Family Trip to Japan

Search

Family Trip to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family Trip to Japan

I am trying to plan a 14 night trip to Japan - 2 adults and 2 kids - ages 11 and 9. We fly in and out of Tokyo in April. I think I would like to go to Hiroshima, Kyoto, Nara, Hakone, possibly Osaka? I want to spend the first 2 nights in tokyo - possibly in Shibuya and then head off to other locations. Do I need a 14 day Rail pass - or could I get away with a 7 day pass? Any suggestions on day trips/places to stop from Tokyo/Hakone to Kyoto - and Kyoto to Hiroshima? Or any suggestions of an actual itinerary would be most appreciated. Where is the best place to go for hot springs (preferably one that isn't too busy?) Also - is there a hot springs park in Hakone - does anyone know what it is like? Feeling a bit lost. Where is the best place to experience Japanese style rooms/food (a little worried my kids won't eat it). I keep reading about all these places I should visit - too many to choose from - I want the kids to enjoy it, but also want to see the culture and beauty of the country.
Old Nov 28th, 2015, 06:39 AM

Start your research at www.japan-guide.com lots of info there to help you.

We are fellow travelers here, glad to answer questions and be helpful, but no one here is going to design your trip for you.
Old Nov 28th, 2015, 08:55 AM

"I want the kids to enjoy it, but also want to see the culture and beauty of the country."

I'm not sure there's a "but" here. Maybe an "and".

And on that note, I do not see why you would subject children of those ages to a place like Hiroshima. IMO they are not likely to understand the historical context (nor are most US visitors likely to "get it" from the Japanese POV, which requires listening to the personal recollections of many elderly Japanese who lived through the war), and the place has little to do with the unique culture of Japan and certainly not with its beauty.
Old Nov 28th, 2015, 09:11 AM

I also don't get why people want to go to Hiroshima. Is it to recognize the horrors of the atomic bomb? The firebombing of Tokyo on 9 March 1945 killed more people than either of the atomic bombs: Curtiss LeMay said, "if we'd lost the war I would have been tried as a war criminal". Of the atomic bombing sites, Nagasaki is a much more interesting and historically significant city than Hiroshima.

Any of the classic books on the topic will describe the full horror of these events better than the museums. The museum at Hiroshima was updated in 1994 to give some acknowledgment to the Japanese role in the war, but if you want to know what they really think you should go to other museums, which are heavy on victimhood and the sacrifice of those involved in the "defensive war". The Yamato museum in Kure just outside Hiroshima is worthwhile, but the various museums in Okinawa, and the Kamikaze museum in Chiran give the full effect. And if you want to be really shocked, go to the museum at the Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo.
Old Nov 28th, 2015, 06:02 PM

If the OP and his/her family want to go to Hiroshima, who are you to question his/her choices?

Hoops25, I spent one day in Hiroshima, training down from Kyoto. I found the Peace Memorial Museum very moving and, IMO, very fairly presented. It did not shy away from Japanese atrocities during the war. I also was moved walking around the A-Bomb Dome for it's historical significance. I found it especially eerie at twilight. One day in Hiroshima should be plenty. You may want to research Miyajima, which is an island just off the Hiroshima coast. A 20 minute or so ferry ride from Hiroshima. A beautiful shrne (Itsukushima)and its entry gate, the "floating torii" looks like it's floating on water at high tide. Great nature walks, delicious grilled oysters, some fun shopping, tame deer roaming the streets and a cable car ride up Mt. Misen that provides cool views of the island and bay. My recommendation would be to stay overnight to experience it at a more relaxed pace but if you can't, get an early start and spend the whole day there. To me, if you're going to spend the 90 minutes or so training down from Kyoto, you should devote more than just the one day to Hiroshima.
Old Nov 28th, 2015, 07:07 PM
kja

I completely agree with MinnBeef.
Old Nov 28th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses - particularly MinnBeef - most helpful. Miyajima sounds very interesting. I think we will definitely visit there. For those who seem negative towards me visiting Hiroshima - thank you for your input - it is interesting that most 14 day itineraries I have found so far include visiting Hiroshima. Can anyone tell me if it is worth stopping at the Himeji castle on the way to Hiroshima? And thanks Kathie for the link - it looks most informative. Just to be clear - I don't expect anyone to plan my trip - but feedback on experiences/itineraries people have used etc can only help make my planning easier. And if anyone has any more suggestions please share to help me out.
Old Nov 28th, 2015, 09:43 PM

Himeji is the finest castle in Japan and definitely worth a visit. Engyo-ji is a fine temple nearby.

The other side of Hiroshima is Iwakuni with the beautiful Kintai bridge and hilltop castle.
Old Nov 28th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

thanks someotherguy - i have just looked up Kintai bridge and it does look beautiful. I am now thinking when I am in Hiroshima that I would like to spend a day in Miyajima, visit Iwakuni and look around Hiroshima - do you think 2 nights in Hiroshima would be enough or should I stay for three nights? thanks
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 12:42 AM

I visited Hiroshima precisely to "recognize the horrors of the atomic bomb", having studied history at school, college and university, and with a special interest in WW2. I had, of course, read about the atomic bombing but it was important to me to visit and appreciate more about it from the perspective of those who experienced it, rather than from the perspective of the other side.

For us, a full morning (arriving by 9 am, I think) plus lunch was sufficient, after which we made our way to Miyajima to arrive there early-to-mid afternoon and we stayed overnight, leaving again mid-to-late next morning.

We loved that overnight stay, especially after the more sobering morning at the Peace Memorial Museum.
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 09:05 AM
kja

Like Kavey, I was glad to have a quiet, reflective night on Miyajima after my visit to Hiroshima. I spent about 3 or 4 hours, as I recall, visiting the A-Bomb Dome, Peace Park, and Peace Museum, and then went on to Miyajima. As MinnBeef as noted, there is a great deal to do there, and it is much more peaceful after daytrippers leave. And there's more there than he mentioned, including a monkey park atop Mt. Misen and a very interesting Buddhist Temple, Daisho-in.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3401.html
I loved Miyajima as a solo adult; I think children would find it delightful.

With a 14-day stay, 3 nights would be extraordinarily generous, IMO, for Hiroshima / Miyajima. One or two nights might make much more sense, but of course, that depends on what else you choose to visit.

By all means visit Himeji-jo!
And note that there is a very pleasant garden next door, Koko-en
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3500.html

FWIW, I think that you will find that most published itineraries are on the ambitious side, although they can be a great way to get started with your planning. japan-guide.com is, as Kathie already noted, what several of us consider to be the single best source of information on Japan. The outdated <i>Japan Solo</i> is also excellent, despite its age. You can look at trip reports on this board, where you'll find what specific people did and their thoughts about what they saw, and look at the planning threads, too, because that's where you'll see something of the range of opinions and recommendations made by Fodorites who have visited Japan.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 30th, 2015, 09:46 AM

Hi

Buy a decent map so you can see where you want to go - I find it helps enormously.

Also work out a nightly schedule - normally I start off with twice as many nights on my list than I actually have and then I use guide books, checking on here and the very helpful japan-guide.com whittle it down to a final draft. Then just spend as much time as you can afford reading more and making final revisions.

Happy planning, Tim