Australia with kids in July

Old Nov 27th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australia with kids in July

I would like to travel to Australia with my husband and four children in July. My kids ages range from 10 to 3 years old. We will have bt three weeks and a month in Australia. I'm wondering what the best areas are for that time of year. From preliminary research I think Sydney, the GBR and the rain forest are must sees. We also need to see the penguins, one of my sons love penguins, it seems like kangaroo island has gotten better reviews than Phillips but will it be too cold in July? Also where to stay when visiting the reef and rainforest? We usually stay in apartments when we travel and if there are any suggestions in that department they would be greatly welcome. Are there other areas that should be must sees for us? I don't want to spend all of our time/ funds flying from place to place but would like to get a comprehensive view of the country. My children are game for most things, we spent last summer in Bali and HK and I'm not worried about them as far as adventures go. Of course kid specific ideas are welcome as are logistics and anything I've missed. I'm at the very beginning of this process and looking forward to hearing ideas and itinerary help. Thanks
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 02:27 PM

Give me a little more idea of your family's interests and the budget you have for accommodation and I can make a lot of suggestions for the Cairns, Atherton Tablelands areas for that part of your trip. It is a great time to be in this part of the country and one can get a feel for many of the different types of landscape.

"Comprehensive" though is not going to be possible but I think I know what you mean. I have an almost pathological aversion to purchasing any book with 'complete' in the title unless the subject is very restricted.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 03:59 PM

I've been to KI with my kids in July. It's chilly, but not what I would consider "cold". During the day, I was comfortable just wearing a windbreaker.
I have not been to Phillip Island but my sister told me she thought it was a big waste of time and money. She thought it was too far to travel from Melbourne for one evening of mediocre penguin viewing with hordes of people.
My two favorite places in Australia in July are the GBR area, which you plan to visit, and the Top End of the Northern Territory (Darwin, Katherine, Litchfield, Kakadu.) The weather's great and the terrain and activities are wonderful.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 04:59 PM

I'd possibly agree with your sister's assessment of Phillip Island IF all one did was drive down, go to the Penguin parade and drive back.

However, there's a lot of other things of interest, especially for kids visiting Australia for the first time.
Koala conservation; Churchill Island; Seal Island; Nobbys, to think of just a few.

I think it's well worth an overnight and at the very least one full day. http://www.visitphillipisland.com/

Still, it's always a balancing act of time & opportunity and what appeals to one may be anathaema to another.

July is a great time to visit the Red Centre (Uluru/Alice Springs). Lots to see & do in Alice Springs too. http://en.travelnt.com/explore/alice...FQUlpAodWRxirg

Australia's a big place and even with a month, there will be quite a bit of flying if you want to have a comprehensive experience.

If you can open-jaw your entry & departure points, that will help.

If you wanted to do some driving, you might consider something roughly like:

Fly into Sydney, spend a few days exploring the city & surrounds, Blue Mountains.

Drive to Melbourne via the South Coast. One or two night stops enroute. This will bring you into Melbourne via Phillip Island.

E
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Either continue to Great Ocean Road from the Mornington Peninsula and return to Melbourne; or go to Melbourne for a couple of days, then take a trip to the GOR (over night recommended).

Fly Melbourne to Alice Springs. Overnight & explore.

Drive, fly or take a one-way small group tour to Uluru.
One or two nights there, depending on arrival times, what you want to do.

Fly Uluru to Cairns for Great Barrier Reef and hinterland (Atherton Tablelands), perhaps Daintree

Fly Cairns - Brisbane for homeward flight.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Wow it seems like there are so many areas that we would want to see while we are there! Our usual trips spend about a week in each place but that doesn't seem like it will work there are too many places. How long do u suggest in each place? How many places are feasible? As for our interests we enjoy culture and nature, animals and getting a feel for a people and culture. I have not worked out our flight Arrangments so I'm not sure about my budget just yet! As for the penguins, that is a must see for us since my five year old son has a strong interest in penguins, just trying to figure out the best way to do so. So we should start in Sydney and leave time there for the blue mountains then fly or drive to Melbourne? And this is when we visit Phillips island? Then visit urulu and then fly to cairns and the great barrier reef and rainforest. Does that sound right? Again how long am I looking at in each place? Anything I'm leaving out? Thanks again
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM

Some ideas for your time in the Cairns hinterland area. Yungaburra is a good base and that is not just because I live here, http://www.yungaburra.com/

For wildlife visit Granite Gorge where you can hand feed the rock wallabies. There is a lot of other wildlife here too but some of it is rather cryptic and would depend on your enthusiasm and experience to find, e.g. Frilled-neck Lizard. Walk along Petersen Creek in Yungaburra in the evening or early morning for Platypus. Take a night tour to see gliders, possums and tree-kangaroos.

For scenery visit the Crater Lakes, the two spectacular fig trees and do the waterfall circuit.

For cultural interests there are excellent displays at the Mareeba Heritage Centre, Ravenshoe Visitor's Centre and the Mining Museum in Herberton. It may be that the Malanda Visitor's Centre is open again by then but I would not count on it having all the displays restored after the fire. While in Cairns be sure to visit Tjapukai http://www.tjapukai.com.au/ There are a number of small galleries in the city and various towns in the region.

For penguins there are options other than Phillip Island. http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melb...ls.php?id=1173 I have heard that one can walk to this colony but would need to have that confirmed. There is a population in Sydney but not sure about access http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/an...neyHarbour.htm

I would be inclined to leave out Uluru this trip. It is unlikely to be your only trip to Australia because the place is so infectious it should carry a health warning! This would give you more time to explore the hinterland of Sydney and Melbourne. It would also give you time to visit the Daintree area north of Cairns to see Cassowary and crocodiles, drive out to either Undara or Chillagoe from Yungaburra for a taste of the outback. http://undara.com.au/ http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au...agoe/index.cfm

I think that's enough for you to digest right now but remember that much of Australia's wildlife is crepuscular or nocturnal and that in north Queensland there is a greater range of species in the mountains than on the coast.