Best Western President Hotel in Auckland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please tell me about this hotel? My daughter and I need a room for our last night before catching our plane home around noon the next day, so we would rather stay in the city than at the airport.

Also, I would like some advice on getting to the airport. Are there hotels that have transfer service?

Thanks.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Jed

I don't know about this hotel, but the location seems reasonable. It is about 5 blocks uphill from Quay St, where most of the interest is, as far as I am concerned. How did you choose this hotel?

We took a taxi to the airport. It cost about NZ$55.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

There was an ad on the side of the page when I googled for hotels. Do you have a good suggestion for one located near a good walking area that would be U.S. $100 or so (less is good)?
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Jed

With US$100, you should be able to get a good (maybe not great) hotel, since the dollar is astonishingly high to the NZ dollar At present, US$100 gets NZ$180.

Go to: http://tinyurl.com/6xlm4q and click on the 'show a map' brown button, Wait for the map of all the hotels to show, then zoom in and look for hotels within a few blocks of the water. We stayed at Quay West Suites, which I thought was great, but the rooms are more than 180.

Generally, I think the star rating is helpful, but not perfect. With some searching, you should be able to get a good hotel in a good area. It pays to learn how to use wotif, but if you find it too difficult, you may stick with Best Western. How much is your quote and for which room?

If you can fathom wotif, my experience is that you can usually get the same rate if you email the hotel directly, which I think is easier than going through wotif. Be sure to check the cancellation policy.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 10:40 PM

Hi Carolyn,

We stayed there in 2004 and it was fine; an easy walk to the harbor and around downtown Auckland.

The staff upgraded us from a studio to a two-bedroom suite, which was really nice. We spread out our stuff and repacked everything, since we were leaving New Zealand the next day.

Lee Ann
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your help.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM

I have not stayed at the hotel, but it's an okay location and others recommended it. You might look at some of the hotels closer to the Ferry Terminal, also.

You can take the Airbus, www.airbus.co.nz , NZ $22 (return) per person, which stops within a block or two of your hotel on Queen Street. The website has a route map and timetable. Allow an hour travel time even if they say less on the website.

Taxi would be about $NZ60 each way.

Old Dec 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

mlgb, thanks very much. The airbus sounds like the way to go; that is very helpful.