Hotels in Hong Kong

Search

Hotels in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Hong Kong

So many to choose from. Any recs in the $250-$300 range? Has anyone stayed at the Gateway Marco Polo, Royal Pacific or Nathan?
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 05:56 PM

Not at Gateway Marco Polo, but I have stayed at Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel (on Kowloon) and have returned there because I like the hotel and the location.

Carol
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 07:14 PM

Hven't been to Hong Kong yet, but we've booked five nights at the Novotel Hotel on Nathan Rd. It has gotten some good reviews and its location seems fairly central Good luck finding a hotel and enjoy your trip
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM

As I have said numerous times on this board, I am not a fan of the Kowloon side. Too crowded with tourists, not a whole lot of good restaurants, and not really a whole lot to do. Unless you have a harbour view room, I don't get the point in staying there. And none of the hotels on your list have a view. The Gateway/Marco Polo/Pacific Royal offers some views, many will be more western facing, could be quite pretty for sunset. But even then I don't think I would take it. I am glad Carol liked the hotel, but I find the mall in which those hotels are located to be too large and crowded to handle, and its seems you are always taking long walks to reach anything. It's like a 15 minute walk to the Star Ferry, which is literally at the end of the mall. Of the 3, which are located in the same row of buildings, the Royal Pacific was most recently redone and probably has the nicest rooms.

On the Kowloon side with that budget I probably would suggest the <b>Salisbury YMCA</b> first. You can get a suite or large harbour view room. Drawback for you is that these are often booked months ahead, but do check. It’s not really a Y, it’s like a good 3 star or possibly 4 star hotel. Can’t beat the location really, even if it is in Kowloon, it’s practically at the Star Ferry pier. See http://www.asiatravel.com/hongkong/y...ury/index.html

The <b>Sheraton Hotel and Towers</b> just down the street from the Salisbury may not offer harbour view rooms at that price, but you might check it, that would be a good choice, IMO. The <b>Hyatt Regency</b> may also work if you can get a harbour view room.

The Nathan is not going to offer views. And their website says they are undergoing renovation "until early October". Beware of this, as it may still be going on for your trip (not sure when that is). Construction is never really on time here. Read tripadvisor.com and make sure that construction is finished before you make any non-refundable bookings.

But my recco would really be to try to stay on the Hong Kong side (assuming you can't get a harbour view room in Kowloon). I see from your other posts that you may prefer an international chain hotel. The <b>Courtyard by Marriott</b> in Sheung Wan to the west of Central on Hong Kong Island may be a good idea. With your budget, I would look at the largest rooms and esp the corner suites. I really like the location of this hotel, as it is in a very interesting, <i>very local</i> traditional neighborhood full of medicine shops, dried fish stalls, tea stalls, temples, and all sorts of old-fashioned shops you don’t find in many parts of Hong Kong any longer. Their rooms have some very nice harbour views and their corner suites are really something. If you really want a feel for a traditional Hong Kong neighborhood, this area is IMO an excellent choice. It is on a major bus line and on the street tram line, and the hotel offers a shuttle bus service, so transport should not be a major issue. (Plus the neighborhood is so interesting for walking.) The hotel has no pool and the rooms, other than corner rooms or suites can be small, so get the largest room you can.

You might try to <b>JW Marriott</b> (that may be out of the budget, but check). The <b>Renaissance Harbour View</b> may work, IMO it is just a bit out of the way in terms of location. (The Courtyard Marriott is also out of the way, but in a much more interesting neighborhood so IMO it's worth the trip. It also is on a major bus line and the street tram line, which is not true of the Renaissance.)

The <b>Crowe Plaza</b> in Happy Valley offers race track and other views, and is in an interesting neighborhood. Close to major transportation.

A non-chain suggestion would be the <b>Bishop Lei International House</b>. This hotel is in mid-levels which makes it very convenient for things like dinner, exploring Soho and Hollywood Road, etc. Their room rates are very good. With your budget you can get a harbour view suite, which is a good thing as rooms tend to be small but the suites are a nice size. http://www.bishopleihtl.com.hk

Finally, I would say to take a look at the <b>Mercer</b>, which opened a year or so ago. http://www.themercer.com.hk/ Great location in a mix of an old and new neighborhood. Walkable to Central and also to the interesting market areas. I have never been able to see a room because every time I stop by, they are fully booked. But it looks very nice from the lobby, which is often a giveaway. From the website, it appears to have large rooms 300 -500 square feet which for this budget (and for Hong Kong) is a very good size.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM

What dates? It's crazy to spend $250, let alone $300 on the Royal Pacific or Nathan.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 09:11 AM

We liked being on the Kowloon side, probably because we liked using the ferry as our primary means of transportation.

Just chiming in to say I would not consider the Salisbury Y a 4* hotel. - it's in a great location, and has nice common areas, but the room we had was vintage "Holiday Inn 1980" - definitely in need of modernizing. Nothing bad about it, but nothing special either. We did have a great view of the harbor.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all the info. I'm starting to re think the Kowloon side. Going to look into some of your reccos.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 04:43 PM

I have said this probably 1000 times here. People kill too many neurons debating HK Island vs Kowloon. For every person who says "Don't stay in Kowloon", I can find 0.8 to 1.2 persons who will tell you they love Kowloon.

Seriously, one should look for the best hotel for your budget on the days you want. And location and transportation is important, for both sides of the harbor.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Bookmarking.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe the rooms differ - but mine at the Salisbury YMCA was wonderful. Not over the top/posh or anything but large, modern, clean and the MOST AMAZING views across to Hong Kong. The nightly light show was right there across the water. And just steps to the ferry so you could get anywhere quickly. A couple of days I crossed over an back several times.

I'd love to stay on the Hong Kong side, but I don't see how the views could compare for the price.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 08:48 PM

I prefer Hong Kong side too, but because of business requirements I've almost always stayed on Kowloon side.

There are three Marco Polo properties in a row -- Prince, Gateway and The Hong Kong Hotel. I'd go with the Hong Kong Hotel, but make sure you get a harbour view .

The Hong Kong Hotel is like an old work horse. It offers a good value, but it's not going to win any awards for design or ambiance. The location is excellent -- convenient to the Star Ferry, the MTR and most of Kowloon; the rooms are spacious; the views can be wonderful. Aside from the preponderance tour groups, the service is friendly and helpful.
Old Oct 29th, 2012, 11:06 AM

I find the traveler's photos on Trip Advisor are always accurate.