Search

B &B's in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Ann Logan

B &B's in Sydney

Are there B & B's conveniently located in Sydney? My husband and I will be in Sydney for 6 days in November. We enjoy B & B's, but have not found any listings in Sydney and would prefer to be near the Rocks. There is one listed in the Australian B & B Book on Commonwealth St., but I don't know where that is.<BR> Thanks for your input.<BR> Ann

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Mina

Ann, here's where I stayed...<BR><BR>http://www.bbsydneyharbour.com.au <BR><BR>I guess B&Bs aren't as common as in other places. This was a good B&B situated in the Rocks next to the Ana Grand, a quick few minutes walk down to George Street and Circular Quay. The Bridgeclimb office is right down the street. The website has details of the rooms. I got upgraded to the Barton room. While it was nice, it is very noisy, as there is some kind of freeway overpass outside. The courtyard (which is lovely) rooms would be far quieter.<BR><BR>Let me know if you have any more questions about this place. The proprietors were very nice, and I would definitely stay there again.<BR><BR>While not quite a B&B, the Russell Hotel gets great reviews for being a charming and "quaint" hotel. The location can't be beat on George Street. Prices when I called for rates were comparable to the B&B Sydney Harbour.<BR><BR>The website is http://www.therussell.com.au/ <BR><BR>Neither place has airconditioning (I found I did not need it when I went in November). Well, actually the B&B Sydney Harbour does have one or two rooms with air and heating. The website will tell you which rooms do.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Alan

Hi, Ann Logan!<BR>Commonwealth Street is nowhere near the Rocks... it's at the other end of Sydney, near Sydney Terminal Station, and it's one of the least-pleasant parts of the city. There's a shelter for homeless people nearby. Don't stay there under any circumstances.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Alan

Hi, again, Ann Logan!<BR>However, on a more positive note than above, you will find a few B&Bs listed on this site: http://pts.worldres.com/script/node.asp?ni=4321&pn=1861&<BR>In addition, this site might be useful for some comparison shopping:<BR>http://holidaycity.com/sydneyhotels.<BR>Finally, while not a B&B, the Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel does provide breakfast in its tariff, and, as you will see from the photograph on its site, has a wonderful B&B "feel" to it: http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/E/V/SYDNE/0068/91/96.<BR>Good luck with these!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:37 AM
LCUY

Ann- We also stayed at B&B Sydney harbour. Really enjoyed the rooms and location. The breakfasts are delicious and large, and the owners were incredibly nice and informative. <BR>Our daughters faced the front and Mina is right, the courtyard rooms are much quieter.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Liz

There is a little boutique Hotel in Potts Point at 122 Victoria Road. Whilst not quite a B&B ( although it is often listed with B&Bs) its a small private hotel which is in a great spot. I know this because I was born there - in that house, as it was then. Close by are the 300 steps down to Wooloomolloo which is a quaint area and it is not far from the underground station with quick links to Circular Quay and buses and ferries. <BR>I will try and find it for you and let you have the web-site to check it out.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Liz

Yes I found it. I am sure that you would love it and the prices are very reasonable too.<BR>http://www.holidaycity.com/victoria-court-sydney/<BR>Perhaps Alan you could take a walk past there sometime as it really is an elegant old place, now listed with the National Trust I believe.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Alan

If my legs hold out that long, Liz, I will happily do that! In the meantime, I will take your word for it and add it to my list of recommendations. Thanks!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Ann

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions on accommodation in Sydney. I have checked them all out and have learned about websites also! I wonder, Alan, if you were the one who recommended the Y on the Park Hotel at a previous date. Could you let me know about it? I found it on the website and wonder if it would be suitable.<BR> You all have given us a variety of suggestions, all in a fair price range; we are interested in the less expensive but conveniently located hotels. They all sound good!<BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Liz

C'mon Alan take one of those conveniently located trains from Circular Quay to Kings Cross station ( one stop) - take the Victoria Road Exit and you are there - in a nice leafy treed street with views over to Sydney Harbour Bridge :0)

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Alan

No, Ann, it wasn't me who recommended the Y on the Park... and, yes, Liz, I know the street, and frankly, it's not an area I like as it has definitely deteriorated over the last decade.... I don't feel as safe around there as I once did, and I don't really like to take my kids there, even in the daytime, because I never know what they are likely to see and hear (sometimes I lapse, however, as there's a nice second-hand record shop in the area, and last time I was there I picked up Anita O'Day's first Verve LP.) I do realise, however, that some tourists want a bit of an adventure and are prepared for an area like this ... and the house itself looks lovely from the website. So I will follow your suggestion, for sure!