The Westing Shanghai

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Westing Shanghai

Hi - I'm scheduled to stay in the Westin while in Shanghai? It seemed like a nice hotel, especially given the recent renovations. Has anyone seen it or stayed there? Is it nice? All thoughts welcomed...
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 12:44 PM

I find it hard to believe that they have already had recent renovations since the hotel was only built a couple years ago.

I've stayed there and it is very nice.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 05:09 PM

The Westin Shanghai was only opened about 2 years ago, and is an excellent hotel in an amazing location. The place is very very comfortable & quite funky throughout - check out the grand staircase. There is also a Banyan Tree spa onsite which is worth trying.

You are probably thinking of the old Westin in Shanghai which is now the Sheraton Tai Ping Yang. (And I think it has been refurbed)
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 07:24 PM

The Westin in Shanghai (on Henan Central Road) is a very agreeable hotel. For the tourist, I can't imagine a better location. The Bund is 3 blocks away. The Yu Yuan Garden is about a ten minute walk. Nanjing Road is maybe six blocks away. You can even walk to the Shanghai Museum in 15 minutes. (Better yet, save your feet with a taxi - 10 yuan.)

The rooms are decorated in a very attractive contemporary Asian style. I liked the place a lot. Most staff speak good to very good English (so I gave my rickety Mandarin a brief sabbatical.) All in all an excellent (albeit pricey) choice.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Airlawgirl

I was just at the Westin Shanghai a week ago Tuesday. This is the skyscraper you see in all of the pictures of the stupendous night skyline of Shanghai-the top of the Westin is designed like a lotus blossom-a symbol of Buddha's purity-and the "leaves" at the top are all lit up in white at night-an awesome sight! I did not stay at the Westin, however, after walking almost a mile from the Yuyuan Gardens and not being able to hail a taxi ( a common problem in Shanghai- no one speaks English, and I had one taxi at a taxi stand speed on by when they saw me and my blond hair standing at the curb- not very nice!) I looked up, hot and exhausted, and immediately recognized the hotel from that distinctive lotus top, and knew I would be able to get a taxi there, plus I could check out the interior. It did not disappoint. I had a wonderful afternoon tea in their piano lobby lounge-for 80 yuen I had a generous selection of sandwiches, scones, plus an assortment of tea breads, and a long selection of teas to choose from, including iced tea if I wanted. There is a skylight in the middle of the lobby that goes all the way through to the lotus opening at the top-quite beautiful and distinctive. After being relaxed and refreshed by my tea, they cheerfully called me a taxi so that I could return to my lowly Holiday Inn Downtown (which had very good service and nice rooms, but is not well situated for sightseeing). When you take a night river cruise in Shanghai (which is an absolute must, in my opinion) and see the white lotus blossom top lit up at night, it is quite unforgettable. I enjoyed my visit to the Westin very much, although I would imagine it would be quite pricey to stay there, but well worth it in light of its favorable location and unique architecture.

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

thanks for everyone's replies. i was referring to the westin hotel on the bund and i am glad that everyone had agreable things to say about it. i eagerly await my arrival!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 10:05 PM

I'm sure you'll be pleased! It's a great area for walking around (lots of tiny winding streets, plus, of course, the Bund and the Nanjing Lu walking area with all the neon lights).

A few weeks ago a friend of mine was having a going away party, and had it there during the lunch buffet. I wasn't very excited about the venue since most hotel buffets are just average. It was wonderful! They have a pasta station where they make fresh pasta and sauce for you on demand, in addition to a full buffet of standard items as you'd expect.

Have fun!