What about Hiroshima?

Search

What about Hiroshima?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2013, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about Hiroshima?

I am thinking about a 12 day tour of Japan. Never been there. The tour offers a 3-day/2- night extension to Hiroshima. Would there be enough of interest there? I know that the city was bombed heavily in the war, so is there enough in Hiroshima to spend valuable time and money getting there?
Thanks, Margo
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 12:40 PM

I stopped off in Hiroshima on my way back from Nagasaki. One day was plenty to spend at the memorial site and it was worth the time. Other than stroll from the JR station to the memorial and back, I didn't see much else. I did a lot of solo travelling up and down Japan while DS was teaching in Hokkaido and Chiba.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 01:20 PM

It's not so much that the city was "bombed heavily"; it's that Hiroshima suffered the first atomic bomb ever used. 70,000 people (exact number will never be known) died instantly or within a few hours. The Peace Park at the center of the explosion is a solemn place and well worth visiting.

The Shukkeien garden, a short walk from the train station, is a gorgeous garden, a lovely spot to spend a few hours.

Miyajima, an island just off the coast from Hiroshima, is a pleasant spot to explore and do a bit of hiking, if that interests you.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 02:07 PM

I agree with DonTopaz--the Peace Park is very moving, and it's interesting to visit the museum in the park to get a Japanese perspective on the atomic bombing that destroyed the city. The garden near the train station is lovely, and the central business district has covered arcades with plenty of shops. If you're there in baseball season you can try to go to a game, if that interests you--a different experience from seeing a game in the U.S.

Does the tour extension provide 2 nights in Hiroshima itself? If so I would do a day trip to Miyajima, which is easy to get to, but better would be to do an overnight on Miyajima so you can experience the island without all the tourists and see the famous floating torii gate in the bay and the Itsukushima shrine nearby in different light and water levels (fluctuating from the tides).
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 03:38 PM
kja

I agree with the others -- Hiroshima is very well worth visiting. The Peace Park, Peace Museum, and A-Bomb Dome are each extraordinarily moving. I believe Hiroshima also has an art museum that has an unusual collection, but I didn't have time to visit, so can't speak to its merits. See http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2160.html

And Miyajima is also very worth a visit IMO. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3401.html

Are you fully committed to taking a tour? Many of us have found it very easy to visit Japan independently.
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for your input. I have not made any final decision about which tour to take, but I will be taking a tour as my own preference.
The tour that I am looking at that goes to Hiroshima stays 2 nights at Hotel Granvia Hiroshima. Sights covered include Itsukushima Shrine, touring by local "Hiroden" train (not sure what that is), a visit to Peace Memorial Park and Museum, and Japan Maritime Service School. Any comments about these sites?

Thanks again,
Margo
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 02:01 PM

hiroshima is a very nice city, and the atomic bomb museum is a must see. i was recently in hiroshima for three days, and used it as a base for day trips to iwakuni and miyajima. if you do go to miyajima, you can use your jr pass on the jr ferry
Old Sep 1st, 2013, 02:10 PM

The tour covers the main sites. It is very easy to do on your own, too. How much extra is the cost - you could compare tour cost to DIY or private tour even.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 05:09 PM

Itsukushima Shrine is on Miyajima (I will be visiting it in November), so I'm gathering that one day of your trip will be spent on Miyajima which looks absolutely breathtaking!