Reload this Page >

China - Shanghai & GuangZhou

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Violet

I'm interested in going to these 2 cities in June,any infos will be appreciate.eg is it better to go Free n Easy or tours group?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Patty

Shanghai can definitely be done on your own. If you want to, you can book a 1/2 day tour locally just to get your bearings the first day. Street signs and subway stations are well marked for the most part. If you take a taxi you will need to have the destination written as taxi drivers do not speak English. Haven't been to Guangzhou.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 11:01 PM
Violet

which hotel do u recommended.i hope to visit the hard rock cafe in shanghai,so prefer a hotel(maybe a 4 stars one) near hard rcok

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 10:42 AM
Kathie

Relatively few people in Guanzhou speak English. I stayed at the China Hotel, which was just around the corner from the Han dynasty tomb and museum and walking distance to the Orchid garden. I always travel independently, and found it easy to do there. As mentioned above, just have someone at the hotel write your destination on one of the hotel cards for the taxi.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 02:10 PM
Connie

I too stayed at the China Hotel in Guanzhou--very nice. One of their restaurants is a Hard Rock Cafe. <BR><BR>Be sure to go to Shamian Island. It was one of the few places of beauty I saw in China.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:14 AM
Les

Connie,<BR>"It was one of the few places of beauty I saw in China."<BR>What....?<BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:17 AM
Patty

Some hotels near the Hard Rock Cafe in Shanghai are the Portman Ritz Carlton, JC Mandarin, and Hilton. Any of these hotels will have English speaking staff. This is a good area, it's centrally located to most sights and has a good selection of restaurants/shopping nearby.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:30 AM
violet

mandarin is ok for me coz i'm a chinese

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:58 PM
Opinions

If you can speak mandarin, I would definately go on your own. Shanghai was pretty easy to do on my own w/ staying in a hotel that could write destinations in chinese.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 07:16 PM
McH

Violet,<BR><BR>Solo = No problem.<BR><BR>Travelling through the main cities in China (Shanghai, Beijing, Xian, HK, Suzhou, Hangzhou, among others) was very, very easy. I think we enjoyed and understood much more about what was really happening in China than the loads of tourist buses that passed us as we walked through the cities.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>McH

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Peter N-H

I'm afraid neither the posting above, nor several others today posted around the same time (nor many earlier one-line posts), came from me. Sadly such malicious impersonation is all too easy on the Internet, and very easy indeed on sites such as this. <BR><BR>I'm sorry other readers and contributors to this site have to be bothered by this childishness.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 07:37 AM
McH

Peter,<BR><BR>Why do you answer to all my posts with your paranoic post? I do not have to do anything with you, never planned to do so, never will, so leave my opinions and experiences alone mate!<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>McH