Feb 2008 - Phuket/Krabi or another - with 4 yr old and 10 month old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all - I am currently 39 weeks pregnant and biding time waiting for the imminent arrival with planning a trip to escape the grim British winter next February!!

Some of you oldtimers may remember our 5 week trip to Thailand for our wedding in July/Aug 06. We travelled around a lot then - but this time on a two week trip, due to having a small one in tow, most of that will be spent at the beach - but where!?

Probably spend 9 nights on the beaches and 5 in Bangkok. I think we are likely to either split beach time between Phuket & Samui (where we got married) or Phuket & Krabi.

Phuket - am looking at Kata Thani resort. I normally prefer smaller cottagey boutique type resorts - but the reviews for this place as a good family resort are v favourable and there is a kids club for our 4 year old. Any thoughts? Which wing? Any other alternatives in around the same price range?

Krabi - I loved Railay Beach in the past - but am not sure I can bear the longtail boat transfer with a 10 month old although we have a baby lifejacket etc to bring with us. I was looking at Railay Bay Resort - again - any comments or suggestions? Also stayed in Ao Nang before but didn't love it - it felt built up and I like low key beaches with less development. Any other suggestions for Krabi?

Any other easily accessible places in the Andaman coast side that anyone would recommend?

On the Samui side of things, we are much more familiar with the beaches & resorts there so will be looking at staying either in Bophut or at Rocky where we got married. Flights are an easy hop over from Phuket to Samui on Bangkok Air. Bangkok - prob stay at the Marriott on the river - Peninsula & Oriental may be too much to stretch for this time around whilst I'm on maternity leave!

BB
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM

I love the Kata Thani!! Great choice IMO. Try to get a junior suite as it will give you more room. And also, we really enjoyed our balcony overlooking the beach! We had room 2309, ocean building (?). It was a king, with ample room for rollaway and crib.

Carol
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM

remember you...how could we forget...you are right up there with spygirl...just kidding...welcome back....son now i am not the only "fat" person on this forum...congrats...

jamesA suggested kata thani for us last trip...we did not stay there for other reasons...but it always gets rave reviews....the jw marriott is also very nice...

lots of new places on samui...

the penn awaits you in bkk!! or how about a 2 bedroom apartment at marriott mayfair, centre point silom, ascott or one of the many other serviced apartments with a washer....baby clothes....
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM

Good idea, Bob. Somerset Suwan Park View would also be a great choice. Nice central location, nice sized apartments. No washer and dryer in-room, but if I recall correctly, there were laundry facilities available in the building. Adelphi exec/deluxe suites have washer/dryer in the kitchen, BUT these apartments are quite a bit smaller than Somerset.
Carol
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions - I am going to take a look as soon as I can - baby allowing!!!

Emilia Kate arrived on Friday weighting 7lb 6oz - she is very sweet and we are all doing well!

BBxx
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 01:32 AM

Hey congratulations!
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 05:17 AM

how exciting....congrats...
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Congrats on the new arrival!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Hello all - thank you for the congratulations! Baby is 10 weeks today and now weighs 11lb!

Just booked the flights to Thailand - arrive on 7th February 2009, flying EVA from LHR - yippee!! Off to a villa in Mallorca next week for a week - but am far more excited by the prospect of Thailand next year now!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Have just read heading of the original post - should read February 2009 - you can tell I was pregnant when I wrote that! so vacant...
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Congrats on the addition to your family!!!! Beautiful name by the way. Take care & have lots of fun!!
J
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Yes, congratulations! I'm sure she will become a worldly traveler... and fall in love with Thailand just like most of us here. (smile)

Did you select your islands/resorts yet? Just wondering.

Carol
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi Carol - I think we are going to go for Katathani for Phuket. I have a few others to take a look at but pretty much decided on that. As to where else - not yet! I think in Bangkok we will stay at the Marriott, but possibly might up the ante to the Peninsula or Oriental. (John likes P, I like O so we have a marital discussion to have about that one!)
am sooooo excited! wont be able to sleep! which is not a problem as the baby will stop me anyway