Search

Restaurant advice in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM
jwb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant advice in Sydney

We will be traveling to Sydney to visit our 21 yr. old son who is studying at the University of New South Wales. We would like to take him to some good and fun restaurants while there. What are your suggestions? All price ranges will certainily be considered because we are looking for different types of restaurants. Love most food, but not overly fond of sushi. Would we all like Aria or Cafe Sydney? Any great Italian restaurants that you can recommend?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Fabulous Italian food at The Mixing Pot in Glebe (moderate price range) or Mezzaluna at Potts Point or Beppi's in East Sydney which has been around since the 50's(Mezzaluna is run by Beppi's wife and son), or Zeffirelli's in Pyrmont. Take your pick as they are all good.

As far as "fun" restaurants, what do you mean...i.e. Teppanyaki, where they throw the food at you or a themed restaurant? For example in Melbourne there used to be a Titanic Theatre Restaurant (themed like you were on the ship) or a restaurant where it is pitch black and all the food is served to you but you can't see anything it was called Darkside (I think) but I think it closed down.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:55 AM

I also enjoyed the Mixing Pot although haven't been for a couple of years

The Sydney restaurant scene is great and varied. In Randwick, near the NSW uni is one called Becasse - not Italian but excellent. There are plenty of Indonesian restaurants around there-somewhat of an enclave.

Other Italian restaurants are Beppis in Darlinghurst, Otto's in Woolloomoloo ($$$$$, L'Incontro in North Sydney across the harbour Bridge and also Will and Tobys a new restaurant in Manly - this would involve a lovely ferry ride.

Have a look at de groot's site www.bestrestaurants.com.au

also http://sfd.typepad.com/sfd - otherwise known as one couple's quest to eat their way through Sydney

There is another site called cheapeats -google it- has both cheap and not so cheap places

Enjoy
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
jwb
Original Poster

Thank you so much Daneille and angelnot1 for your replys. By fun, I mean not stuffy, a younger crowd, but yet, good food and good views. I do appreciate all your suggestions and if you think of anything else, feel free to add more.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:41 PM

There's some very good and very cheap Indonesian restaurants opposite the University of NSW--Ayam Goreng Jakarta (it's fun, like a hut with outdoor seating) as well as Ayam Goreng. Both are in Anzac Parade. At the upmarket end for Italian food try Otto on the pier at Wooloomooloo, also there's quite a few on Norton St Leichhardt (which is the Italian area). Also Il Piave in Rozelle is very good.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM

I recently lunched at Pier in Rose Bay .Set on the water ,yachts moored beside you , seafood carefully prepared in interesting ways and 3 stars from Gourmet magazine.It was fabulous . Will cost you about A$100 per head depending on choice and drinks .
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:44 AM

I always find it fun to read the restaurant reviews in the Sydney Morning Herald - last weekend it was an Italian Restaurant in Surry Hills (inner city suburb) that sounded really good.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/restauran...722729051.html

A great place for breakfast is Ripples right by the water front at Milsons Point (it's in bestrestaurants.com.au).
You could go for a swim in the pool next door to work up an appetite. Brilliant location.

Cheers.