Y.M.C.A Hotels in Hong Kong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand there are 2 YMCA hotels in Hong Kong (Kowloon). Anybody out there ever stay in one and have an opinion?
Thanks!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM

There are <b>three</b> YMCA hotels in Hong Kong, run by two separate YMCAs organizations.

The YMCA Salisbury is the one most people will recommend. It's next to tbe Peninsula in Tsimshatsui, and many rooms have excellent views. It's also run like a 3.5-4* hotel. It is run by the &quot;YMCA of Hong Kong&quot;, locally referred to as the &quot;western YMCA&quot;.

The &quot;Chinese YMCA of Hong Kong&quot; has two hotels:

The YMCA International House is in Yau Ma Tei, two MTR stops up Nathan Road. It's a no-frills 3* hotel. Some of my relatives stayed there recently, and it's also fine. But it's not in the same class as the YMCA Salisbury, and also cheaper. The location actually is not bad, right next to MTR entrance, and has lots of buses down to the Star Ferry. Also steps from the Temple Street Market, Ladies' Market, etc.

The Harbour View International House is in Wan Chai, next to the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, and the Convention Center (where the Grand Hyatt is). It's not the most convenient, but many rooms offer harborview. Haven't heard much about its rooms, but I suspect them to be better than the International House, but worse than the Salisbury.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM

We stayed at the Salisbury Y last Christmas. Fabulous harbor view from the 15th floor. Rooms are basic looking...sort of like a Ramada Inn in the 80's- Oak furniture, floral bedspread, etc. But our rooms were immaculate and quiet, the beds were very comfortable, and the bathroom was big.

The restaurant is not all that good (our room included breakfast, I think) but at the price, you can go out and eat somewhere great!

We loved the location...you can walk to the subway or to the ferry and there is lots of shopping nearby as well.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM

I actually like the restaurant at the YMCA Salisbury-for breakfast particularly, but for other meals as well-I'm talking about the cafeteria style restaurant on the ground floor.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM

I stayed in the YMCA Salisbury 4 or 5 years ago. Clean and comfortable, short on frills. It's right next to the Peninsula hotel. As with lcuy, I also had a harbor view room with an incredible view - the view is what really made the hotel exceptional for me.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Just returned from Hong Kong and a three night stay at the Salisbury YMCA recommended on previous posts from RKK.

View is just incredible from huge corner suites, and location very convenient to the airport express bus, and subway. Rooms were clean and comfortable if not spartan and staff very helpful.

We ate at both the downstairs coffee shop- food was inexpensive and simple. Dinner buffet in Salisbury room was excellent.

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Rkkwan, what about the YMCA in Yau Ma Tei-I like this part of Kowloon a lot-I got a terrific trim, wash, blow-dry and flat iron in Yau Ma Tei a couple of years ago for $5.00 US-he did such a great job I wanted to give him a tip of US$4.00-but he wouldn't take my money!

I like Hong Kong a lot.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Oops-this posted before I was finished. My question was, Rkkwan, at the YMCA in Yau Ma Tei-what are the rates there? Do the rooms have views of Nathan Road, and is it near the Holiday Inn Nathan Rd?
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 10:47 AM

The Holiday Inn Golden Mile is right in the heart of Tsimshatsui, just a couple of blocks north of the Sheraton.

But the YMCA International House is two MTR stops to the north at the junction of Nathan Rd and Waterloo Rd. About 10 minutes by bus, perhaps 25 minutes walking.

The hotel is actually one block east of Nathan Rd, and faces Waterloo Rd. I haven't been up to its rooms, but the upper-most floors should have a nice view over the King's Park garden.

Hotel rates vary in Hong Kong greatly, but I think $80-90 will be a typical rate there.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Right, I know where the HI Golden Mile is, as I had dim sum there at their Chinese restaurant on the bottom floor-it was quite good, btw.

That's why I wanted to know how far from there the YMCA International was. I'll keep that in mind for future reference-thanks.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Oh, measuring on Google Earth, it's 1.8km from the Holiday Inn Golden Mile to the junction of Waterloo Road.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help to everyone!!