Hong Kong - Hyatt Hotels

Search

Hong Kong - Hyatt Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong - Hyatt Hotels

We signed up for a Hyatt card, and we now have a free 2 night stay in a Hyatt hotel. We plan on using it in Hong Kong in January, at the end of our SE Asia trip. Which Hyatt hotel do you recommend, and why? (This will be our 1st time in Hong Kong). Thank you for your advice.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 02:03 PM

With Hong Kong's hotelprices, using your 2 free nights there is an excellent idea.

There are 3 Hyatts in HKG: The Hyatt Regency in Tsim SHa Tsui (TST), the Grand Hyatt on Hong Kong Island, and the Hyatt Regency in Sha Tin. Of these, the choice for you would be either the Tsim Sha Tsui or Hong Kong Island properties, as Sha Tin is several miles outside the city center.

The Grand Hyatt is a nicer property, as the Grand Hyatt brand is more upscale than is the Regency. This means that there will likely be more staff on hand, rooms bigger on average, and furnishings better. I have stayed in the TST hotel, and it is still a very fine hotel.

However, I think that the TST location is superior to the Hong Kong Island location, unless you get a harbour-view room. And with the Hyatt free nights, you will definitely not get a harbour view, unless possibly you are a Diamond member (and probably not even then). The TST is in the middle of a lively and busy area, and just a few steps away from the Promenade for the best view of Victoria Harbour. The Grand Hyatt is adjacent to the convention center, but it's a bit of a walk to the neighborhoods and places where you'd most enjoy walking around. The TST location is only a half-block from the MTR (subway), while the Grand Hyatt is a bit further away.

All of that said, either hotel would be a good choice.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM

good use for that bonus.. always go for the most upscale, imo
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 08:00 PM

I agree that the Kowloon/TST hotel is probalby the best choice. The Grand Hyatt is rather isolated; it's just that too bit far too want to walk to or from it. Even in January's nice temps. Lines for taxis can be long. Some of their "harbour view" rooms look into the pool deck and out through the the two towers which form the complex, so views can be obscured a bit. (I also have a problem with all the black marble they use, it's just too OTT for me.)

If you can't get a harbour view room at the Kowloon hotel, at least try for a Towers room and ask for executive club access. Towers rooms are larger and nicer, IMO. Their executive lounge has a nice harbour view, and you can have breakfast and then drinks/snacks during the day. Worth any extra points this may cost you, IMO.
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your detailed replies. We are deciding and will make reservation. Yes, we think it is a very good use of bonus. Again, thanks to all.
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 02:10 PM

How long will you be staying in Hong Kong? We, too, got the Hyatt credit card but my husband and I each got one so that we have four nights "free" or for the cost of two annual fees ($150) and we, too, decided that the Kowloon Hyatt offers the best location and all the reviews are very positive. The Hyatt person I spoke to said that having the Hyatt credit card/Gold Passport or higher membership, should help to get an upgrade IF any rooms are available at check in, but the standard room is what's offered with the card when you reserve. It is an amazing deal--one can use it for any Hyatt anywhere in the world from the Tokyo Grand Hyatt with its $900 a night room to their resorts. Hong Kong made the most sense for us.
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM

<<<The Hyatt person I spoke to said that having the Hyatt credit card/Gold Passport or higher membership, should help to get an upgrade IF any rooms are available at check in, but the standard room is what's offered with the card when you reserve>>>

We used ours (also four nights) for the Grand Hyatt Kauai and we were upgraded without even asking (it was shoulder season).
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi 520,

We are staying 2 nights in January. I think that we will stay at the Grand Hyatt.
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt while stranded in Hong Kong last summer due to mechanical difficulties on our United flight to the the US from Singapore. It is a very nice hotel with great views (from the upper floor that we were on anyway), and several restaurants. I have no idea whether the location is any good as we were only there for the night.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 09:21 PM

The Chinese President is staying at the GH the next two nights. While the main reason that's chosen is location - attached to the Convention Center for the ceremonies - I guess the hotel can't be that shabby either.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 04:56 AM

Maybe he signed up for the Hyatt charge card and got 2 free nights, too.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 06:13 AM

Don - Must be!
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 06:36 AM

As a Platinum member with your Hyatt cc you are entitled to an upgraded room upon check-in if available. In my experiences in Asia the Hyatt hotel front desk clerks are very aware of your status and realize that "face" is a big thing,they will upgrade you without asking if the upgraded room is available. When you are a Diamond member the statues in the lobby bow to you when you arrive.......just kidding

Aloha!