Help planning Phuket trip

Sep 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Help planning Phuket trip

We are a family of five - kids are 21, 19, 14 and are spending a week in Phuket. We are staying at the Marriott Beach Resort in Mai Khao beach, which I understand is a bit far. We have booked an extra night there because we are arriving one day later than we thought but after reading the forum, I am thinking that maybe we should spend that night somewhere else like in Phi Phi or Krabi. We are an adventurous group but also really enjoy just hanging at the beach. My older two girls will be recovering from finals so we thought this would be the best way to start our trip and then head to Bangkok after. I am looking for suggestions about how to use our time in Phuket, given the location of our resort. It sounds like it takes 45 minutes to get to anywhere so I am thinking that we should spend full days off the resort (from early morning until late evening) where we can have some adventures and eat away from the resort. What are the "must do's" that we shouldn't miss and should we spend a night somewhere off the resort? Thanks for your help in advance....

Sandy
Sep 21st, 2009, 01:14 PM

The resort is beautiful. The pools offer a choice of settings. we rented a car and it was nice ( and easy) to drive into town for meals. There are all sorts of day trips to the nearby island. Lots of snorkling. If you have a car drive North up the coast a bit to Koa Lak. All those little coastal towns have interesting beaches, resorts , places to eat etc. We also drove to the southern end of Phuket Islnd, and again lots of interest to see.

If you are thinking of driving over to Krabi for 1 night it will take you about 1/2 day to get over there, so factor that into your thinking. It is an interesting drive, but for 1 night not very relaxing.
Sep 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like Krabi is too far for us to travel. After researching today, I think I have decided that we should have a car. That way if the lazy college girls want to sleep in, we can take off and come back in time for them to start their day!!! I also like to have more choices for meals than just the resort so I think the car would serve us well. What are your thoughts about Phang Nga Bay, Kata Beach and some of the "sail" trips that people write about. Thanks for your help!!
Sep 21st, 2009, 06:22 PM

A tour of Phang Nga bay has to be one of the 'must do' activities when you're staying in Phuket. There are several options, from regular boat tours to sea kayaks. The sea kayaks are my favorite, as they take you into the caves which open into the collapsed centers of islands. John Grey is the most reputable operator, but there are others, and they will do all the work, including picking you up at your hotel.

I would agree that it's just not worth the effort to stay somewhere else for one night.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:37 AM

If you google Pure Car Rental , they are the ones we used and got a much better rate than some of our bigger chains. They delivered to the hotel and thus save the airport fee. Then they met us at the airport for the drop off. Worked great.
Dec 5th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

We leave in a week and I wanted to check back and ask a few more questions. Has anyone been to Khao Phra Thaeo National Park in Phuket? Apparently, there is a gibbon rehab project there and I was wondering if any one had been there. We are doing a one day sail to Phang Nga bay and don't have a lot else planned of our time there besides relaxing, lots of massages and snorkeling. What in your opinion is the best beach for snorkeling? Also, given that we are staying at the Marriott Beach resort, I was thinking of renting a car for the last two days we are there so we can do two day trips. Would it be better to have the car the whole time to give us more flexibility. For instance, one day, my daughter and I are going to take a cooking class and maybe do a spa day off the resort. We could take a shuttle or taxi or have the car. Can't decide.

Thanks for your help!
Sandy
Dec 6th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Phang Nga Bay is a must see. Try seacanoe.net or John Grey. The tour of the karsts is beautiful.
Dec 6th, 2009, 09:55 AM

If you're up to it, take the group prawn fishing in Patong.

My wife and I had a blast for a few hours. You pay by the hour and they give you cane poles & bait (I think it was chicken or beef liver). They will cook whatever prawns you catch (even gave us a few extra) anyway you like. Have a few drinks while fishing.

Nong Nueng Karaoke & Prawn Fishing. 081-895-9937. I've got pics with the Thai name if you want.