boomerang pass vs. internet deals on Qantas?

Mar 18th, 2002, 10:56 PM
capt. orca

boomerang pass vs. internet deals on Qantas?

I just priced the Qantas Boomerang pass, then went directly into the Qantas site. They have internet specials that are much cheaper than the individaul segments on the Boomerang pass. For example, it is $77aud on the internet to go between Sydney and Brisbane, and double that with the pass. Of course you get flexibility with the pass, but for people on a budget who know when they are traveling between locations, it's no bargain. Driving is out of the question because we just don't want to spend the time. Too much to see in such a vast country. Anyone have any experience just buying from the Qantas website from the USA, getting an e-ticket, and being done with it?

Mar 19th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Beian

I buy on line all the time BUT REMEMBER that if you by an e ticket you cannot change it or alter things in any way. However you can always buy a segment now and get on line at any of the Public Libraries or Internet Cafes in Australia and book the next segment.
Yes it is cheap and yes it is convenient.
Go for it

Mar 19th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Mary

As I live in Melbourne - I don't have experience of buying Qantas tix from the USA - but - since the demise of Ansett - the number of cheap fares is very imited - and those that are offered go very very quickly. if you find a $77 fare - I'd grab it. You may well arrive and then find that the cheapest fare available is more like $300 unless you can be very flexible with your travel. if you know your dates and you can book from the US I'd be doing it now.

Mar 19th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Ben

I have just done a dummy booking and there was no problem. Keep in mind that the days that are unlikely to be available are Sunday, Monday and Friday when people could be returning home after the W/E or the business man going to another city. So try it first and see what is available now and try and work around your definite dates

Mar 20th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Sue

I bought a boomerang pass for flexibility, although it was a bit more expensive. I recently found out that the baggage allowance and weight restrictions are much more advantageous with the boomerrang, because your entire itinerary is deemed international rather than domestic. I am flying United Airlines to Oz and then taking a Qantas round-trip flight within Australia. Since boomerang is only sold to non-Australian residents, proof of a boomerang ticket is proof of an international traveller and you get the less-restrictive luggage allowances. Good luck.

Mar 20th, 2002, 11:37 AM
cheryl

I would not buy the pass because it game me an extra 5 kilo luggage allowance because most of the time Qantas don't worry anyway

Jun 23rd, 2002, 06:52 PM
Sherita

I am traveling to Oz and New Zealand next month (July/August) and called Qantas for flight info and they told me the boomerang pass was the best deal for me. I subsequently booked flight legs from Sydney to Cairns, back to Sydney, Sydney to Christchurch, Christchurch to Queenstown, Queenstown to Auckland and the total cost is $700 US per person (there are 2 of us going). After reading all these posts about internet fares being cheaper, I spent a lot of time tonight going to Qantas, VirginBlue and Air NZ and trying all sorts of internet fares, only to find that my boomerang pass is the cheapest plus it's flexible. I feel better now, but if this still sounds too high to some of you that have been there/done that, please let me know! Thanks.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:36 PM
Debbie

Hi,
I booked 4 tickets in April through Qantas' website and it saved me about $250 v. Boomerang rates. I read that some Fodors posters were unable make any changes even w/the Boomerang pass, so why spend more?
Debbie

Jun 24th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Nikki

Hi
When we booked for Oz and NZ we used the boomerang pass as you could make changes and our travel agent made all reservations for us. Then we were in sydney and wanted to change our pass and leave for tasmania a few hours or a day later. The Qantas agents in the city, at the airport and on the phone could not or would not do it. We tried all of them. We were very disappointed and I'd recommend that you take the lower priced ticket anytime.

Search this Thread