Search

YMCA Int'l House Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YMCA Int'l House Hong Kong?

Hi,
I'm heading off to Hong Kong in mid-Oct and was debating about some hotels. A family member has recommended the YMCA Int'l House at 23 Waterloo Road but I would like to get other's opinions of it's location relative to the shopping/attractions, quality of rooms (both in the original part and in the tower), etc. There just doesn't seem to be any online reviews that I've come across. I was also debating between the Hyatt Regency or the YMCA Salisbury, both of which seem to be in a location with more action.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:52 PM

the salisbury is decent...like a usa holiday inn really...you could not get a better location...the kowloon hotel across the street is decent also...

hyatt is up the street and decent but older...
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 07:26 PM

The YMCA Salisbury is a 3-4* hotel, next to The Peninsula. Excellent location, great value.

The YMCA International House is totally different, basically a 1-2* hotel that provides a clean place to stay and not much more. It's location is not bad - steps from the Yau Ma Tei MTR, and very close to the shopping district of Mongkok.

Just two different class of accomodation.

From what I've read, the condition of the Hyatt is pretty poor. It should be closing soon for redevelopment. There are better choices in Tsim Sha Tsui.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 07:33 PM

I stayed at the Hyatt last year. It's the oldest Hyatt in Asia. the rooms were good-sized but the hotel itself is worn, and they are getting ready to tear it down. It's a great location, and if you can get a great price, go for it. Otherwise, I'd stick with the Salisbury.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:56 PM

In terms of location, I would say Int'l House just as good as YMCA Salisbury. It's just right above the MTR station and only 10-15 min walk to Mongkok shopping area.

Of course, in terms of room quality, they are two totally different classes as rkkwan said.

So, if you are looking for cheap, convenient, basic accomodation, YMCA In'tl Hse is a good choice.