Auckland: Vinnies Top rated
Wellington: Boulcott Street Bistro
Icon
Christchurch: Bon Joli
All top class great food .
HOpe this helps.

Old Feb 13th, 1999, 07:25 AM
Emily

In Christchurch, go to "The Sign of the Takahe" (tah-kah-hee). It's a huge, stone castle, built in the 1930's. It's in the Cashmere Hills, overlooking the city. You can get wonderful lunches, afternoon teas, and Sunday brunches. (I'm not sure about dinner).

Old Feb 14th, 1999, 01:25 PM
Richard Krause

Mauricio,

Congratulations!!!

Our favorite restaurant in NZ was in Christchurch. It was a French restaurant on Worchester St between the Cathedral and the Botanic Gardens, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Big Help . The Riverview Lodge in Christchurch is a B&B that is right on the Avon River, within 10 min walk of downtown. Very nice. Check out their web page at <http://nz.com/HeritageInns/RiverviewLodge/index>.

The most elegent B&B we stayed in in NZ was the Wanaka Stonehouse B&B. Ask for the first floor room with the king sized bed. The room is appointed very well, and the hosts George and Lynda are great. Check out their web page at <http://nz.com/webnz/bbnz/stone> Also, some very nice restaurants in Wanaka. The setting in Wanaka is superb. The town overlooks a very picturesque lake with the mountains in the background. (I wish I was back.)

Have a GREAT time.

Dick

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 10:02 AM
Lori

Hi - we went to NZ and Australia for our honeymoon last year. Here are the most romantic restaurants that we enjoyed...

Queenstown:
Gantley's - outside of town
beautiful setting.

Roaring Megs - a converted mining house with smallish rooms, candlelight dinner - excellent food.

also in Queenstown for lunch try the Gibbston Valley Winery - you can check out the Bungee Jumpers before or after as AJ Hacketts is just up the road....
and if you are big sushi fans go to
Minami Jujisei - one of the best sushi places we have EVER been to!

If you are going to Fox Glacier there aren't too many options, but Cafe Neve had terrific food.....and if you go to Fox Glacier - DEFINITELY take a walk around Lake Mattheson - esp around sunrise or sunset - the most amazing views of the Glacier - in the most glorious colors....not a hard "hike" at all....worth it!!!

Have fun....

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 04:03 AM
Trudy Meredith

Congratulations to you both. We have had several honeymooners come and stay from Australia, New Zealand, France and Usa. They loved it. You can use the suite - big and comfortable and relaxing and everyone treats you like one of the family. give us a call and we will be happy to help. I am also the chef and my specialties are seafood chowder, soups, desserts, lamb, seafood crepes, venison, lamb to name just a few.

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much would it cost for lunch/dinner @ SIGN OF THE TAKAHE?
costly?
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:51 PM

You might like to have a look at the restaurant's website at www.signofthetakahe.co.nz. I couldn't see prices, but it gives you a feel for the style of food etc. It looks fairly upmarket - typically in a restaurant of that sort in NZ, you'd be looking at around the $30 mark for a main course (or a US entree). Hope this is helpful.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 09:03 PM

lunch is actually very good value at Sign of the Takahe.. i think about NZ$20 for a lunch item.. at dinner mains are around the $35 mark, which is pretty consistent with good quality restaurants. Wine list is also reasonable, and the maitre d is happy to guide you to your price bracket. Its certainly not a cheap option, but not as pricey as people tend to think.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:52 AM

In Kaikoura, Finz Restaurant is also a great choice.....
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:07 AM

In Queenstown, you definitely should eat at the Bunker. Only seven tables (always full, so book in advance), a great wine list and the food is good. Very romantic with the fire place on.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Often said to be one of the best is the White Restaurant at the Hilton in Auckland. We liked it. Wouldn't say it was particularly romantic though.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:34 PM

If you're going to be in the Waitomo area, try the Waitomo Caves Hotel for dinner. It was an elegant meal and a surprise in such a rural setting.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:04 PM

I liked Annie's (Arts Center)for a good value or the Curators House (Botanic Garden) for more elegant experience. I was not crazy about the food at either Sign of Takahe. But the locatio is interesting (I wouldn't call it romantic)>