Any Reasonably Priced Hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 2 week vacation to Fiji and were hoping to spend time on Taveuni. All the posts on here that I have read, list Coconut Grove as a well-recommended medium priced place to stay. I have checked their website and they are asking $95 per day PER PERSON! and this is US dollars!! This is hardly what I would consider a medium priced hotel/resort. Is there nothing nice for under $100 for TWO people on Taveuni? We really want to do a Blue Lagoon Cruise and at $500 pp, per day (Canadian) that seriously cuts into our budget for the other one and a half weeks of the holiday.

Matangi, another highly recommended spot on this site that we were hoping to stay at is almost $200 per day PER PERSON!

Any ideas? We are not backpackers and will be bringing our 17 year old son with us so will be paying for 3 adults.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Old May 20th, 2003, 10:32 PM
ALF

I really like the Garden Island Resort, in Waiyevo, on the southwest side of Taveuni. This is primarily a resort for divers, but we enjoyed the quiet and remoteness of this little oasis. A little-advertised feature is the 4-person 'dorm' rooms, which are more spartan than the regular rooms, but can be had much more cheaply. You still get the same fantastic shoreside view and the open-air dining room and bar overlooking the (tiny) pool and the Somosomo Strait.
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:04 PM

Wendy-

Note that Coconut Grove IS NOT a resort. I stayed there with a friend about 5 years ago. Basically, it's a Bed & Breakfast that's about a 3 minute walk from the airport (on the beach). It's basic, but friendly. When we were there the generator was turned off at 9pm, but I see that they now have 24 hour electricity. There's no pool or anything like that. We also paid nothing like $70 or $95 per night!

There's another place down the street called Andrea's or something like that...name with an "A". It has a little cafe. Coconut Grove doesn't.

Old May 21st, 2003, 07:05 PM

The other place is called "Audrey's By The Sea"
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:10 PM

Me again...sorry.

Look at this link: http://www.frommers.com/destinations...358010027.html

Basically, Frommer's recommends Audrey's and it's only $105FJD per night for the whole cottage, not per person (so about $50US)

The owner of both Audrey's and Coconut Grove are Americans (Audrey for the former, Ronna-who's a character- for the latter).

That's it!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will check these out. What I tend to be finding is that the travel guides and these travel sites (fodors, etc.) indicate one price but then when you go to the actual website of the hotel it is considerably higher.
I appreciate the suggestions and will look them up!
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:17 PM

If you're still interested in Matangi Island resort - they have a pay 5, stay 7 special. That makes it like $200/night for 7 nights. I would not pay $400/night for Matangi.
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:43 PM

Bula- Why Taveuni? We were in Taveuni last summer and it was over-priced and a little dreary. Twice before we had stopped outside of Savu Savu and had great diving, great snorkeling, our kids were having fun away from us and if life got to boring we could go into town. Fiji is not as cheap as one might think. But the snorkeling is great, the people off the main island are wonderful and the Blue Lagoon Cruise is pretty nice. We did it 10 years ago and still remember it as nice, if you get fine weather. The people who got off the boat before us (early July) had only had rain! Something to keep in mind.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 03:15 PM

Mantangi is not very good. Navini Island Resort is great - allows kids and has great beaches and snorkeling - proce might be high for you - it is $540 FJD for a duplex bure that holds up to 5 people. There are only 10 bures on the whole island! Meals are extra. Website is www.navinifiji.com