Which Starwood property in Phuket?

Jun 14th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Which Starwood property in Phuket?

I'm so lucky to have been asked to go to Phukett with family and stay in their Marriott time share property.

We'll be arriving 3-4 days before we can check-in, so we can use Starwood points for the early arrival.

Which property? Le Meridien (Category 4), Sheraton Grande Laguna (Category 4) or the new Westin Siray Bay (Category 3). It should be open in 2011 when we plan to go.

OR....should we stay somewhere else outside of Phuket since we'll be in Phuket for 2 weeks??? Where? Is there a Starwood property nearby?

Thanks!
Jun 14th, 2010, 09:41 PM

The Westin will definitely open in August this year. It's at the opposite end of the island from the Marriott and quite close to Phuket Town (although it does look like it will have a nice beach), so it would probably be the most different experience.

Outside of Phuket, there's the Le Meridien in Khao Lak and the Sheraton in Krabi.

Will you be in Bangkok before going to Phuket? Why not blow the Starwood points there and get to Phuket on the day you can get into the Marriott?
Jun 15th, 2010, 02:27 AM

In Phuket, we really liked the Meridien Beach Resort. It's got a private beach, but is only a 20 minute ride from Patong or Karon Beach.

In Krabi, we loved the Sheraton. Beautiful grounds, nice beach and very pleasant.

In any case, look at the cash plus points option for booking. We've gotten some great deals using this instead of straight points.
Jun 15th, 2010, 03:01 AM

i would suggest that if you are going to stay at the marriott, then why not travel north one hour to either the le meridien or over to the sheraton in krabi... i have stayed at both and they are fantastic...

the le meridien just south of patong is also a fantastic property... skip laguna as it is remote imo..
Jun 15th, 2010, 05:33 AM

Are you visiting anywhere besides Phuket this trip? If not, I'd highly recommend at least a few days in Bangkok. Don't spend all of your time at the beach.
Jun 15th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

OOOPS! I forgot we'll actually be staying at the West Sands Beach Club (through Marriott). Does this change any of the above suggestions? I'm not sure where it's location is compared to the Marriott time share property.

Bangkok...should we be concerned with all that's been going on there recently?

Thanks for all your suggestions! We've never been anywhere in Asia so this will be a totally new experience.

How tough is it to communicate there?
Jun 15th, 2010, 07:40 AM

Bangkok... Unfortunately, all you know about it is likely the sensationalized western media coverage. Things are pretty much back to normal. Even at the height of the demonstrations, no tourists were targeted, and if you'd been staying somewhere away from the demonstrations, you could have had a fine visit. I'd highly recommend some time in Bangkok, it's an amazing city. And there are lots of Starwood properties to choose from. It would be a shame to make your first visit to Asia and spend all of your time at an international beach resort.

Almost everyone you have contact with will speak at least some English.
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Okay...Bangkok sounds like a nice option.

SO...which Starwood property in Bangkok would you recommend?

Thanks again!
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I like being by the river, so I'd recommend the Sheraton Royal Orchid in the Towers (which gives you breakfast and canapes and cocktails each evening).

Newer properties include Le Meridien, Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit, Plaza Athenee.
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM

We always stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton on the river. It's nice and well-located.
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:40 AM

plaza anthanee is one of the best, its a le meridien...

i do love the river and ROS is all that is there, but quite honestly i find it TIRED...
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Ok...thanks Fodorites. I've changed our flight to arrive in Bangkok. When I looked at the Starwood choices in Bangkok, I'd already narrowed it down to these 3:

Royal Orchid Sheraton - I liked the idea of being next to the river.
Plaza Athenee - Just looks awesome!
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit - I like the idea of having the skylink bridge to Skytrain and Sukhumvit subway stations to get around. How important is that???

Votes please!
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM

You will want to use the skytrain as much as you can. If you stay at the Royal Orchid, you'll have a shuttle boat that takes you to the Skytrain station. You will also be able to use the water taxis to get to the area of Wat Po and the Grand Palace, etc. I consider riding in a water taxi to be an essential Bangkok experience.

The Sheraton Grande is located next to the Skytrain. which is convenient. Sorry, I can't remember how close the Plaza Athenee is to a skytrain stop. You are unlikely to use the subway.
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM

You may have the idea wrong here on several counts.

First two weeks in Phuket is a really long time there. I'd definitely look at staying the extra days somewhere else.

If it's still possible to change your trip, I'd look to going to Chiang Mai from Bangkok before going to Phuket.

If it's too late to change around your trip, I'd look at doing staying either in Koh Phi Phi, the island for the extra days or another area (there are buses to Krabi and there are other islands).

Be careful on the use of Starwood points in Bangkok. Hotel prices have come down so drastically and promotions are so good, that it may be better to pay for Bangkok and use the points elsewhere.

Accor's Vie hotel is like $86 on agoda and in a great location. The Pan Pacific is like $100 on either agoda or asiarooms.

By the way, the Westin Grande, which is a nice hotel and next to the Skytrain (and across the street from the other Sheraton Grande) is $45 and 2,800 points a night. The Sheraton Grande has direct access to the Skytrain. From the Westin you have to go through the store next door.
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:15 AM

all true but the sheraton grande is much nicer than the westin...

plaza anthanee is by far the best of all the hotels mentioned...

the le meridien on suriwongse is newish and offering some cheap prices....

if you can get the cash plus points its a really good deal at any starwoods property...
Jun 30th, 2010, 05:21 AM

jewel....i don't see that west sands is connected to marriott....are you sure of that? it is quite a ways from the marriott facilities which are further north....

the pictures do look very nice however...
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Hello all!
I have taken your advice and we're spending the first three nights in Bangkok. We still haven't decided on which property in Bangkok...I've booked all three until we decide! Yes, cash and points is phenominal!

Now for the return. We were going to fly back through Vancouver and spend a couple nights before coming home. But, now I'm thinking we should explore somewhere else for a couple or three nights...somewhere still in Asia. I've been to Vancouver and it's lovely, but it's easy to go there another time. Any suggestions? Maybe Chiang Mai or Koh Phi Phi as suggested above. Or, what about Hong Kong? Is three nights in Hong Kong good? I'll probably post this in another thread.

Yes...we're staying at West Sands. The Marriott facilities are completely booked and they offered us West Sands. I'm not familiar with Mariott timeshares, but I was happy that they are accommodating us.

Anyone ever stayed at West Sands?
Jul 6th, 2010, 07:17 PM

HK would be a good idea....you might also like some days in bkk at the end of your trip....i always do this...you can never get enough of bkk...

luang prabang laos is a lovely destination for a few days