July 2004- Motorhome or fly aound

Old Dec 27th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July 2004- Motorhome or fly aound

Family of 4 (kids 18 &21) will spend 18 days in Australia, July 2004. We will be meeting our older daughter when she finishes studying for a semester in Sydney. I am trying to decide if we should spend the whole time driving from Sydney to Cairns in a motorhome or fly around to Sydney/Cairns/ Kangaroo Island OR Melbourne. (Feedback on Kangaroo Island OR Great Ocean Road would be appreciated also)

In the past we have enjoyed driving vacations seeing many sights of natural beauty, but would also like to see as much as possible. This will probably be our once in a lifetime trip to Australia.

Thanks for any pointers and opinions you would like to offer.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 03:40 PM

Hi - in July I'd be inclined to head north where weather will be warmer - for the Sydney-Cairns section I think it would be wiser to fly - it's a long way to drive and coastal stops won't be at their best in winter. You could rent a car when you get to Cairns - there's plenty to see in the area apart from reef and rainforest. Cheers
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 05:50 PM

If you only have 18 days, I'd suggest flying to somewhere in Queensland (perhaps Mackay), then hiring a motor home and driving north from there. This would give you time to visit Mission Beach, Townsville, Cairns, Port Douglas, Barrier Reef etc. At Airlie Beach, you could check on stand-by rates for the islands.
The Great Ocean Road is lovely but will be windy, wet and cold in July. Kangeroo Island will also be windy, wet and cold, and is a long way out of your way and would be an expensive addition to your trip.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 05:33 AM

Fly!

Take advantage of Australia's super cheap airfares. Check out Virginblue and Qantas red deals.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 11:34 PM

ctusa

I do hope you're aware that Oz is about the same size as mainland USA. But - without the population and without the roads. If you're happy to spend a fair bit of time on the road, then fine. There's heaps to see. I wouldn't be doing it.

The advice to collect a motorhome in Cairns is sensible, then you can potter around that area. Cheap flights from Sydney to Cairns, and plan to travel a bit from there.

It won't be your only trip to Australia. You'll be keen to come back!