Stay in Pudong?

Search

Stay in Pudong?

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay in Pudong?

We have a chance to stay at the Courtyard in Pudong for Marriott points -- and we're wondering what it would be like to stay in that part of Shanghai. The Courtyard is evidentally situated among a cluster of other hotels, including the St. Regis, Holiday Inn and Intercontinental, several Metro stops past the area with the Hyatt and Shangri-La. I had posted a few days back with a question about the Courtyard, but am wondering if anyone could give us some information about this area of Pudong in general? Would there be plentiful taxis available, shops, supermarkets or convenience stores? How far is the Courtyard from the Metro? How long by taxi over to the Bund? Is it all within walking distance of the river? The Courtyard is supposed to be primarily a "business hotel," but we wondering if it would also be good for us English speaking tourists. Thank you for any insights you may have.
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:19 PM

I can empathize with the dilemma of free nights at a nice hotel vs looking for the better location. In this case I would hihgly recommend looking for another location and saving the points for another trip. To be brief, I thought the Pudong side was appalling. Though taxis were not abundant they were available. I did not see too many convenience stores in plain view. But most importantly,
It had no soul, it was the worst of (post) modern architecture. It looks good (especially to the Chinese every evening, when they go to the Bund on the other side of the water to look at Pudong and take pictures). But only if you think progess is having massive glass buildings with no space for human interactions. You can go to many other cities for that.
The Bund side is much more interesting and lively for sure.
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:20 PM

Forgot to mention that if you do stay in Pudong it is about a 10 minute drive to the Bund.
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:32 AM

I fully agree with nislam that you would be better of saving the points for another occasion. The Puxi side of the river is the 'real' Shanghai, and Pudong is a bit of a concrete jungle. (It used to be the largest building site in the world, and this is reflected in the huge number of modern faceless buildings today) There are some nice hotels there as you mention, but these largely cater to corporate guests that need to do business on that side of the river. There are taxis and some convenience shopping, but for any place of real interest in Shanghai, you need to be on the other side of the river in Puxi. (Pronounced Pooshee ... sort of!)
If there is no traffic, a taxi trip over the bridge or in the tunnel to the Bund can be fairly quick, but in or around rush-hour, it can take an hour. And in my experience, it often does. Even with light traffic, ten minutes would be very very quick ...

Shanghai is an amazing city, and you can enjoy it before heading back in a taxi to your hotel in Pudong, but if you can save your points for another trip I really would recommend staying on the Puxi side.
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed in that area of Pudong since the Metro went through? I'm not sure how long ago that might be.... but I'm having a hard time finding a map of Shanghai to buy that has the Metro stops superimposed, so I'd suppose it might have been recent. The Courtyard says they're only "2 blocks" from the Metro stop -- and I'm wondering if that might make the location much more convenient for tourists?

Based on comments so far, we're thinking maybe we'll save our Marriott points for next time as suggested, stay at the Hyland Sofitel on Nanjing, and perhaps save a bit instead by staying at the Sheraton (with Starwood points) in Xian rather than at the Xian Hyatt as we had initially planned. Any thoughts about the Hyland Sofitel in Shanghai, or the Sheraton in Xian? Is the Sheraton in Xian, like the Courtyard in Pudong, so far off the beaten path that people believe it's too inconvenient for touring? Thanks again.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Still haven't made up our minds about whether to risk staying in the more remote part of Pudong at the Courtyard, so am "topping" to see if anyone else has any insights about basing ourselves in that area. Especially, we are wondering if the proximity of the (probably) newish Metro stop makes this a more inviting area in which to stay. Thanks.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:53 AM

Just located Courtyard on my Shanghai map. It is near Dong Fang Rd Metro station. I estimat that Courtyard is about one long block from the Metro station. St Regis Hotel is just a bit further from the station.

By the way Dong Fang Rd station is the second stop after the station for Grand Hyatt.

I estimate from the map that Courtyard is about 2 to 2-1/2 miles from the Bund.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. I'm still wondering: has anyone on this board actually stayed in Pudong in this area, i.e. the Courtyard or St. Regis area, since the Metro has been in? If so, how is that area as a tourist base for a few days? Is it too far from everything else? Thanks again.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:14 PM

I wonder if your Marriott points would allow you to stay at the relatively new JW Marriott Hotel (opened last year) located right near the city center. I consider the Peoples' Square is the city center.

