Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Brisbane in mid-April ~ Weather and What to Wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky me! I recently learned we're going to Australia this April. I don't have the itinerary yet, but it looks like we'll be in and around the Brisbane area.

It will be fall then. What should we expect for weather? Do I wear typical fall clothing...jeans/slacks with a sweater or light jacket?

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Think Miami temps for autumn in Brisbane and wear t-shirts, shorts etc.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:22 AM

Yes April is a lovely time in Brisbane because we will be over the humid summer months so think warm, sunshiny days and pleasant nights.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM

People comment on weather without giving any consideration from the climate you might be used to.

We really don't have miami weather as someone else suggested. Miami weather is closer to Cairns weather. Brisbane is 1800Kms south of Cairns and well below the tropic of capricorn.

I'm aclimatised to subtropical weather and in April I'd be wearing jeans with a short sleeve shirt of some description most of the time.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:02 AM

If you really want to split straws Australiaszooisgreat ........ Miami is 25.78 deg Brisbane is 27 deg and Cairns is 16 deg south so in fact Brisbane is much closer to Miami's climate than is Cairns but if you wish then perhaps I should have said the Gold Coast ( 57 miles south of Brisbane ) would be similiar to Miami as that should be about as close as you could get on 26deg south. If you read my post again you will see that I did in fact comment about weather in relation to a place in the USA which I expect the poster knows, however I notice that you did not in fact impart correct information. Brisbane is also 1044.52 MILES from Cairns ( Americans use miles so it is no use talking about klms) or if you wish to use Klms it is exactly 1681 Klms between the two and not 1800 klms.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 06:11 AM

Well LizzyF... if you REALLY want to spit straws then perhaps you should consider the many other factors that influence weather, forget latitudes and actually compare the climate reports for the two regions. Avg top daily temps/humidity etc... Then come back to me...

Actual temperature and humidity tends to be of more interest to people than lines of latitude when it comes to choosing how dress.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM

HI Jewel,

The thing is here in Brisbane we have had the most bizarre summer ever!!! Nothing but rain, rain, rain and more rain. So it hasn't been as hot as usual.

I suspect that things could cool down sooner than we would normally expect. I recall last year it was at least May before the heat went away but I'm thinking that maybe by April the weather could be quite a bit cooler.

I would suggest jeans/slacks short sleeves and jumper and/or light jacket could be in order.

I actually can't wait to see what winter is going to bring to Brisbane this year.