Liveaboard dive trips?

Jun 8th, 2002, 11:20 PM
Linda

Liveaboard dive trips?

Could someone who's done a liveaboard dive trip tell us a bit about them. We're looking at one that's 4 nights/5 days going out to coral sea and cod hole etc. Just would like some comments on your opinions. If you enjoyed it. Was it worth the money or if day trips from Port Douglas would be just as beneficial. Any that are better than others? Are they cramped or comfortable? Just any info would help.
Thanks!

Jun 8th, 2002, 11:40 PM
John

The Atlantic Clipper
Down Under Dives out of Cairns

Jun 9th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Caro

Hi there,
Undersea Explorer offers the best liveaborad experience in North Queensland. The boat is comfortable and the diving is second to none. They are heavily involved in research and have advaced eco acxcreditation. Their web site is www.undersea.com.au
Enjoy

Jun 13th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Bethany Lee

My husband and I just got back from an Australian vacation and we stayed on a liveaboard called the Nimrod. I would VERY HIGHLY recommend it! The food was fantastic, the boat was very comfortable and the crew was fun, knowledgable and helpful. In a 4 day 3 night cruise, we did 13 dives (two of which were night dives!). The crew did a dive briefing before each dive. They drew a map of the bommie and explained what you would see. The crew also spent a lot of time educating us on the reef, the fish and the safety aspects both for us and for the reef and fish. I thought the crew was very responsible and made sure we did not do any damage to the reef or ourselves. I would have to say that this was the highlight of our vacation for me and I would say that my husband would put it in at least the top two things we did. It was worth every penny and I thought it was much more personalized and educational than the day trips. Not to mention, there were only 8 divers on our boat and we never saw another boat or diver for the whole time we were at sea. Also, since the boat can travel while you're sleeping, you don't waist valuable time getting to the reef and the best dive sites... they're just right off the boat when you wake up. The Nimrod has a website if you just type in Nimrod to the search engine, you'll find it. Have fun!

Jun 14th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Ally

The best part of my Honeymoon that also included Hawaii, Fiji and Bali, was sailing/diving on the Sydney Sundancer. They leave out of the Whitsunday's so you'd have to fly there, but what an amazing experience. Talk about LUXURY. And, they take VERY FEW people. There were six on our 4 day trip..one other couple plus the skipper and his wife, the dive master/chef.
Gourmet food too! Check it out at:
http://www.luxuryyacht.com.au/holidays/holidays.htm

Jun 17th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Bethany Lee

Although I haven't done the liveaboard on the Sydney Sundancer, my husband and I got married on this yacht and it was absolutely wonderful!! The owners of the yacht, Lynn and John, were such great people and I would highly recommend their Sydney Harbor Cruise even if you don't do a liveaboard with them. If my husband and I make it back to Australia, we would definately do a live aboard with them.

Jun 22nd, 2002, 05:28 AM
Shelley

My husband and I are also looking into liveaboard dive trips but he can't dive. We really like the look of Nimrod but would like to know what the sites are like for snorkeling?

Jun 24th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Bethany Lee

Shelley-
I went on the Nimrod III for the 4 day trip from Cairns to Lizard Island. Everyone on the boat was a certified SCUBA diver but I did notice that the crew often just snorkeled. I would say that many of the dive sites could be enjoyed by a snorkeler but the diving is much better. Many of the best things we saw were at 20-40 feet and since the visabiltiy was about 80-90 feet, a snorkeler would be able to see most of it but not at the close range necessary to really see all the little details, colors and cool critters. Put it this way, I was thrilled that we spent the money and time to get certified to dive! By the way, the people at the Nimrod ALWAYS answered all of our questions in a very timely manner so if you'd like their opinion, just e-mail them. They are absolutely wonderful. Have fun!