Reload this Page >

Salisbury YMCA in Hong Kong

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Lynn

I am planning a trip to Hong Kong and want to know if anyone has stayed at the Salisbury YMCA. It sounds great from their web site and other info. that I've read.<BR>Is it really like a hotel?

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Myszka

According to my friends that lived in Hong Kong and some tourists I met in Hong Kong that stayed there, The YMCA, it is supposed to be nice. That is what a I heard over and over again. It looked nice from the outside and is in a good location. <BR> Myszka

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 07:03 PM
Faith

We stayed there twice in October, 1994 -- it was fabulous. We were upgraded from a view room to a suite (if you can imagine a suite at a Y!) We loved every minute. There are washers and dryers on one of the floors, if you need to do laundry. There is a restaurant (or two, I think) -- and the location couldn't be better.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:03 PM
xxx

Yes, it is really like a hotel, and in a great location. A friend of mine always stays there with her mother, who is a Texas oil queen with a lot of money.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 01:04 AM
Xenos

Ok, I know the YMCA isn't a profit-driven hotel group, but it still looks too good to be true - a harbour view exec suite for less than the price of a standard double at other hotels in the area. <BR>Are there any catches, like is there a bar, do they have rooms for smokers and do you have to be a Christian to stay there?

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 11:10 AM
xxx

I don't know if there is a bar in the hotel, but what do you care? You are in the middle of Kowloon with a million places to get a drink within a few blocks. And no, you do not have to be a Christian to stay there!<BR><BR>Can't answer about smoking, but I'm guessing no problem. Quit and you'll live longer.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Xenos

Thanks for the reassurance about my lack of Christianity xxx - at least that's one thing. <BR><BR>The reason I like to have a bar in my hotel is because, at the end of a long day's sight-seeing, I sometimes like to come in and have a few drinks, knowing that my room and bed are only a lift ride away.<BR><BR>As for smoking, I did quit last year and gained approximately 30 pounds in less than 9 months. At that rate I'd probably have about 3 years to live and be thoroughly miserable for most of the time. So, for now at least, I'll take my chances with the cigarettes.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:14 AM
a

There is a great bar just next door at the Peninsula. It cannot be more than 3 mintues stagger to the Y.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:28 AM
on

Xenos<BR><BR>You need not be Christian to stay there. A warning, though, for you non-Christians - If from the next room you hear someone say &quot;Oh Jesus, I'm coming&quot; don't automatically assume a religous intent. They may be being 'Raptured' but there is more than one meaning to this word.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:16 PM
bob

i have stayed there twice...couldn't ask for a better location...compare it to a mid-level holiday inn in the states...it is a hotel...right next to the peninsula<BR>last march i stayed at the kowloon hotel, which owned by the peninsula and is located right in back of it adajacent to the Y...room are small but we liked it...try the dim sum in the basement restaurant of the kowloon, even if you do not stay there

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Marilyn Bartholomew

I am a senior citizen and travel alone many times. When I stayed at the Salisbury YMCA in Hong Kong, I felt very safe and satisfied. The people are very friendly and the accomodations are reasonable and adequate--plus the location is great--just off of Nathan Street for shopping. I made all of my arrangements by e-mail, including changes, with no problem. I highly recommend staying there and will always use them in the future.<BR>Marilyn Bartholomew<BR>