Driving from Phuket to Krabi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this is too strenuous for one day's travelling, but I was thinking about hiring a car/local driver to take two companions and myself from Phuket (Patong) around Phangnga Bay to check out the limestone formations, before heading down to Krabi to spend the night. If we leave early morning, is it possible to squeeze a side trip to Khao Sok national park into this? I'm torn between spending all 5 nights around Phuket or splitting it up with 2 nights in Krabi and only staying 3 in Phuket. Please advise, and thanks in advance...
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 10:16 AM

While we didn't take the time to visit the Park, I can say that the drive between Krabi and Phuket was not at all bad. Traveling by car, including a stop in Krabi for lunch, the trip from the Rayavadee dock to the Chedi took a little over three hours, and the only traffic we hit was in Phuket. I'd say you have plenty of time if you leave early.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:11 PM

Plenty of time a Dywong says, but don't get to Phang Nga 'too early' otherwise the boats would not be 'awake'. It's straight thru past the airport over the Sarasin bridge ( you get to see that Phuket is 'just about' an island ) then you vere right on a new dual highway towards Phang Nga, takes about 1 hr from Patong area. Great scenary on the way, take drinks and snacks with you, there are roadside places to eat but this is local roadside food which is somewhat different to the food you would get in hotels and restaurants catering to tourists. Roadside stop areas/gas stations often have small shops, toilet facilities are all 'squat', take your own tissue if you are still into that. You then vere south towards Krabi area. It is a very pleasant day
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, dywong and JamesA for your insight. I'm afraid I'm at a loss to understand, .."but don't get to Phang Nga 'too early' otherwise the boats would not be 'awake"... and what this implies. Is there a need or want to take a boat trip from Phang Nga? Is this where tours to James Bond island originate? BTW, does anyone have recommendations on where to hire a car/driver one-way from Phuket to Krabi? I checked the online site at phuketgazzette.com without luck, unsure how/where to find info for this.
Thanks again,
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:38 AM

By 'early' I mean no point leaving Phuket say 6 a.m because the guys with the boats out around Phang Nga will still be asleep, I guess they will be up and about for business from about 8 a.m, so you don't have to do a 'crack of dawn' departure.
The best tip for a car+driver is to arrange it from where you stay in Phuket, everyone has a brother/cousin/uncle with a car, and each accommodation place would use the same people all the time, hence you have a form of reliability. Don't go taking some guy 'off the street' touting his car. See the Concierge or Reception a couple of days in advance and they will arrange for you and also set the best time to leave.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:39 AM

Sorry, forgot to add, Phang Nga is where you take a longtail boat out to James Bond Island etc.