Vietnam weather

Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Vietnam weather

We are going to be in Vietnam Jan. 18th for a couple of weeks and doing the usual tourist route of Saigon, Hanoi, Hoi An, Hue and Halong Bay. It sounds like we have to pack for hot/humid to damp/cool weather but not ice cold temps and since we don't trust weatherbase.com anymore, any tips you might have to make our packing easier, we'd appreciate.
Dec 4th, 2009, 11:33 AM

You should have no really cold weather unless you go to the Highlands, and I encourage you to do so. Sapa in the NW Highlands, and Dalat in the Central Highlands are two of Vietnam's most interesting stops. It is true that Hanoi could be a little cool and foggy at times, but certainly not freezing cold. The coastal areas will be rather mild to warm, and Saigon will be warm. Just bring one light jacket - I bring a hooded nylon shell and that does me fine. I just returned 2 weeks ago and I encountered both steaming hot temps in Hue and quite cool/windy in Dalat.
Dec 4th, 2009, 06:06 PM

Bring a warm coat and a pullover for the northern part only. Save room of your lugages for other stuffs.
Dec 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you and since I will not be going to the highlands, but will go to Halong Bay and Hanoi, it sounds like a nylon shell and a sweater will be sufficient.
Dec 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM

I was in Saigon (and the Mekong, but it doesn't seem to be in your itinerary so it doesn't matter) last Dec/Jan and it was not warm but HOT (over 35 celsius) and very humid every day, with occasional thundershowers (brief but torrential).
Dec 6th, 2009, 02:47 AM

I had rain and damp weather in Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An, and Halong Bay during the same period in 2007--I did not see the sun shine until I reached Saigon. I estimate temps were in the 50s-low60s. Never was it icy cold. I think I wore a cotton sweatshirt-type shirt and light/medium weight jacket.

Saigon was hot but by no means unbearable--is was easy to walk around even in the mid afternoon. GREAT city!

I hope that helps you and--more important-- that you have better luck, weather-wise, than I did.
Dec 6th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all-will have to be prepared even for cold temps since we're going to Japan after but Vietnam doesn't sound like it should be too bad.