Westin Shanghai

Search

Westin Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westin Shanghai

Am now considering staying there with my family next month, as alternative to Sofitel Hyland -- because Starwood just announced they are running a special sale using Starwood points. Still, given that we need two rooms, it's something of a splurge in terms of numbers of points we'll have to spend. So, my question: Is this Westin "splurge-worthy" in terms of significant luxury combined with excellent location -- and compared to the Sofitel Hyland? I know it's (?) 5 minutes or so walk from both the Bund and Nanjing Street. Any good, less expensive restaurants right near the Westin? This will be the end of a 3 week trip in China, so we're considering the indulgence to end our trip. Thanks.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Airlawgirl

I can't specifically answer any questions about the Westin rooms-but the distinctive lotus leaf architecture of the Westin, particularly when lit up at night, is really awesome. As you state, it is in an excellent location relative to the Bund, and although I did not stay there, I did have afternoon tea there in their piano lobby, and enjoyed it very much-had a wonderful selection of sandwiches, tea breads, scones and teas for a very reasonable $US 20 or so, I believe. It's really interesting to look up through the middle of the hotel to see the lotus design skylights-the lotus, of course, being a symbol of Buddha's purity. For what it's worth, I'd certainly stay there if there was a special sale, they have all sorts of shops, cafes, and a pastry shop in the lobby as well. Given its central location, you can then walk over to the Bund and eat at any number of restaurants in and around the Bund- "M on the Bund" is one well-regarded international cuisine restaurant with great views -it's also a great place for drinks.

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:52 PM

M on the Bund is great.

The Westin is undoubtedly worth it. A fab hotel, and the beds are amazing.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Airlawgirl, we'd already read your previous mouthwatering post on the afternoon tea at the Westin -- and you make the place sound very attractive. Would definitely visit it just for the tea and to look around, even if we don't wind up staying there. Do you recall if it was really just 5 minutes from the Bund, and a similar distance from Nanjing Road? I see the location on the map, but it's hard to gauge real distances.

And, MichaelHD, you mention the beds, which is an interesting comment, because in contrast there have been some posts identifying our alternative -- the very well located and reasonably priced Sofitel Hyland -- as the hotel with the "worst beds in China."

Thanks for your comments.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Airlawgirl

No prob. I'm really quite taken with that Westin architecture-I was told it was a real engineering feat to put the lotus leaf top in place-so it sounds as if you have a great deal there. Yes, it really is no more than a 5 minute walk to the Bund and to Nanjing-so you can't get much closer to the action than that-plus you don't have to worry about the non-English speaking taxi problem-or the problem just getting a taxi anywhere other than outside a hotel -this was a real problem for me in Shanghai-couldn't get one to stop-even when I had the address written down in Chinese-all the Shanghainese take taxis, and around rush hour I was told, and did experience, that it was virtually impossible to get a taxi without going to a taxi stand and standing in a long line. Far better to be closer in to the places you want to be and spend a little more than be further out and have to rely on taxis there. (by the way, I did not find this to be a problem at all in either Beijing or Xi'an-taxis were plentiful, and no problem getting one to stop for you).

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We're definitely leaning toward the Westin -- although the Sofitel Hyland is right in the middle of the action, too, on Nanjing Road. Unless there's more feedback comparing the Westin with the Sofitel, then I'm left with very mixed reviews about the Sofitel from previous posts -- including several references to those too-hard beds.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 04:14 PM

Stayed at the Westin in mid-June and loved it. Very convenient to everything. Enroll as a starwood member and you will receive deeply discounted rates. I saw $125 US for 2 people. Consider getting the room with breakfast rate, fantastic buffet breakfast, Western, Japanese and Chinese breakfast choices. Note most taxi drivers are not familar with the Westin since it was constructed a little more than a year ago, make sure you get card from front desk with name and address of hotel. Alternatively, look for the "pineapple" top that adorns the top of the building.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We'd actually be using Starwood points for the 2 rooms. Do you recall -- how long does it take exactly to walk from the Westin up to the pedestrian area on Nanjing Lu? I've read that it's "five minutes" but I'm wondering if that's to the pedestrian mall area of Nanjing, per se.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:22 AM

5 minutes sound right. Note, area is very crowded.