Printing Posts

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Printing Posts

I have used Fodor's boards for a long time but have never had any success with printing interesting posts for future reference. I have tried printing the whole page but I always end up missing the right hand part of the print. I have cut and pasted into Word, which works but is a pain. Usually I end up just writing the info into my planner. I'm not that computer savvy so perhaps I'm missing something obvious. Is there another way to print the threads that I don't know about??
Cheers!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:18 AM

If you have a PC, right click inside of the text on the right hand side of the page. Select "print." If you have a mac without a double-button mouse, I have no clue...
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:25 PM

I just tried the Tim_and_Liz approach and it worked, but it printed the whole page, not just the text, which is wasteful of ink and paper. I don't have any alternative to pasting the text into Word, I'm afraid.

If I'm in a hurry I click on the name of the thread so that its URL comes up in the browser's Address field, then add it to my travel folder in "Favourites". That way, when you go back to it you'll pick up all the subsequent posts.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding!
I was sure there was going to be some magic solution to my problem that I was missing - bummer!! Back to cut and paste!
Cheers,
Lin
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Lin, there might be a magic bullet, you never know. There aren't too many computer geeks here, that's all. Maybe if you asked the editor ([email protected])? Alternatively there are some pretty switched-on people on the Europe forum, and you'd reach a much wider audience if you posted there. If you find out I'd be grateful if you could re-post.
Good luck
Neil
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Well, I am certainly no computer geek but I have no problem printing out what I need for future reference. Simply. left click the mouse at the beginning of the desired information and "color in" what you want printed. Then select File, Print, Selection, OK. I print out tons of posts and file them away. I prefer reading printed material to reading computer screens.
Jane
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Dumb old me. Why ddn't I think of that? Hadn't had my 2nd cup of coffee for the day.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Jed

Jane -I highlighted a portion, then went to File and Print. But I didn't get Selection, and the whole page was printed as if there was no highlght.

travellin- If nothing else works:

1- left click on the right part.
2- click on 'print preview'
3- on the top line, change 'as laid out on screen' to 'only the selected screen'
4- print.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jane!
You may not be a computer geek but to me you are genius!! See, I knew if I asked, someone would show up that was way smarter at this stuff than me! Should have asked my kids years ago! You have given my future trip planning a whole new dimension (and done your bit to save some trees in the process)!
Cheers,
Lin
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Jed,
Thanks for your help. Jane's method worked perfectly when I tried it out. It's a whole new world now!
Cheers,
Lin
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Jed, you CANNOT do Print Preview.
Only use these steps:

Click File
Click Print
Click Selection
Click OK

Try this.
Jane
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 02:49 PM

This is a known problem with Internet Explorer. If you have a Canon printer you can download a printer utility from the Canon site (go to Downloads, and enter the model of your printer). Unfortunately this only works with Canon printers. There is a freeware utility which does the same thing for all printers, but I can't find the URL. I'll keep looking, and if I find it I'll post it for you.

In the meantime try this.
Open Internet Explorer
Click File/Page Setup
Adjust the printer margins to 0
(The margins will not stay at 0, they will reset to the minimum allowed)
This will still cut off some of the righthand column, but it will be better than previously, particularly if your margins were set very wide.

With any of this you are still likely to get multiple pages. If you want just one post the best way is to just highlight the one you want, as per the previous suggestions.

(HTML documents printed from Outlook Express also suffer from this 'feature'. Outlook Express uses the settings from Internet Explorer. You can't set print margins from within Outlook Express, you have to do it from IE.)
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Here's the URL for the printer utility.
http://www.printpunk.com/

Hope this fixes your problem.
Barry