Search

What is/are the Best Hotel in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is/are the Best Hotel in Shanghai

Best Hotel in Shanghai:

Could someone tell me which are / is the best hotel(s) in Shanghai? In terms of location and quality. Here are my choices:

Portman Ritz Carlton
Garden
Pudong Shangri-La
Westin
Grand Hyatt

Thx
Daisy
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 04:26 AM

Here are my thoughts on the pros and cons of each:

Portman Ritz Carlton - Very nice, superb service, has a grocery store in the atrium, well known by all taxi drivers (but you have to say "BO-tow-mun" really fast). Location is not great unless you're taking taxis everywhere, although there is a metro station within 2 - 3 blocks. Fabulous sandwich and pasta shop on premises for when you want Western food, famous dim sum shop across the road for when you want Chinese.

Garden - Rooms are a bit past their prime, but clean and modernized. I guess they have niether pristine newness nor old colonial charm, but are somewhere in the middle. The hotel itself is great, though. Location is fine, just on the border of the former French Concession on the busiest part of Huai Hai Lu (one of the major shopping streets). Easy access to metro.

Pudong Shangri-La - No reason at all to stay here. Nice enough, but if you want luxury in Pudong, stay at the Grand Hyatt.

Westin - Really nice new hotel, location is good near the Bund, plenty of good historical neighborhoods right out your hotel door (and north), also walking distance to the bustling Nanjing road pedestrian area.

Grand Hyatt - Absolutely stunning hotel, really fabulous rooms & service. If you don't stay here, it's worth coming for a meal. The only inconvenience is that it's in Pudong, which means that there is NOTHING historical within walking distance (Pudong was completely razed 5 - 10 years ago to make the modern developments). The old/traditional neighborhoods are fun to walk around in & we typically prefer to have sights like that just out of our hotel door, but the trade off in luxury might be worth it. It also means an additional 10 - 40 minutes to get to Puxi, where all the tourist attractions are, depending on traffic.

Best of luck!
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Someone told me Ritz Carlton is nicely located to major shopping area, but since Westin is the newer one, we probably would take it.

BTW, can you let me know how far it walks / drives from Westin to Nanjing road and Wai Hoi Chung road (sorry for possibly a wrong spelling)

thx
Daisy
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

I have an additional question. What about the newly opened Four Seasons? How is it compareed to Ritz Carlton and Westin?

thx
Daisy
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 06:38 AM

The Portman is next to two big supermodern luxury shopping malls, with Hermes, Chanel, Versace, Dior, etc. Not exactly local color (or bargains)!

The Westin is probably a 5 minute walk to Nanjing Road, and probably 10 - 15 minutes by taxi to Huai Hai Zhong Lu (which is the other one on your list - it took me a few minutes to figure it out, LOL!).

The Four Seasons is pretty close to the Portman, but without the convenience of a close metro stop, if you'll be taking the Metro. It's only about a year old, so newer than the Portman. But the Portman is frequently renovated, so I wouldn't necessarily hold that against it when comparing it to the other two.