Search

Hotel Recommendations - Auckland & Queenstown

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Recommendations - Auckland & Queenstown

Hello All,

I'm looking for hotels online. I'm on wotif.com and am searching the various parts of Auckland (not that I really know what they are) and Queenstown but am having a hard time figuring out where to stay.

I'm looking for something UP TO 150, but of course, would always love to spend less and spend my money elsewhere I also like convenience (close to sites, nightlife, etc) and cleanliness and safety (am a solo female traveller).

Any recommendations?

Wotif.com is offering rooms at the Quadrant for 99NZD per night -- seems like quite the steal -- anyone have any views about this hotel?
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?? Does anyone at least have info on the quadrant hotel? what's the location like? is it decent?
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM

I also saw that on wotif and was curious. There is one very recept review on tripadvisor which liked the location but found the rooms odd.

They have their own very flashy website, www.thequadrant.com, with some more info. It says their is a 24hour reception and concierge.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 12:09 AM

My husband and I travelled to New Zealand this past April. While in Auckland, we stayed at the Hyatt. It was a great place, good location, great view, and the cost was excellent. I think we paid $99USD/night.

While in Queenstown, we stayed in the Outrigger which was AMAZING! I really don't think you can go wrong with hotels in this area - the view is amazing no matter where you stay. Our room at the Outrigger was $99USD/night as well. Can't beat it!

Have a blast!!! New Zealand is amazing!!!
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 12:12 PM

The Quadrant is just a block east from the Hyatt. (You can use wises.co.nz as a mapquest substitute).

If you don't need a full service hotel, I have seen high marks for Sebel Suites right on the viaduct.

If you can stay the weekend (F-Sun) prices tend to be lower in Auckland unless there is a special event.

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 02:31 PM

We stayed at the Sebel Suites and secured a rate of $158 NZD (including GST) per night. The location and accomodation were top notch and I would highly recommend it. We have a review posted on tripadvisor (http://tinyurl.com/yjfefw)

We also stayed at the Outrigger in Queenstown and it was very nice and convenient also. i still have not posted our review and pictures on tripadvisor for this one yet but it is very comparable in decoration to the Sebel Suites.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 09:05 PM

We always stay in the smaller, more personal hotels or B&Bs . This way we meet lot of people over breakfast and around the property and many of the hosts have planned our trips for us and given us tips we would never have got from a concierge in a big hotel. Have a look at Ponsonby. Its much more happening than downtown.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Have reread what yu had to say anid. If you are alone dont even think of staying down town. Ponsonby is a much nicer, safer place to walk around at night. Lots of night life there.
In Queenstown we stayed at Browns Hotel. Loved it.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:10 AM

While I would not stay right next door to the bus depot or QEII Square, I haven't had any issues when staying at the Aspen Lodge which is on Emily Place and Eden Crescent. Waterloo Quadrant is in the same neck of the woods. If you are in Ponsonby you are looking at a bus trip or taxi to get to the city center.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your helpful comments

It's much appreciated
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 08:40 PM

I stayed in The Quadrant last week. It's comfortable enough, but it advertises itself as being self-catering. If two hotplates, one small pot, no oven and pretty much nothing else you need to be able to make a decent meal is self-catering, then yes, it's self-catering. If that doesn't worry you, the place is fine. I would stay there again for a few days, but not for a prolonged period.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the info. In Dec I stayed at the Accor in Central Auckland. Same situation, no utensils or pots, but it did have a miniature kitchen as well as a washer/dryer unit. It was cheap enough, $70 NZ.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:51 AM

We just returned and stayed at Coronation Lodge in Queenstown. New hotel with kitchenett in unit and good location with walking distance to everything. I think we paid 150NZ with figures out to be something like 105US per night.

We did not book ahead, when we arrived in town we went to the isite (the information center that the have in almost every town that can arrange accomoations, tours, etc.) and that was what they recommended. I would also recommend this hotel.

Have fun-I wish I was there right now