accomodation in Sydney

Jan 5th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

accomodation in Sydney

Hi I am struggling to find suitable accomodation in Sydney for 4 nights in July for 2 adults and 2 children, both aged 14. We need something quite central but finance is important too. Any ideas?
Jan 5th, 2004, 09:51 AM

How about clarifying what you mean by "suitable accommodation"? We may be able to reduce your "struggling".

What do you need/ want - tent, cardboard box, (not recommended in winter!) caravan, serviced apartment, hotel, B&B? Plenty of options available - but need more info!
Jan 5th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

We, anywhere where my children could at least have a bed each. A serviced apartment or hotel (I am trying to give up the cardboard boxes) would be good. I have some details of some serviced apartments but they are not very central.
Jan 5th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Janese

If you look on the www.wotif.com.au site you will find a lot of hotels etc listed there and if you click on the hotel name it will tell you what the room configuration is i.e. 1 Queen and 2 singles etc.
There are quite a number of very nice apartment hotels which not only give you 2 bedrooms but lounge, kitchen and dining room and one that comes to mind is the Park Apartments which information is not really that good for you because they have had a name change and I don't know what that is but they are up the Kings X side of Hyde Park near the Koala Inn, I have stayed there and they were very nice - if Alan takes a look at this he will know which I am referring to.

Jan 6th, 2004, 07:30 AM

I highly recommend the Bed & Breakfast Sydney Harbour. I spent a week there in October 2002 and I had a wonderful stay. It's a VERY short walk to the Opera House and the Circular Quay (where all the ferries leave from) and the room rates include a wonderful breakfast. It is located next to the ANA Hotel and, as a result, you have regular access to a taxi stand. I'm not sure they have a room large enough to accomodate the four of you, but since your children ARE 14, perhaps you could book two rooms with either private baths or book (at a cheaper rate) two rooms and share one bathroom with your kids. They have a site (http://www.bbsydneyharbour.com.au/). Check 'em out and good luck! I'm jealous!
Jan 6th, 2004, 09:15 AM

OK.
This is where price comes into the equation. Quay West apartments are amazingly central, but quite expensive.

Stafford apartments in the Rocks are less expensive, but...you gets what you pays for.

The suggestion to look at wotif.com, or needitnow.com.au is quite good. Not that you can book it now, but there is a search facility, you can look for 2-bedroom apartments, and see where they are. You can then contact the hotel direct and see what they are asking for July. OR - you could wait until a week or so before you arrive, and then check the sites (and ratestogo.com.au) and book something then.

There have been a couple of threads in the past few months about apartments inSydney, both long and short term. Search for Sydney apartments.

Also - look out for Mucky's report on his trip for his comments on the Waldorf Apartments - he should post when he gets over his jetlag.

Jan 6th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your' help on this, much appreciated! Someone has also recommended the YHA to me. Has anyone stayed at the central one is Sydney? Is it ok for families?
Jan 6th, 2004, 12:22 PM

Hi - my family of 4 stayed at the Menzies hotel in Sydney - centrally located and is across the street from the subway - you can use it to get to airport or elsewhere. About a 10 minute walk to the harbourfront. We had two double beds in the room and it was around $125 US per night.
Jan 6th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Hi, katiekoko!

I think that the hotel Janese (a few posts above) was referring to is the Park regis. It is VERY central to shops, the subway, and the George St entertainment strip.

After reading what you want and the kind of price you want to pay, I think I would give the Grand in Hunter St a try. If I recall, a four-bedder about twelve months ago went for around $130 a night. I guess for that price you won't get cooking facilities, but you are very close to a lot of under-the-shops eateries which traditionally lower their prices on take-away foods after about 4 p.m., and you could always eat in your room. Also, the Grand is only a minutes' walk from the Wynyard subway, just down the hill from historic Macquarie St, and no more than ten minutes' stroll from the harbour foreshores, where you will pay three or four times the price for a bed. The building itself is quite pleasant -- its main point of interest is that the historic Tank Stream flows underneath it. It has recently come under new management, so this may have had an effect on prices.

If a cheap serviced apartment is still your number-one choice, you may score a bargain at Napoleon-on-Kent, a place I seldom recommend because, while its LOCATION down near the end of Kent St, a few minutes' walk to the harbour, and just near an entrance to the subway, is just dandy, its POSITION, actually under a freeway overpass, is a bit of a turn-off. I often wonder what people who book it woithout knowing that fact musdt think when they see it for the first time. However, the price might compensate for its position, and you will certainly take a photograph and use it as a talking point for the folks back home! Their prices on the net are a bit over $100 per night, but I have seen a banner at the entrance offering apartments for less than that, so a phone call might pay dividends.

Good luck!
Jan 8th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your' suggestions, really helpful! Not sure about staying under a subway though. It might be a bit noisy after a long haul flight.
Jan 8th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Hi katiekoko,
Sounds like you could use a stay at the Waldorf apartments in Liverpool st, good location for Darling harbour. kitchen A/C and very reasonably priced.
My trip report is yet to come but for the price it offers really good value.
Around $170 for a 1 bed aptmt.
We stayed there over new year with 2 teenagers and it was really quite comfortable.
http://www.waldorf-apartments-hotel-...u/contact.html

Good luck
Muck
Jan 8th, 2004, 09:14 PM
MD

did you try www.jasons.com?
Jan 9th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. That is a really useful web site.
Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:16 AM

Topping for a new request