some form payment if required.