Search

5 Days in PHUKET/PHI PHI/KRABI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Days in PHUKET/PHI PHI/KRABI

Greetings Fodorites!

We are going to thailand for our honeymoon from Aug 6-22. Our basic plan is to start off in Bangkok for 3 days, then spend 6 days in PHUKET/PHI PHI/KRABI, then 5 days in Chiang Mai, then fly back to Bangkok - stay 2 more days before heading home to San Francisco.

We have fairly solid plans or at least ideas of what we are going to do while in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. The middle portion of our trip is however still not all the way there. During our first stop in Phuket we are thinking of staying in either Patong or Phuket city. Anyone have any strong opinions on either place? any specific places to stay?

We want to visit Phi Phi, but not so sure if its just a day trip of beaches, snorkeling, and loungin' or if its worth it to actually book a couple of nights stays there. Krabi also seems like an amazing place to visit, but after reading on some blogs and other travel books, there is an opinion that its a place that might be too slow for our tastes. Basically we have 6 days to spend to lounge and get some sunshine and want to know the best way to spend it. Any expertise in this area would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 04:50 AM

I personally stay away from Patong. I'd chose Kata Beach instead. There is still plenty of activity but without the seediness and the pushiness of the touts on the main shopping street.

Why Phuket city??? I think it is too far off the beaten path... ?

I did a one-day trip over to Phi Phi and that was fine. Enough time to snorkel, rent a longtail boat and visit Maya (although you had to swim into a cove and crawl through some rocks to get there, due to tides on the Maya side during summer months. You might have this same problem, since you are going in August. (rainy season... but it doesn't completely ruin things)

Did you consider Koh Samui instead?

Carol
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 05:14 AM

I too wonder why you would even consider Phuket City. There are some charming colonial era buildings, but there aren't even that many hotels.

When you say Krabi sounds too quiet, what part of Krabi are you referring too. Would agree that Koh Lanta is practically shut down, but things in Ao Nang and Railay stay busy all year. Also, Phi Phi is technically part of Krabi too.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Remember that in August, the Phuket/Krabi/PhiPhi side is rather rainy (averages over 10 inches in August). If that is ok with you, then you can get good prices. Otherwise, consider Koh Samui, which has better weather.

I can't imagine any reason to stay in Phuket City... nor in Patong for that matter. Tell is what you want in a beach... lively? quiet? and what do you want in a hotel? small? large with lots of facilities? And what price range are you looking at? give us a dollar amount as no one knows what anyone else means by terms like "moderate."
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the insight thus far. Ive been doing research for this middle part of the trip actually thru a FODOR's Thailand book, and goin with their suggestions. But it seems like neither Patong or Phuket Town are going to be right for us.We are looking for somewhat lively beaches (not packed too packed) where we can lounge, snorkel, boat cruises, and take day trips. For our nightly stays here we are looking for accomodations $60-80/night (even cheaper if the place is adequate). We've heard great things about Phi Phi and definitely want to check it out, but have now considered Koh Samui as an option to this middle part of the trip.

Any thoughts on 6 days in Phuket vs 6 days in Koh Samui?
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Ko Samui will have much better weather. Bangkok Air is the carrier. If you're also going to Chiang Mai, the best deal is a Discovery Pass. Call 866-226-4565 to make reservations. You might check their website first to plot out which flights you want. This will make the call easier. You will save a lot getting the pass.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Thai Airways now also flies to Koh Samui, so if you are a frequent flier with United (Star Alliance) you can earn a few miles by flying with them instead of Bangkok Airways.

Not sure what prices would be in August, but I just stayed at the Seascape Beach resort, which is at one end of the large Chaweng Beach area. To me, the beach at this end (south)is nicer than on the other end, closest to the airport (north). Seascape has basic bungalows or also motel-style rooms. The pool is decent; and they have a nice breakfast buffet (not huge, but definitely enough). Seascape is probably a 3* (maybe even 2*) but clean and orderly.

Poppies is right next door to Seascape, with a really nice restaurant.

Another option, but not on a busy beach, is the Crystal Bay Resort. It doesn't have a pool, but the rooms are a bit nicer than Seascape IMO. Nice little cafe on site, with a delicious seafood salad, if you like that sort of thing for a quick lunch.

Day trips, others can tell you about them. I know there are some! I just haven't done any island hopping around Samui.

I'd plan on renting either a car or motorbike so that you can get around the island. You won't get lost! But traffic is a little crazy so be very very careful!! Quite a few accidents, as motorists get crazy and forget to drive on the left side!

Carol
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Samui and Krabi(inc Phi Phi)of course, are like chalk and cheese.
Yes it's clear that the chances of better weather are with Samui in August.
However, if you have been attracted to the Krabi area from your general research,(you know fabulous scenery, crystal clear sea, little islands etc. etc., then you will not find the same or even similar at Samui.

We have often visited Phi Phi in June and July and have never had a complete wash out. Short periods of heavy rain but loads of sunshine too. No experience of August. But will repeat my first statement....Krabi area and Samui....two very different places...I would say.