cash, credit card or travellers checks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in South Island for just over a week in March.

What would be the best way pay for our daily costs ?

The lodgings I believe will accept the credit cards used to hold our reservations.

Do most merchants accept credit cards ?

Are ATMs numerous ?

Thanks.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Yes, most merchants accept credit cards - Visa and Mastercard certainly, Amex less common, Diners even less common, the American Discover card not at all as far as I know. And yes, ATMs are numerous. Use cash for smaller transactions.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 04:25 PM

okoshi2002, many stores and cafes accept credit cards. A few of the smaller ones in smaller towns are cash only. You can get cash with your ATM card.

HOWEVER here is what happened to us...we let our cash run out and I figured it would be no problem to get more in Queenstown. However, even though my ATM card had worked in the Dunedin airport, it wouldn't work anyplace in Queenstown! We must have tried every machine in town, and it was Sunday so the banks we passed were closed. I panicked...but then someone told us it might be that our bank system in the USA might be the problem, maybe they were working on their computers or something. I think that was the case, as the next day we tried again and the ATM card worked fine thereafter, for the rest of the trip.

So if you are using an ATM card, get more cash before you are down to your last NZ dollar!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks- I will plan to have some of each just in case.

I also called VISA to alert them when and where we are travelling to so they will not freeze our account when they see a "suspicious" activity.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM

okoshi2002, don't forget to get the phone number from your bank for the security of your ATM card. Your ATM card can also be "frozen" otherwise, if they don't realize you are travelling. You usually have to call a phone number and let them know your travel dates...you cannot just go in and tell your local branch. Occasionally you will find a new bank teller who doesn't even realize this.

We have travelled in several countries and it is safest if you have 2 ATM cards from 2 different banks. Sometimes, for no reason that we can understand, one of the cards gets "frozen" anyway, for no reason at all...while if you have a back-up card you are all set. Also take along the international calling number for your bank, in case you need to call them.

I always take traveller's checks just as a back-up in case of emergency. I get them with no extra fees. Then you can always use them back home if you don't need them on the trip and you haven't lost any money.

Many times various countries will have temporary bans on cashing $100 USA bills due to counterfeit problems. Because of this, if we are bringing any American cash, we bring $50's or $20's.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:16 PM

We used our Credit Cards the whole time and didn't have a problem. Plus, I think when they did the exchange rate it was better then converting cash...IMO.

Plus, we had an issue with one tour being cancelled after we had already paid and AMEX cleared it up quickly with the vendor so we didn't have to argue with them. With cash it might not have been that easy.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 06:21 AM

I just got off the Mastercard ATM locator - and although they have tons of ATMs in New Zealand - they don't list any in Queenstown! So I'm either going to stock up on cash in Auckland airport before flying down to Queenstown or see if wife's ATM card (from different bank) will work in that town.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:46 PM

A few years ago we used a credit card exclusively when we traveled in Australia, but now the credit card companies all seem to charge a 3% fee for all transactions. That can add up!

So this last trip we got a Bank of America debit card, which is a partner with Westpac. We could take out the equivalent of US$300 per day and it is the same as taking cash from your ATM at home. This worked really well for us. We did have to carry cash but there were no hidden fees and we always knew exactly what we were spending.

I know you are talking about NZ but you might look into what bank in NZ is partners with what bank in the US and try this route.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 02:31 PM

LynAK, thanks for that great hint about the debit card. We were shocked to see the fee on a recent credit card charge (we did a deposit on a reservation)--it was $5 US. That will add up if it is on every use of the card. We are used to always using the credit card (and are flying to Australia for the second time using FF miles because of this habit!!) but it is not a good idea if they are going to put an extra fee for "foreign currency exchange." Anyone know of a card that doesn't? We were even thinking of getting a Qantas VISA when we got to Australia to earn miles while we were there and not have the fee. I don't have any idea if this is possible or reasonable. I think the debit is probably the best way.
Sally in Seattle