Search

Quirky China

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quirky China

Just planning a trip for self, husband and 13 yr old son to Beijing, Xian and Shanghai. We have 13 days. Any ideas for entertainment or quirky things to do that might suit us all, especially the 13 yr old who may become bored with shopping and ancient monuments? We are going in Sept. Thx in advance.
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Are these any help?

http://gochina.about.com/od/whattose...p/SH_Kids1.htm

http://www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo/China/china.htm
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:10 AM

if you love China look this

Beijing Shanghai Xi'An an Unforgettable travel

http://digilander.libero.it/fotocina/

in this WEB SITE there are approximately 500 photos to high definition.

China a Wonderful country, fantastic people!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Marlo, We have about the same amount of days in the same cities but not until june 08. Could you please let us know how you ended up dividing your time in each city and I alm also interested in how you traveled between the cities (air, train,).
Thank you! [email protected]
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 04:06 AM

13, 33 or 73 - as with pretty much anywhere, it is not the "must sees" that remain in the memory. It's the serendipitous stuff. So take the time to go wander, especially in Xian. Beijing too, where I remember coming across outdoor ballroom dancing lessons; hairdressing competitions; old men playing chess; and the street markets where all life was on show. Hutong tours are available I believe.

Or you could hire a bike and take yourselves on a voyage of exploration throught the back alleys. That's where real life is, and it is SO different from the West that your son would have to be seriously jaded not to be enamoured.

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 09:30 AM
cwn

Hi,

I totally agree with chimani. When we were in Beijing several years ago, we went to the Park around the Temple of Heaven early(for us)-a little before 7. We were headed to see the Temple. We first wandered around the park for a while watching the various activities-people ballroom dancing, doing all sorts of exerices with swords and playing a yoyo like thing on a string(sorry don't know the name). All the activity was so neat to watch and so different from what we see at home-your son would love it.

Plus the people were so friendly, shy also. But seeing how interested my husband was-several offered to show him how to do what they were doing. It was so much fun. We don't speak Chinese, but smiles and hand motions are universal.

We are planninng another trip to Asia that will incude Xian- to see the Warriors, but we are looking forward to finding the same type of low key experiences there too.

Also in Beijing, we had a great time wondering around the narrow shop lined streets several blocks from the Forbidden City (with your back to the front of the FC across the major street and walk several blocks to the right and several blocks into the area). There were few Westerns in this area. It was away from the tourist shopping area right in front of the FC. The tiny shops, homes and street activity were most interesting. A great snapshoot of everyday life in Beiging. From what I have read, this area may have been torn down though, if so, what a same.

Have a great trip!