Sydney itinerary help

May 12th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Sydney itinerary help

I would love some advice/feedback on our plans for Sydney. Too much? Not enough? We're traveling as one adult, one 13-yr-old boy and want to make the most of our time in Sydney. Comments and suggestons would be great.

Arrive July 16 6:10am - Stafford Apts in Rocks. Spend day exploring Rocks area, Opera House, Botanical Garden and foreshore walk to Mrs. Macquarie's chair. Dinner at Phillips Foote in the Rocks.

July 17 (Saturday) - Rocks Market, walking tour (on own) from Rocks towards city center, monorail to Darling harbor area and ferry back to Circular Quay.

July 18 - we depart for next part of our trip

July 31 - Arrive Sydney 4:45. Transfer to Stafford Apts. Would love to attend AFL game that evening but not sure we'll have enough time.

Aug 1 - Explore Darling Harbor, possibly aquarium, powerhouse museum, etc. 3-hr Sydney harbor sail already reserved for afternoon.

Aug 2 - AM ferry to Manly Beach or considering Spit bridge to Manly walk, ferry return. Need ideas to fill afternoon. Evening harbour lights cruise. Would this be a good day for the 1-day daytripper pass?

Aug 3 - morning at Taronga Zoo, bridge climb at noon (already reserved)

Aug 4 - transfer back to airport at 10:30am for flight back to USA
May 12th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Hi, Ninja!

"Aug 2 - AM ferry to Manly Beach or considering Spit bridge to Manly walk, ferry return. Need ideas to fill afternoon. Evening harbour lights cruise. Would this be a good day for the 1-day daytripper pass?"

You won't need any extra ideas to fill the afternoon if you do the Spit Bridge to Manly walk (and you should!) No, you shouldn't buy the Daytripper Pass in this case, as your only transport expenses will be the bus from Stand C in Carrington St to the Spit Bridge (I think this is about $2.40) and the ferry (about $5.00). Buy these singly, as needed. When you get to Manly Pier (right past the Shark Aquarium, which might be worth a visit), walk through the main street (the Corso) to the Ocean Beach, and then head right around the foreshores to Fairy Bower -- a pleasant walk before the late afternoon ferry ride. And, did you know that in Manly, quite close to the shops, there is the remains of a real castle? Most of the locals don't know it any more, but it's there -- you can still see part of the perimeter walls, set with gargoyles (everything else has been torn down). It was built by an eccentric millionaire around the beginning of the twentieth century. Worth a bit of a hunt (especially for a thirteen-year-old)?

For Saturday, after the Rocks market, hop a Balmain bus (they go from the Rocks) and get off at the Balmain Town Hall (the driver will tell you). Keep walking -- nice buildings, good coffee shops, two great old churches, one of which will probably have a street market -- the way the bus was heading, down the hill, and you will come to the ferry wharf, which will take you back to the Rocks, via the Milson's Point stop, which is where the newly-reopened Luna Park Amusement Park is. Hop off there, and walk back to the Rocks across the Bridge. If you want, you'd still have time to visit Darling Harbour, but, since you plan to "do" this area in the second part of your visit, I can't imagine why you'd want to see it twice.

Apart from that, your itinerary is great. Have a nice holiday!
May 12th, 2004, 05:26 PM

Hi Ninja! You have thought out your holiday well. Could I suggest that on the day you have planned for morning visit to the Zoo, you go early as it takes a while to see the Zoo properly and you have to get back to town to do the bridge climb.Also you may not need to go to Darling harbour twice if you start off early enough on the day in question.
May 12th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Does your son like animals? Check out the Featherdale Wildlife park, where you can get closer to native Australian wildlife. You can feed kangaroos, see a fantastic reptile display, see the flying foxes (bats) from a foot away, and pat a koala. I found it to be much more exciting and intimate than the zoo. If you can, go to both places.
May 13th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. Yes, we both love animals, but we planned on visiting Taronga Zoo (early in the AM)in Sydney and Wildworld Wildlife park in Palm Cove later in our trip. Their website offers an evening BBQ and night tour of the zoo that sounded pretty different. I suspect my son would especially like exploring with flashlights and such.

Thanks, Alan for the great suggestions around Manly and taking the bus to Balmain. That's exactly what I was looking for. We can't wait for our trip, we've been planning this for months now.
May 13th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Hi, again, Ninja!

You will both like Taronga -- while your son is checking out the animals, you'll be knocked out by the view: we Sudneysiders are crazy people, we pay millions for an apartment with a tiny glimpse of the harbour, and then we give the animals the best views for free!

If you are really energetic (and really mean that about your early start to Taronga), it is possible to do the Spit Bridge-Manly walk on the same day as Taronga. In that case, you should certainly buy the Daytripper Pass, as the two ferry rides and an extra bus ride will constitute a saving with the pass. Also remember that your son travels for half price.

Featherdale is a nice park, but its problem is that the area it's situated in has absolutely nothing to recommend it. Featherdale is all that there is; the rest is flat, ugly, depressing dormitory suburbs. A similar (but maybe slightly better) alternative, if you really need a third wildlife park, would be Koala Park at Pennant Hills.
May 13th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

I haven't told my son yet, but I think we're in for several early AM pickups on this trip so starting out early for Taronga shouldn't be a problem. Our own NC Zoo just recently added an Australian section (pretty limited, but fun nevertheless)so we'll focus on the native Australian animals at Taronga and maximize our time there so we can still make it to our bridgeclimb appointment. I think we'd be better leaving the Spit Bridge to Manly walk for a separate day. That's pretty late in our 3-wk trip so we (ok, I) may need to take a bit slower pace by then.

Any thoughts on whether we'd be able to catch that AFL game on 7/31? Our flight doesn't arrive until 4:45 and we'd need to check in at the hotel first before heading out. My son is quite an avid soccer (football? in Australia?)player so I know he'd enjoy catching some live sporting event if we could fit it in.
May 13th, 2004, 02:55 PM

That game starts at 7.10 pm at the SCG.the SCG is a great place.
The brisbane lions are a good side so it should be a good match.Even if you are a little late you should be ok...afl games go for almost as long as nfl games. soccer is called soccer here.the word football means different things depending which part of australia you are in.

Get a cab to your hotel from the airport. then get a cab to the G if you are late or catch a bus ex the quay if you have time.

It might be best if you get tickets prior to the match and pick them up at the ground.go to the sydney swans website.
May 14th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, that sounds very doable. We have an early (sunrise) activity at Uluru that morning before catching our flight to Sydney so it makes for a pretty long day. Would we still be able to buy tickets if we waited until that evening? Our backup plan was to find a place near the hotel where we could watch some of the game with the local crowd. Not sure how easy that would be with a 13-yr-old though.
May 14th, 2004, 12:51 PM

As it's at the SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground) - you should be able to get tickets at the ground. Go Swans!

Sleep on the flight back to Sydney!