I would not mind staying at Courtyard in PuDong since it is within walking distance to a subway station. Key tourist attractions, shopping etc. are within 8 miles or less of Courtyard. Taxis are plentiful (except when it rains) and cheap.

I hope you will have your wish to have someone who stayed in the Courtyard area, giving you a first hand account.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:30 PM

In March 2003 we stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Pudong and although the area is a little bland compared to the Bund it has a metro closeby, food court under the hotel, fabulous views of the city. I know where the Courtyard is and wonder just how much time will you be spending in your hotel room? We loved coming back to our room after a long day shopping, eating & rubbernecking and just gazing out the windows at the magic cityscape. Do what you want! Taxis are always around, there is a big shopping centre close by. The metro is cheap and a cinch to understand. We bought Lonely Planet's Shanghai guidebook and absolutely had the best time walking around the Bund, the french section, stopping to chat with local kids, nearly getting run-over by cyclists and generally enjoying one of the most amazing cities in the world.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Lxchiang -- thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, we need 2 rooms (have 2 teenagers) and only have enough Marriott points for the Courtyard because they're having a summer special with exceptionally low points required for the rooms. We'd much rather stay at the JW, but we can get 4 nights at the Courtyard for the same points as one night at the JW!

Lyndie, I have read great things about the Hyatt in Pudong, thanks -- the food court, closeby Metro, great views, etc. It's also my impression that the Hyatt is within walking distance of the river and pedestrian crossing. However, I'm enquiring about the Courtyard because it's my understanding that it is several km away from the Hyatt, 2 stops further out on the Metro, and I'm wondering if the Courtyard area has any of the same attractions as the area of the Hyatt -- i.e. views, food courts, shops on the street, really close Metro proximity, etc. Of course we don't intend to spend a great deal of time in the hotel, but, as was suggested, it's nice to return someplace at night that has some amenities. If in fact the Courtyard is only used by Asian business people, as an older guidebook suggested was the case before the Metro went out that far, then it probably wouldn't be terribly comfortable for tourists like us. From the lack of response by anyone who has stayed at any of the hotels in the Courtyard area (i.e. including the St Regis, Holiday Inn, Intercontinental, etc.), I'm suspecting that it's not a very good location for English speaking tourists. Or maybe it is a good location, but just not very popular...
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:20 AM

Courtyard, other hotels you mentioned and others not mentioned are all located in the Lujiazui Financial and Trade Zone. Generally, it is not a popular area for tourists to stay, but more for businessmen.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:00 PM

I've stayed at the Hyatt and St. Regis on the Pudong side. From the St. Regis, it's just a few minutes walk to the metro station, and I believe the Courtyard is slightly closer. You're correct that this area is primarily a row of business oriented hotels. There are some restaurants within walking distance and there's large supermarket near the metro station. It's not the most interesting introduction to Shanghai, but the metro makes it fairly convenient to get around. Taxi's are also plentiful and inexpensive but do burn up time in rush hour. When are you going? I'll be staying at the Courtyard myself in mid-July (couldn't pass up the summer pointsaver deal). So if your trip is later in the year, I'll be happy to check into anything for you while I'm there.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks, Patty. We're leaving for China early August, then would wind up in Shanghai the third week in August -- so it would probably be too late for you to post information for us after you go in July. That summer Pointsaver is a great deal.

Since you sound like you really know Shanghai -- do you think it's much preferable to stay right on Nanjing, at the Sofitel Hyland? Or are there drawbacks to staying on Nanjing (e.g. congestion, smog, whatever) that might influence the decision? This will be the last 4 nights of a 3 week trip, with 2 older teenagers. We'll probably be pretty tired out by then, so a quieter place might be nice, but we'd also want convenience.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 08:13 AM

