What to see with only 2 full days in Sydney?

Nov 5th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

What to see with only 2 full days in Sydney?

My husband and I will be in Sydney at the beginning of May/05 and we will only have one full day to see the sights, followed by a day Blue Mountain tour out of Sydney, and then another 1/2 day to see the Sydney sights before we head back up to Cairns.

What are the MUST-SEE or MUST-DO things that I just can't miss in Sydney. We will be staying at the Old Sydney Holiday Inn.

Should we take a bus tour, a harbour ferry tour, etc? We don't want to climb the bridge, and are not really sure we want to spend our few hours at the zoo - so those are pretty much eliminated.

Any suggestions on how we should spend the short amount of time we have?

Thanks in advance.
Nov 5th, 2004, 09:41 AM

A harbour cruise is always a must in Sydney or alternatively get a Daytripper Ticket, and use the ferries out of Circular Quay for a half a day.
Another way of enjoying the city of Sydney (at no cost) is to walk from the city down to Circular Quay, then around to the Opera House, then to the Botanical Gardens, go inside, and walk along the pathway, with the water on one side, follow this scenic walkway right around to Boy Charlton Swimming Pool, then change your course, and walk through the Botanical Gardens, to view the trees/plants, etc, exiting the Gardens near the State Library, then walk along Macquarie Street towards Hyde Park, and go through Hyde Park, the exit to a street, that will lead back towards your city hotel.
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:40 PM

Hi,

I know you said you were not interested in the zoo, but it is pretty amazing. I also loved the aquarium. Don't miss the Opera House and take a ferry ride around the harbor. Circular Quay is very interesting, there are several street entertainers. Stop and have coffee somewhere (outside if it is still warm enough) it is GREAT.

Enjoy!!!!!
Nov 6th, 2004, 06:41 PM
drb

I agree with tropo. You can explore the rocks on your own as you're staying at the Holiday Inn. I'd give up the Blue Mountain trip, do the Bridge Climb, check out the bar and the restaurant at the Harbour Rocks Hotel, take the ferry to Manly and check out the zoo if you have time. If you're still awake in the evening, check out a performance at the Opera House.
Nov 7th, 2004, 03:20 AM

I'd go for something along the lines of what Tropo suggests.

For a short trip the must dos have to be SOH, Circular Quay, a ferry ride; Royal Botanic Gdns and the Art Gallery of NSW.

As you're staying at the Old Syd HI you are perfectly placed. Just opposite the hotel there are steps originally used by customs officers that take you down to Campbells Cove. From there you can walk all the way around Circular Quay to the Opera House. Keep going into the Botanic Gdns. Check out the fruit bats and exit opposite the State Library. You could then walk a little way up Macquarie street past the NSW Parliament and the Old Mint Building to Hyde Park Barracks. This is the "Convict" Museum and worth ducking into. Then make your way to the Art Gallery of NSW about 5 mins away. From there you can get a #442 bus. You might like to get off at the QVB for a quick look inside an amazing building; then catch the same bus and go to Balmain - takes about 15 mins and goes over the 'other' bridge which is lovely. Stop in Balmain for a coffee at one of the many cafes, then continue on by the same bus to the Darling St Wharf and take a ferry back to the city. I'd recommend going straight to Circular Quay (under the Harbour Bridge) but you could go to Darling Harbour instead (especially good at sunset). My other fave public ferry is to Mosman. Again sunset is a wonderful time to see the way the light catches the sails of the SOH and for a glimpse of one of the many gorgeous bays in the Harbour. Catch a performance at the Opera House if you can. On the half day I think I would either climb the SE Pylon for amazing views (not the same as the Bridge Climb) or maybe take the bus to Bondi and do the cliff top walk just as far as Bronte Beach and get a bus or a taxi back. Or explore the Upper Rocks.

I'm not at all convinced that it's necessary to take a cruise to see the harbour during the day - the public ferries are great. But a night cruise is a different proposition especially if a performance at the SOH doesn't appeal.