After Australia, then what?

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Australia, then what?

I'm planning on visiting my daughter in Sydney (semester abroad) in August. I probably will stay in Sydney for a week, then after her semester is over, take her up to GBR & Daintree. Am thinking it would be nice to make a stop on the way home to East Coast for some R&R. Perhaps Hawaii (5-7 days) would lessen the jet lag. Any suggestions or different stopover?
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:34 AM

A lot of people stop off in Fiji...

You asked about Hawaii...The island of Kauai is the garden island of Hawaii. We haven't been to Kauai since the hurricane a few years ago so things are probably different now but here is my take on it.

You can rent a car and drive from the wet side of the island to the dry side in a day.
There is a national park near Wailua Bay where you can snorkel.
We rented a condo overlooking Wailua Bay and went one direction one day (to dry side) and then the other direction the next to the wet side.
Grand Canyon like area and Russian fort towards the dry side of the island.
Place to hike at the end of the wet side.

One our favorite and most relaxing vacations ever.

You could also catch a flight to Honolulu, take The Bus to Pearl Harbor. There is a great market to shop in Honolulu, too. Wiakiki wasn't what I expected. Liked the less commercialized beaches on Kauai better.

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:53 PM

If I really wanted to relax I'd fly out of Sydney to New Caledonia--hop on Air France or island hopper whatever it was called to "Isle de Pins" a small island south of New Caledonia.

The most beautiful, white beaches I've ever seen--only the French and Japanese visit. If you speak English they assume you're from Oz or NZ.

It was the best part of my trip and I did Fiji, NZ, Australia & stayed the longest in Isle de Pins and the Loyalty Islands--tho pretty desolate--but if you alone time you got it!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:51 PM

Oure Lodge on Isle of Pines (Ille de Pins) is a fabulous place. We stayed at Gite Manamaky on the island and wished we'd paid the big bucks for the location between 2 of the most beautiful beaches we've seen anywhere in the world. If you're on a budget, check out www.nataiwatch.com also. I agree with libretango, New Caledonia is gorgeous!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:54 AM

Air NZ do a Pacific hopper - stops in Auckland and a choice of Fiji, Cook Islands, Tahiti, Hawaii. Do check details as this may have changed.

NZ is gorgeous but you need time - ie I wouldn't choose to stop in Auckland for 3 days if I could stop in Cooks for 3 days. It's a question of scale.

I skipped Tahiti and Hawaii (you get 2 out of the 4 island groups). Enjoyed Raratonga and that would be an excellent choice for a short stop - but best of all would be to combine that with a trip to Aitutaki in the same group. 6 years since I was there - can only assume more facilities for visitors now but that the island remains basically unchanged.

Happy travels.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:09 AM

I agree with Alice13. Visit the Cook Islands! Relaxing, remote, and very friendly people.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:33 AM

Julie: I always wonder whether a mid-Pacific stopover really helps lessen jet lag, especially if you're traveling from the US East coast. If it were me, I'd use all the time I could in Australia. You've gone all that way, it's so big and there's so much to see. Perhaps add some time in the outback...August weather will be great in the Red Center and on the Top End (Darwin, Kakadu Nat'l Park, etc).
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:24 PM
LN

It could be delightful to stop in Hawaii for a little r & R on your way home from from Oz ( or Paradise). But me - I'd take an additional 5 to seven days in Australia and forget any other destination between it and the US.

As you can see I love touring Australia!