Decision time ....JW Marriot in Phuket or Hua Hin Marriot

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am down to two choices and would appreciate some help . We are in Bangkok from july 18 until August 02 , 5 days Marriott on the River then the beach and coming back to bangkok for the last 5 days. What I would like to know ,is it worth it to
take the plane to go to Pucket for 5 days , is the beach nicer ??? or can we have the same thing by just driving to Hua Hin like Kathie mentionned on my last topic. Anyone stayed at those hotel before???
We are not looking to visit too much , it will really be more to relax Appreciate your input
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM

if you go to hua hin stay at the hyatt... marriott is sort of old...

JW Marriott is very nice in phuket but about 40 minutes from town which is annoying...

there is a new jw in khoa lak which i have res for in the fall.... excellent rates just now and the place looks fabulous...

if you know my writting here you know i could stay for ever at the bkk marriott R&S... get a room including breakfast if you can...

air asia flies very cheaply to phuket.... fly to phuket for khoa lak too, then its a 1.5 hour drive north---easy drive
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Tks for the info, u r right Khoa Lak looks fantastic
think I will take option #3.... will check with the other
couple we travel with but I really think this is the one.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:49 PM

You might look at the weather in Phuket/Khao Lak for July and August versus Hua Hin. I think you would find Phuket will be rainier, by about three times. See weatherbase.com and other websites. There is a monsoon on the west coast of Thailand in the summer months. That may make your decision easier. You might also look at the new Courtyard in Hua Hin. This is a newly renovated hotel and may have better facilties than the Marriott. I agree that the Hyatt is very nice.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM

i have had very good luck in khao lak in june... weatherwise, but generally it can changeable...

i hired a car from phuket car rentals and drove myself to khao lak...easy drive...
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 04:26 PM

For beaches etc your better off on Phuket.....if you don't intend to drive around much, Hua Hin is a desperately dull little town too. but, if you drive out of town the options for touring the area are good
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM

imo, phuket beaches are only so so
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM

That is rainy season Phuket and Khao Lak. Weather varies but you take your chances.

If it has to be Mariott group place what about the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa Koh Samui ( Marriott Group ) that would give you island beach style with better weather.

Courtyard by Marriott Cha Am / Hua Hin is high rise, beach isn't good at all. But good for family facilities.

Hua Hin has a new Intercontinental but still the Hyatt and Sofitel are nice.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 09:54 PM

james, have you been to the new intercontinental yet??
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Tks James,we only want the beach for 5 days,weather is definitely a factor, so I guess it will be between Marriott in Koh Samui or Hyatt in Hua Hin.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM

Personally, if you want a place to relax, I would rent a villa. Idyllic, quiet, and depending on which one, it could be close to the beach. I don't know what your budget is, but Villas start from about 6000 baht a night.

They have all the amenities of hotels, but its a lot more private and you normally have your own pool.

Suksan
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 09:41 PM

End July is going to be into the busy season for Samui so prices can be quite high, the plus side is that there are so many beach places to choose from.
Flight to Koh Samui takes about 1 hr 10 and then to your resort, so easy and quick enough. Hua Hin is a limo or cab ride from Bangkok. So there is a difference there.
I would say if you want to relax on a beach with swaying palm trees sipping a Pina Colada and relaxing evenings choose a quieter place on Koh Samui.
If you are into seeing temples, perhaps national park, evenings in night markets etc then Hua Hin.
Different.