Best restaurant in Sydney

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best restaurant in Sydney

Hi, My husband and I will be visiting friends in Sydney this June. Will be leaving our 15 yr old daughter with them for 2 weeks.{Their daughter is her best friend}. We would like to take them out for a special dinner for there kindness. Any suggestions? Price doesn't matter, I'm thinking just adults not the kids. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 08:04 PM

hi Weasel,

Which restaurant is to be regarded as 'best' in Sydney is impossible to answer. People enjoy arguing about such things.

If prices don't matter, then the following are among the most highly acclaimed in Sydney:

Restaurant est.
Level 1, Establishment
252 George Street
Sydney 2000
Tel.: 02 9240 3010

Claude’s
10 Oxford Street
Woollahra
Tel.: 02 9331 2325

Tetsuya’s Restaurant
529 Kent Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: 02 9267 2900

Marque Restaurant
355 Crown Street
Surry Hills
Tel.: 02 9332 2225

Rockpool
107 George Street
The Rocks
Tel.: 02 9252 1888

Golden Century Seafood Restaurant
393-399 Sussex Street, Sydney
Tel : 02 9212 39012 3901

Note that Tetsuya tends to polarise opinions - diners either think they represent the height of gastronomic delights or nonplussed by the hypes.

Golden Century does great Chinese seafood if you are prepared to fork out for the live stuffs swimming in their tanks - but the place is crowded and noisy, ambience rates zero, and service not exactly silver service.

A few years ago I predicted Mark Best of Marque would attain 3 hats (representing the highest award given by a our 'good food guide') when he just returned from a stint in France - but you need to be a Francophile in your food preference.

A relatively safe bet is Rockpool; while est is rated as this year's favourite by the food guide editor

But then, you might be the adventurious type.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi, we're all very adventerous and love various cuisines. Coming from Vancouver Canada we get exposed to and spoiled by great food. Thanks for any input or help. I often find that what is advertised in tourist magazines etc. doesn't have alot of substance. I'm looking for a memorable Wow factor meal. The one I will remember 5 years from now and think fondly of Sydney.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:53 AM

weasel, on that basis - and the fact that you said "price doesn't matter" -I'd go for Tetsuya's for a unique experience. Make sure you book a few weeks in advance to be on the safe side. These days I think the set price is AU$175 pp, wines extra.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:50 PM

If I wanted to take someone to a special restaurant in Sydney, I'd take them to Forty-One. It is an awesome restaurant! As the name states, it is located on the 41st floor and the veiws are unbelieveable! One of the walls is entirely windows. As a matter of fact, one of the walls in the bathrooms is windows. No matter where you are, the views are unmatched! The food is very good also. It is costly, but unforgettable.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Weasel, if you are from Vancouver, strike Golden Century off the list - your city has some of the finest Chinese restaurants that side of Asia.

The rest I believe would all give you the Wow effect.

Neil is right - if $175 a meal (degustation menu) is not an issue, and you feel adventurous, then Tetsuya is the go.

Our restaurant critics like to talk about 'the complete dining experience.' By that they mean that they are evaluating not only the quality of the food, but the service, the wine list, the view/ambience, etc.
I must admit that I struggle to understand sometimes how much relative weight are to be given to each - and that's where subjectivity comes in.
For example, one reviewer admitted that to him, food is only an accompaniment to good wine (rather than the other way round)- hence he gives lots of weight to the wine list. Restaurant Forty One has one of the best wine cellars around and employs a real sommelier.
Others think that the view/ambience is as important as the food, therefore more forgiving about the food.
Others think that the dining experience is best when dining with people who are fanatical about food - and the dining conversation must include a discussion and evaluation of each morsel as they are presented gradually to the table - hence a degustation experience as offered by Tetsuya is the go.
Etc..etc..

There is actually one more you should consider:

The Quay Restaurant
Overseas Passenger Terminal,
The Rocks,
Tel 02 9251 5600

A lot of people do not realize that it used to be known as Bilson's - a dining icon in Sydney.

That place would also give you an enchanting view.

Whichever you go for, I hope you would offer your personal review of the place on this forum.

Good luck.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:27 PM

hi Weasel,
Two Aussie restaurants (both in Sydney) have just been ranked in the world's top 50:
Tetsuya's at no.5 and Rockpool at 30.

See
http://www.smh.com.au/news/good-livi...521299395.html

Thought you might be interested.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be sure to give a critique when we get back.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 12:56 AM

We went to Tetsuyas a few years ago as my wife wanted to take me to the best restaurant in Sydney (she lived there for about 8 years) and the experience was certainly unique and special. The degustation menu is expensive but worthwhile with each course being a masterpiece of culinary art both in presentation and taste. Often the smaller looking courses have the most intense flavours and even without wine you feel that you are really testing the whole range of your tastebuds.

The setting is very chic but suitable for families as much as couples. Final tips from me - make sure you try the optional fresh oysters and take your time otherwise you won't be able to fit it all in (we made the mistake of not informing them to slow down so could not finish the main!). As I said it is relatively pricey even by London standards but the quality is as good as anything we have tried over here. If booking then you need to call/fax them exactly 3 months before the date you want as it is notoriously hard to get a table, especially if there is a group of you. Good luck and enjoy!