Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

1 Island for 8 nights - no island hopping which one to choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have to pick just one island for 8 nights at the end of this September - I am wondering what is the best overall island that has:

1. 2-3 days of Great Snorkeling
2. 2-3 days of Un-Crowded Beaches
3. 2-4 days of hiking and driving trips around the island

We don't care about fancy hotels/resorts, restaurants, or clubs as we are doing this as cheap as possible from Los Angeles.

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Oahu has the most things to do. Most places are uncrowded if you get away from Honolulu/Waikiki.

Here's a thread that has a lot of info.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34652188
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM

We spent 10 days on the Big Island, and we still didn't see it all. The beaches tend to be more crowded on the weekends because of the locals, but during the week, they are almost deserted. There are so many opportunities for hiking, and you can spend days driving around the island. There are a LOT of places to see!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 04:48 PM

All of the islands have the activities/locations you are looking for. There is no best all around island in my view. Can you imagine if someone said I am coming to the United States, which is the best overall state? Well of course you would say Hawaii LOL but after Hawaii what would you say? LOL Apples and oranges no?

Here is the way I break it down. If you want to blend cultural and outdoors activities as well as best food go Oahu.

Star gazing, GREAT Ocean life, Volcano National Park, Big Island. Punaulu....getting stuck here. Just went to big island (been several times years ago), I was blown away by the valleys, black sand beaches. But I have been blown away by Kauai too. Have been there a few times in the past 5 years.

Kauai smaller in size promises less time driving. Kauai is lovely and diverse in landscape but having said that, on the big island you can be in climates that are completely opposite not sure it gets more diverse than that... See what I mean? Always a tough call.

Thumb through the revealed books make your decision this way. Few people really get to know these islands on 1-2 trips over.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:51 PM

When we were trying to decide which island to spend 9 nights on last summer, I borrowed the Ultimate guides for each of the islands from our local library. For us, that quickly narrowed it down to Kauai. Good luck and happy planning!
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:13 PM

Sarah's right, there is no perfect answer. However, I'd suggest the Big Island.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM
MaureenB

We like the Big Island, too, for its diversity of terrain. I think it may be less expensive overall than Maui and Kauai, but I could be wrong.

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Big Island. Get "Hawaii The Big Island Revealed" for tips on less crowded beaches. The Kona Coast has amazingly clear water. Hiking around Volcanos NP, and seeing the lava at night, is fantastic.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 11:02 PM

You really do need to check the Ultimate "Revealed" books for each island. Each Island is going to offer you what you have on your list and everyone has a favorite.

That being said...KAUAI

12 days, 800 driving miles, mountain hiking, beach hiking, jungle hiking, snorkling beaches by the dozen. So much beach, so little island that there are not enough people to go to all of the beaches. Had an entire bay to ourselves and one day even my zoom lens couldn't pick up the people closest to us on the beach. Great island feeling!
Bonus: with exception to Oahu, Waikiki Deals, Kauai was the most reasonably priced for dining, lodging and car rental

Best wishes on whichever you choose, it's all fantastic!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As mentioned already each of the islands has all the things you mention wanting.

For the <cheap as possible from Los Angeles> part, I'm guessing flying into Honolulu and staying on Oahu would fit that part best.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I just got a pile of guidebooks from the public library which cover all the islands, because I'm trying to figure out the same decision for myself and my family. Moon Publications "Hawaii: all island guide" looks good.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:32 AM

In my opinion, hands down, OAHU!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Despite the infestation of huge mosquitos, the 24/7 rain, and all those frickin chickens, we really liked Kauai.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:09 AM
iw

Maui was great. Lots to see and do. Great food, excellent golf courses. We were there for 8 days and didn't get to see it all.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help everybody, I am going to pick up those "Revealed" books to look at today.