Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page > Early Dec Weather in Sydney, Cairns, Port Douglas, GBR areas

Early Dec Weather in Sydney, Cairns, Port Douglas, GBR areas

Jul 12th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Early Dec Weather in Sydney, Cairns, Port Douglas, GBR areas

I'm hoping for comfortable warm to warmer temps and rains to NOT spoil our trip. How would you describe the weather in early to mid December for these areas?
I'm wondering why my timeshare group considers this time as a low season (and hoping it is due to reasons other than weather).
Thanks to all in advance for your input!
Becky from California
Jul 12th, 2003, 01:17 PM
sandi

We were in OZ end Nov/beg Dec and visited the places you list.

In Sydney we had varied weather from the mid'70s (Day-1) to low 50's (Day-2); then 105 (Day-3) finally mid 70s last day. So be prepared. I'd gather the normal temps should be mid 70-80s. Kind of what I would expect on the East Coast beginning June.

Cairns, Port Douglas are about 1-hr distance from one another and GBR is out in the ocean from both Cairns and PD - so expect sunny, hot and humid.

The only day we had overcast was when we were out on the GBR, which was nice as we didn't have sun beating down, but even thru the clouds "everyone" got burned regardless the SPF applied or t-shirts and hats worn.

As far as rain - only on our return from Kuranda there was an electrical storm for about 2-hrs, which delayed our SkyRail trip (they wouldn't run it during the storm).

But weather is weather - doubt you'll experience real cold, but as our 50 degree day in Sydney indicates, have a jacket just in case.

Maybe the timeshare considers it low-season because it's before Christmas. Usually prices and bookings are more difficult after Dec.15 (practically worldwide).

Have a great vacation.

Jul 12th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Hi becky,
Its pretty much peak summer in Australia. In Sydney, that means hot.
Cairns and North Queensland are susceptable to huge amounts of rain and storms, parts of this area flood badly and the man made "beach" at Cairns is blown away until its re built the next year.
My family and I will be in Australia from Dec 14th we are avoiding anything further North than Brisbane.Even Brisbane will probably get a soaking.
I am sure Queensland residents will be along shortly to give you first hand advice, but my comments are based on advice given by a friend who lives near Cairns.

Muck
Jul 15th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Hi there,
as a long term resident of North Qld I can give you the Low down on weather.
Mid December is build up. That means 33 degrees celcius and high humidity. Mostly it rains overnight and early morning then the sun comes out during the day and heats it up.
The torrential rain doesnt hit here USUALLY till late january and february .But even in that time, sometimes it can rain for a week or be sunny for a wekk, it is just luck of the draw.
The reason it is low season is that it is very hot and humid.
For the tropics (after all port douglas is the same latitude as tahiti), i would suggest lots of light cotton clothing.
The upside to this time of year is that is really lovely to swim in the Mossman Gorge and go to the reef. The water temp on the reef is 30degrees celcius then.
mmmmmmm
Cheers
Jul 19th, 2003, 06:45 AM

I am also thinking about a trip to N Qld this Spring. How about the weather around Cairns/PD in late October to early November? I know the rains start about then, but would it be a good time to visit the GBR and possibly a short trip up the peninsula, or would I be leaving things too late?

Search this Thread