Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

australia in july? where to drive or fly ex cairns for repeat visitor?

May 13th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

hi everybody!
as a total last minute surprise, i may get to tag along on a work trip to port douglas in july.
as many of you know, i have been to oz before and love it. i am wondering what options you would recommend for late july to tack on a week to my trip? the work part will be in port douglas.

also, will i need a wet suit to do a day trip via boat on the reef at that time? what will water temps/conditions be? finally, will there be box jelly fish offshore, or will i be able to swim from the mainland at that time?

any and all general ideas sought and welcome and i have to get planning immediately!
thank you so much.

oh, and in anticipation of your questions: i enjoy car touring - a drive, but nothing longer than 3 hours. no camping. have been to daintree, that would be my idea of a great trip- a short drive a nice destination, nature based.

how would flying to alice springs be at that time? do we do that, or fly closer to uluru (feel guilty that in so many trips have not seen it)?

thank you thank you!
May 13th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Lucky you! You won't need a wet suit for a day trip to the reef but I don't know if you are planning specifically to dive on another day? Can't answer the other questions re water temperature etc..sorry maybe someone else can? I suggest you fly direct from Cairns to Ayres Rock which is the airport for Uluru.
May 13th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Hi kerikeri - Good for you! Depends what you're used to as whether you'll need a wet suit in July, maximum daytime temperatures get to about 27C and water temperature a little less. Anyway, you can make that decision on the day - reef operators supply wet suits. Due to prevailing SE trade winds in July, water can become choppy. July is well out of the box jelly fish season so don't worry about them on the coast. If you're staying in the area why not go beyond Cape Tribulation to Cooktown - it's more than a 3 hour drive but you can break it by overnighting in Cooktown. There's some glorious coastline up that way. Or you can fly one way and drive the other. Also within range are the lovely little rural towns on the Atherton Tableland, Undara Lava Tubes, Mission Beach, fly to outback towns and cattle stations with Play Postie for a Day -just a few suggestions - there's an incredible amount to see in the area.
May 13th, 2004, 07:15 PM

July is a great time for Alice, Uluru and the Red Center. Sunny warm days, cool nights (perhaps even below freezing) and few of the flies that the Outback is famous for. Lots to see besides Uluru if you can spare the time and don't mind driving a bit. Four-five nights would be good for Uluru, the Olgas (~60 km from Uluru) and Kings Canyon, a moderate distance away (flying in and out from Uluru).
May 14th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

thank you!

i will start looking into all of those great suggestions.