Yet another hong kong hotel question!

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another hong kong hotel question!

Will be in HKG next week for four nights. This will be our first trip want to sightsee and visit HKG Fashion Week at the Convention Centre. We want a decent place...willing to spend $200/night...willing to splurge and spend more too!

Here are my choices:

1. Sheraton (I heard there is lots of noisy construction in the area and should be avoided...true or false)

2. The Kowloon Hotel @ 19-21 Nathan road (splurge and get a nicer room)

3. The Renaissance Kowloon (this must be right next door to the one above...or is it a sister property?)

We are interested in convenient LOCATION in a busy area with easy access to resturants and transportaton more than anything. View isn't as important as we will be out and about. Salisbury YMCA is all booked up.

I know this topic has been done to death on this board but a comparison between these 3 is what I'm looking for. Also any other suggestions you would like to throw into the mix. Also, do Hong Kong hotels not offer breakfast as part of the room rate?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:12 PM

i believe the kowloon hotel is out of business...

the renaissance is very nice and well located...
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:23 PM

If you want to sightsee and esp if you want to go to the Fashion Week at the Convention Centre on Hong Kong Island, why are you staying on Kowloon? You are going to spend a lot of time going across the harbour either on the ferry or by the subway. Consider the Renaissance Harbour View Hotel which is right across the street from the Convention Centre. This shares a pool deck with the Grand Hyatt. I am not usually a fan of this area as I think it is a bit isolated, but as you want to go to the Convention Centre at least once if not daily, I think it would be fine. It is a longish walk to other places from here, and to the subway and tram lines, and getting a cab from here can be an issue, but overall would be OK and this hotel should be in the price range.

1. There is a good bit of street and subway construction around the Sheraton. However, there is always construction going on around that area, and its a busy intersection of two major roads, so its noisy anyway. If you are on a high floor this should not be an issue.

2. The Kowloon Hotel is still there, it is just no longer owned and operated by the Peninsula group. It is directly behind the Peninsula hotel. Fine location IF you want to be in Kowloon (don’t know why anyone does if you don’t have a view, which you won’t and esp for you as
you want to go to the Convention Centre at least once if not daily).

3. The Renaissance Kowloon Hotel is not next door to the Kowloon Hotel, but is not too far. It is actually next door to the Intercontinental. Again, an OK location if you want to be on Kowloon. I think the Kolwoon Hotel is a better location UNLESS you can get a harbour view at the Renaissance New World, which I don’t’ think is possible. The Kowloon Hotel is a few blocks closer to the Star Ferry and very close to an MTR subway station.

Of the hotels you have named, I would take a harbour view room on a high floor at the Sheraton. But mostly I would stay on the Hong Kong Island side. Esp if you want good restaurants. There are many, many more on the Hong Kong side.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM

1. Sheraton. There's road construction on Salisbury Road in front of the Sheraton, but nothing particularly noisy. I don't think I've heard of anybody complaining.

2. The Kowloon Hotel is in operation. It changed hand about 2 years ago, so it's now run by the Harbour Plaza Hotel group and not the Peninsula group. Standard rooms have tiny rooms.

3. The Renaissance is across Salisbury Road from the Sheraton. No harborview from its rooms. The problem with its location is that you have use the pedestrian tunnel to cross Salisbury Road to get back to the Sheraton side, and that tunnel is not connected to the MTR/KCRC stations. So, you go down, up, and down again to get to the MTR. Renaissance is a Marriott brand. Not related to the Kowloon Hotel.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:37 PM

For under $200 next week, the best hotel you can get is the Langham Place in Mongkok. Bookable through Expedia and elsewhere for about $162. It's not the most convenient to get to the Conventional Center, but that's the best deal.

Or take the Harbour Plaza in Hung Hom. $166 for harborview room. I usually don't recommend it because it has no MTR, but you can take the Star Ferry to Wan Chai - the pier is next to the Convention Center.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all replies. We can spend a bit more than $200 if necessary. If it gets us a great location. Cicerone, the reason why we didn't pick the Renaissance Harbour View Hotel is because of the out of the way location. We will be at the convention centre during the day maybe once or twice but at night and the rest of the time we want to be out and about and well positioned for food, shopping and wandering. When you say out of the way... it is a bit of a concern. Maybe a hotel in Central would be best? I've looked at the Biship Lei-- quite basic, and the Rombus LKF... looks pretty hip.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

oops! posted too soon. Any other suggestions for well located, close to transport and walking distance to shopping and resturant areas in Central. We like vibrant areas with lots of life at night.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:11 PM

The Renaissance Harbourview and the Convention Center is quite a walk to the MTR trains. That's the main problem. But you can always take a taxi, or the Star Ferry across the harbor to Tsimshatsui.

I see its rates to be $200+ for a harborview room next week. Not the best deal out there.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:13 PM

If you like lots of restaurants and stuff going on at night, why not Causeway Bay? Plenty of hotels there - Excelsior, Parklane, Metropark and standard decent hotels. Or try the newer and more interesting Jia or Lanson Place.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM

If you decide that you want to stay in Kowloon I would also suggest that you take a look at the Hong Kong Hotel. (It's now called the Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel, but don't confuse it with the old Marco Polo Hotel. With all these name changes, you need a program.)

The HK Hotel is an older property (about he same vintage as the Sheraton) and while not luxurious by any means has big rooms and an excellent location in the Harbor City complex and very near the Star Ferry. You can get a harbor view for about $US200. Among the hotels that you are considering in Kowloon, this would be my choice.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM

I would put Hotel LKF in the main running if you want to be able to walk to some very good restaurants and night life, and a good bit of interesting shopping (by which I mean antiques, little boutiques for clothes/shoes/bags, etc; and NOT fake Prada bags) and then the interesting veg/fruit/meat markets of Peel and Graham Streets for wandering or a bit further to the dried fish and Chinese medicine shops in Sheung Wan. Not sure you can get a room in that price range. US$200 does not really buy you very much in Hong Kong to be honest, you can get smallish rooms mostly and more basic. You won’t get luxury. Don’t forget service charge and room tax, which all in will be about 13-15% (some hotels charge more for service charge, government room tax is 3% but there is always a service charge).

To answer your question on your first post, it is not usual to include breakfast in the rate. The Hotel LFK does seem to on their website. You may be able to negotiate for this at some hotels, but generally to the best of my knowledge Hong Kong hotels don’t have this practice.