Help with NZ south island itenerary- travelling with a 2 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just planned to make a trip to NZ south island over xmas. With less than 3 weeks to go and SOOOO much information on the Internet, t is hard to plan a trip. Looks like most of south island is beautiful. We have just 5-6 days to spare and would prefer to visit scenic places, do some wine tasting, lie on the beach and see some soectacular glaciers in south island. Being mindful of the fact that the little one may not be too happy to stay tied into a car seat for too many hours at a stretch, Would Ike to stay in a region and was thinking greymouth, hokitilka, FJ and fox or Queenstown, arrow town, cromwell, Wanaka, fiord land, te anau or Dunedin and the surrounding areas. Which would you recommend or any tips nplanning this trip will be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 11:29 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
That's an awfully long wish list for only 5-6 days. Are you flying into/out of Christchurch?
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

I know! But cutting it down, would like to see scenic places and also have a relaxing time. I haven't booked tickets yet and was thinking we will fly into QT. also may just hang out in the surrounding areas like doubtful sound, Milford sound and Cromwell. Would it be ok to do this with a two yr old?
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 06:14 AM

I don't think that Te Anau (Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound) would be all that interesting with/for a 2-year-old. In your circumstances, I would consider flying in/out of Queenstown and stay 2 nights there, 2 nights in Wanaka and 2 nights in Franz Josef. If you only have 5 nights available, I would skip Franz Josef and stay 3 nights in Queenstown and 2 nights in Wanaka.

There won't be any laying on a beach with this itinerary, but there will be plenty of gorgeous scenery and things to do with your child. One thing in particular that you might enjoy doing with your toddler in Queenstown is the trip on the TSS Earnslaw to the Walter Peak High Country Farm. This excursion includes a boat trip, a tour of the working farm and morning tea, afternoon tea or BBQ lunch. We enjoyed it very much.
See: http://www.realjourneys.co.nz/Main/Farmexcursions/
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:24 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Sticking to one general area is the way to go IMO, and QT is one of the few places on the SI that makes a decent base for seeing other areas.

I think driving to the glaciers from QT or Wanaka is too ambitious though, especially with a toddler. It's a long drive, and once you get there you have to either drive back or continue driving to Christchurch, which means even more driving.

I'd suggest plopping yourself down in QT, or along the outskirts of QT (or Arrowtown) and making day trips. You can get to Wanaka in 90 minutes, to Glenorchy in 40 minutes, to Te Anau in two hours, to Milford in four hours and to Cromwell in under an hour. Many people make the long day trip to Milford Sound from QT (11 hours round trip), but I personally wouldn't do it, especially with a young'un.

There's plenty to see/do right around QT too. Those 5-6 days will fly by.

I also suggest you stay in self contained accommodation - prehaps a serviced apartment or cottage with cooking facilities. We really like Orchard Cottage in Arrowtown - it's two bedroom and would work well for a small family.

As for how to entertain a two year old, I haven't a clue, but I'd imagine the less time you spend in the car the better!