My husband and I are moving to Shanghai next month after living in Tokyo for three years. I just returned from our Look/See in Shanghai. We stayed at the St. Regis Hotel. I agree with the others that have said that there is literally nothing that interesting on the Pudong side. When one walks out the hotel, there are no shops or interesting restaurants or shrines etc. One ends up going to the Puxu side where many interesting things are to do. The Bund is there, Yu Garden, Nanking Street, plus many little shops and restaurants etc etc. I think the Ritz Carleton is the most central to Shanghai but the Sofitel is right on the huge shopping street. You can stay on the Pudong side but you will end up going to the Puxi side all the time.
My husband's job is on the Pudong side but even he admitted that we may be able to get a huge apartment or house on this side of the river, he opted to get a smaller apartment where everything around us is very energetic and lively.
Getting across the bridges or tunnels during rush hour may not be much fun. Good luck and have fun. Myszka in Shanghai My email address is [email protected] if you have more questions
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 10:52 AM

The Sofitel's location is very convenient. From there you can easily walk to the Bund or People's Square (although in August it'll be a very hot walk!). It's a very busy area with lots of shops, lots of crowds. If this is something that sounds more appealing to you, go for it. It's also right by the Henan Rd metro stop. I personally don't mind (maybe even prefer) staying in Pudong. At the end of the day, I just like to go someplace quiet.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 11:31 AM

EdEdwards: In my earlier reply, I hope I have conveyed to you that tourists' attractions are mainly located in a relatively compact area in Shanghai (unlike Beijing). Again, I estimate conservatively that Courtyard is no more than 8 miles from most tourists' attractions (sites, shopping, eateries, night clubs, Yu Garde, Jade Buhda, Peoples' Sq., Jing An Temple, the Old French Concession, Nanjing Rd etc etc). Since Courtyard is within walking distance to a Metro station, this is your best way to get to PuXi. Grand Hyatt and Oriental Pearl Tower, both in PuDong, are only 2 subway stops away or about 20-25 minutes walking (my estimate).

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 10:35 PM

Hi Ed

We also stayed a couple of nights at Sofitel Hyland before moving to Grand Hyatt and it is true that Nanjing is a great location however the hotel is dated, the beds were the worst in Asia (level 23) when we asked to be moved or for new beds-they were booked out and we endured 2 more nts of pain in beds so hard the floor was softer! The Hyatt is not far from the Courtyard-we saw it in the taxi to the airport at Pudong. The subway makes it really easy to get around and you can pick up supplies everywhere in Shanghai and take them back to your hotel. I just don't see the Courtyard's location or it's other visitors would cause you any problems. Good luck in deciding.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Hi Ed,
I just returned from Shanghai. Don't know if you are still considering the Courtyard but I took some pictures while I was there and posted them online for you or anyone else who might be interested:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=jy877nh...&y=-e8wzsg

They upgraded me to a one bedroom suite on arrival. The hotel is fairly new and comfortable. I didn't see any tourists staying there, only a mix of western and Asian business people. I don't see that as being a problem though as far as communication with the staff, all of the ones I encountered spoke English. The metro station is about a 5 minute walk. The hotel is on the corner of Wei Fang road and Dong Fang road with the main entrance facing Wei Fang road. As you exit, head left and cross the intersection, at the next street make another left and you should see the station entrance shortly. There shouldn't be a problem picking up a taxi at the hotel. Make sure you have not only the name (the Chinese name is Wan Yi) but also the location written out for your return. Not all of the taxi drivers are familiar with the hotel.

It's was awfully hot and humid in Shanghai with temps near 100 degrees F. There's currently an electricity shortage and most exterior building lights have to be turned off on days when it's predicted to be over a certain degree, so all of the buildings along the Bund were dark at night. The Courtyard's exterior sign was even turned off the night we arrived. Also the A/C's in public buildings and offices (but thankfully not hotels) had to be set above a certain temperature. Consequently, most of the shopping centers and also the airport were a little on the warm side.

Enjoy your stay wherever you end up
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the information, Patty, and especially for those great pictures on your website! They really give a good feel for what it might be like to stay in that part of Pudong. The area reminds me of Reston, near DC, or University Town Center in San Diego -- sprawling new buildings and neat greenbelts without any streetlife to speak of. It seems a little too quiet for us, though the hotel looks nice enough. At this point, we've decided we'll stay either at the Westin near the Bund, where we can get rooms with Starwood points, or at the Sofitel Hyland, right on busy Nanjing Road -- but still not sure which. If anyone has any thoughts about that choice which weren't already mentioned on my previous posting on the subject, I'd still appreciate the input. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -