Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help! Under $50 US charming hotel in/near Hua Hin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to Thailand this weekend with a group of friends, and the hotel the group had chosen fell through. One person usually plans these trips (it's our paragliding club) and does so on a very budget level (US $30 - $50 per room), but still manages to pick great hotels!

Does anyone have budget-but-charming hotel recommendations for in or near Hua Hin? Most of the hotels I've seen in that range are "just" plain low-rise hotels - I can't seem to find any budget bungalows like we have in Bali. I can't find any reviews or pictures for the smaller budget hotels and guesthouses, which may be what we're looking for. (I'll also post on Thorn Tree, which is generally recommended for lower budget questions).

I have found some choices around Takiab (Baan Duangkaew, Baan Sabai Jai, Casa del Mare), but they are all either slightly less charming than we'd hoped, or slightly more expensive than the group wants (personally, I voted for the Anantara, but it IS a group thing . . . ). And Takiab is farther than we'd hoped to be.

Can anyone save the day? Thanks!!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Ah, we meet again. Baan Duankaew is nice but they only have 12 bungalows,Casa del Mare is on the main road, the Kaban Tamor would normally be a very good bet as it's really nice there, trouble is this is a 'Holiday' weekend!!!! Public Holiday on Monday and that probably means Hua Hin being packed. Andrea, this is a local site and if they can't get you anything I doubt anyone can, put in 'all' you options, i.e book as many as are within your price range and hope one comes up. I know some of the guesthouses and have used Pala-u Guesthouse a few times and it is clean and comfortable though not glamouous, just simpkly a/con rooms with h/c shower/wc and TV, near the Sofitel in the centre of town, about 5 mins walk to the beach, they charge about $20 a night for 2 with basic breakfast. You can also book it on this same site:-

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/huahin/hotels/

You can click on reviews.

If you want $20 place then the Pala-u might be the best you could get, you can see the photos, it's 'ok' for a bed but again, not glamourous.

How many in your group in total?
Try that link, as I say, Hua Hin based, if you get real stuck post back here and I'll see if I can make a few calls for you.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Take a look at the Beach Garden and the Methavalai in Cha Am ( 20 minutes north of Hua Hin ) also. They should all be on the hua hin hotel link I just gave you.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your help! The group has booked at some cheap hotel between the Sofitel and Hilton (I didn't get the name, but even the guy who is in charge and booked it says it's not a nice place, just cheap and available). We're booked at Central Village, which (I hope) will offer some semblance of charm while still being near the group. I did use the site you recommended, thank you!

Thanks again for your help!
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 03:26 AM

Central Village is excellent, they are all bungalows between Sofitel and Hilton, as they are owned by same group as Sofitel you get to use all the facilities at the Sofitel!! Nice choice!! Rooms very nice and natural inside and pleasant staff. The restaurant opposite Hilton called 'Sawasdee' has excellent Thai food and is also very cheap, open fronted onto the street. The charming lady owner is always running around making sure everyone is happy with a wide beaming smile (can't miss her, good looking too!!) They will do you a whole range of plates and you can all share, it's a good starting place that is near. Mai Thai and Blue Elephant are bars at the same area, for more lively bars head down the soi there (Soi Bintabat) you will see all the bar lights. If you are all into seafood La Mer at Khao Tikiab ( about 15 mins south of center) is good at night, but you can't use tuk-tuks because they can't make the hill, so use taxis. Weekend market is at Grand Plaza, also look out for local fairs which should be around this weekend (holiday w/end).