Reload this Page >

Bookmarking a thread

Search

Bookmarking a thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM
JaneRebecca

Bookmarking a thread

How does one bookmark a thread that you want to read later? I have tried bookmarking the page but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks, Jane

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jane, to bookmark a thread because you want to keep the info in it to use later, go to the very top of your computer screen, click on Bookmarks, and follow the directions. Or you can email it to yourself (see the red email button?) and keep it in an email mail box entitled something creative, like Fodor's.

If you just want to read a thread later, and not save it to refer to as a Bookmark, you just have to type something like ttt (for to the top) as a reply. Then, whenever you click on your username (JaneRebecca), the messages that you've flagged will appear on the left hand side of the page.

You'll get the hang of it!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 08:13 PM

When you first to go a thread, if you look at your browser's navigation box, it'll only shows something like:

fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

"fid" is the Forum ID, and "2" is the Europe board. It doesn't show the thread ID, and if you bookmark right now, you'll only bookmark the Europe forum and not this thread.

But then you can click on the title of the thread on the right hand side of the window. For this thread, it's the title "Bookmarking a thread". Click on it, it may seem the same, but now your browser's navigation box will show this instead:

fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&tid=34831935

If you bookmark now, you will have this specific thread. Alternately, you can skip a step and simply right-click on the title "Bookmarking a thread" and choose "Bookmark This Thread". You'll have the same result.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 09:43 PM

As Betsy said, just add to the thread.

If you don't have anything to say (not that I let that stop me) I'd suggest typing "flagging" or "for future reference."

ttt works just fine, but very occassionally people get touchy about older threads being topped. The suggestions above make it clear why you're doing it and seems to avert what I think of as "topping tiffs."
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:19 PM

Thanks rkkwan! I've been on this board for several years and always wondered how to bookmark a specific thread. Knew there was a way, just never needed to until now.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:35 AM
ira

Hi JR,

Rather than filling up individual threads with posts that contribute nothing, you could open a Word document and copy the URLs of the threads you want by
right clicking the title
clicking "copy shortcut"
going to your Word document
clicking "CTRL+V"

That will paste the URL into your document.

This way you can organize your URLs by subject, which won't happen if you add a post and then click on your name.

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM
JaneRebecca

Brilliant. Thank you one and all!

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 03:30 PM

hmmm. ive been copying and pasting the urls in a draft in my email account. i just retrieved one now, pasted it in google, and i got the europe board...but not the actual thread. and ive "bookmarked" several that way...lol

i guess i'll have to try some of the ideas here. thx
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM

also, i thought ttt was the same as bumping...
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM

It IS the same as bumping.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 04:45 PM

No! No! For heaven's sake, don't ever "top" or "bump" a thread! Not if it's more than three days old!

Why, if you ever top an old thread, then people will simply line up to dope-slap you! That's because your topped thread interferes with the unimpeded flow of Billy'n'Betty Whatsishootle inanities which for so many have become the <i>raison d'etre</i> of this board!

Oh, I'm sorry, do I sound a little <i><b>bitter??!!</b></i> That's because I've committed the cardinal sin of topping old threads and and been scourged within an inch of my life for it. Please, please learn from my wretched example.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I feel very dense...&quot;go to the very top of your computer screen, click on Bookmarks, etc.&quot; I don't see the word &quot;Bookmarks&quot; anywhere. Could it be &quot;Favorites&quot; on my screen?
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
yep - favorites = bookmarks (depends on your browser/aol/etc)
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the info. Never more will I commit the sin of posting just to bookmark!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 09:42 PM

Sorry, mkdiebold. I'm on a Mac.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 04:43 AM

i think it is ridiculous that anyone would have a problem with reviving threads, especially when its an interesting and informative one that will benefit other members. i saw one on here that was started in 2002, and had no problem with it being given new life!
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 04:49 AM
ira

Hi smalti,

I can't recall to wat you are referring, but if you think an old thread is still useful, why not top it?

Occasionally, however, we do get old threads topped by people who wish to give advice about hotels, etc to folks who have finished their visit.

Hi Imernal,

It's only a venal sin.

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Hi, Ira!

When researching a recent trip, I topped some old threads that seemed helpful, and that led to what Worktowander aptly calls, &quot;topping tiffs.&quot;

I freely acknowledge that my topping is self-serving, but I'm usually posting late at night, which I think minimizes any inconvenience for others. Also, (getting defensive now), I do what I can to help other posters, and so my taking a rather selfish benefit doesn't seem so very wrong.

I also acknowledge that there are other ways to save threads: As you say, one can copy URLs, or there's bookmarking, or, as one exasperated poster asked me, &quot;Can't you just print these threads?&quot; But this way works for me; I make no attempt to deny I'm a Luddite.

Last night I was exaggerating sarcastically, of course. I'm taken aback to see a number of posters give deliberate, egregious offense repeatedly without anyone batting an eye, while my actions (selfish, yes, but not intended to offend) get me called down.

And, JaneRebecca, my intention is not to offend you by hijacking your thread entirely. I'll wipe the flecks of spittle from the corners of my mouth and settle down now.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:45 AM

&quot;I'm taken aback to see a number of posters give deliberate, egregious offense repeatedly without anyone batting an eye, while my actions (selfish, yes, but not intended to offend) get me called down.&quot;

Ain't that the truth!!!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:15 PM

I can't seem to clear up my Fodor's Bookmark file with threads I thought I was saving and have learned that by clicking on it, the bookmark just brings me to the original Europe Board! I need to get rid of the bookmark and can't do it. Any thoughts on how to trash it? I have a Mac. thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -