Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok/Phuket family hotel recommendations?

Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:15 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Considering Bangkok and Phuket in November for a family of two adults and two teenagers. Any recommendations for hotels with rooms large enough to fit us in one room?
Marriot Bk requires two rooms. Can do 4S but would rather be near the river. Considering Shangri la suite.
Considering JW marriot in Phuket. Any other thoughts?
Would like to keep daily hotel cost around $200 if possible which is easier to do with one room than two but may go higher if necessary or for great place.
Sep 24th, 2005, 01:27 PM

its very difficult in thailand to have 2 beds for 4 people in one room...i asked the manager at marriott and he did not even seem interested in considering it...told him there was a real market for it...

sheraton does not have either..

you will love marriott phuket, but not sure they have it either...can you get that hotel for $200?? no need to leave there by the way....it is issolated in the far north of the island...not far from airport..
Sep 24th, 2005, 01:29 PM

just thought of an alternative....one family i know stayed at the marriott mayfair in a two bedroom apartment...you might look at serviced apartments for short stays...centre point; oakwood, marriott mayfair, emporium suites, and many more
Sep 24th, 2005, 02:29 PM

The Centre Point Silom Apartments, right by the Shangri la hotel, might be your best bet if you want to be by the river. A 2 bedroom (175sqm)including tax/service charge/breakfast is around 6700 baht or $168us. This will give you much more room than a hotel suite. It has a so so pool and a resurant that is good for breakfast but not so good for other meals. The location is great near the skytrain station and river ferry. It sits on top of a Robinson's department store which makes for convenient shopping and which has a supermarket in the basement for cheap snacks.
Sep 24th, 2005, 06:36 PM

i have visited centre point silom...the location is ok, but not fantastic, except that the skytrain is almost right next door...the rooms are nice and comfortable...i believe centre point prices are negiotable...they are available on www.huahin.20m.com
also...
Sep 25th, 2005, 04:55 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise. The JW Phuket is around $250/night in November. I find it interesting to find rates in Phuket for November very similar to what they have been around this time for the last several years despite reports of decreased tourism in Phuket this year. Am alittle concerned about reports that snorkling is not good near the Marriot due to currents and location being alittle far from
local restaurants etc.
Will look into the apartment possibilities in Bangkok.
Sep 25th, 2005, 05:01 PM

I am on my way to the Katathani Resort on Kata Noi beach, phuket, in a matter of hours. If you do a search for "kata noi beach phuket" you will pull up their web site. I believe they have "family" rooms for 4. I don't see it in their brochure, but I think I've read it somewhere.

Kata Noi is a lovely smaller beach on the southwestern corner of Phuket. It is closer to Kata, Karon, and Patong beaches, where you will find oodles of shopping and dining options.

Carol
Sep 25th, 2005, 09:12 PM

We loved the JW Marriott in Phuket. The hotel rooms are large enough to accommodate 4. They are beautfully appointed with a lounging alcove conatining 2 lounging mats and also a balcony.

I belive they have condos/ or suites as well. It is one of the nicest resorts in which I have vacationed. The pool is spectacular as are the architecture and gardens. There are 4 different restaurants, all good.

We didn't snorkel but there were lots of brochures advertizing snorkeling. We didn't mind the distance from patong and Kata. there is a shuttle that leaves from the hotel a few times a day, but you must reserve in good time. We hired a cab and driver for a day and evening. He would drop us off at varuious places and pick us up. It was quite convenient.
Sep 25th, 2005, 10:15 PM

What about the Holiday Inn Phuket family suites? Don't know what location you are looking for but the Holiday Inn is right in the middle of all the "action" along Patong Beach. Not sure about price but if you go on the net I am sure they will have the prices.
Sep 26th, 2005, 01:18 AM

For the Marriott in Bangkok have you asked about their one-bedroom suites? They are a good size and could easily take 2 roll away cots in the living room. They are mostly corner units right on the river with several balconies, a wet bar with small refrigerator and dining area; can't recall if there is a half bathroom and also a full bath. Don't know about price.

I agree that the Marriott Executive Apartments might be a good choice they aren't on the river, but may be more in the price range.

At the JW Marriott in Phuket, there are 2-bedroom villas with kitchens which are a good option for a family. There are part of the timeshare portion of the resort, but can be rented if available. I would fax or e-mail the hotel and ask specifically about these.

The snorkeling is not good off the beach, but IMO the snorkeling is not good off most Phuket beaches, you have to take a trip by boat to the outlying islands to get really clear water and good coral. Note that that current off the Marriott beach is pretty strong as well.
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Hi mjs,
We travelled to both Bangkok and Phuket last December with our 2 teenage daughters. In Phuket, we stayed the first time at the Katathani Beach Resort in the Bhuri Wing which is across the road from the Katathani. We had a family room in the Bhuri wing which was large enough to accommodate the 4 of us comfortably. I just checked their website (www.katathani.com) and see that the Bhuri wing has been closed but is scheduled to reopen on Nov. 1/05. We got a 4 day family package there for 20,000 Baht which included buffet breakfast for the 4 of us, 2 dinners at the BBQ restaurant for all of us and taxes. This was a great deal and well worth the price. If the Bhuri wing is still closed when you plan to visit, it would be wise to contact the hotel directly to see what they could offer you at this time. November is off season there and you should be able to get a good price. As Carol mentions above, Kata Noi Beach where this resort is located is one of the nicest on Phuket, lovely white sand and aqua marine coloured water. It is very quiet compared to even Kata Yai which is closer to Patong. You can also snorkel at the ends of Kata Noi Beach as there are rock outcroppings in that area. For our second visit to Phuket (over Christmas) we rented a 2 bedroom apartment at the Residence at Kalim Bay. The rates there in November (when you plan to visit) are very reasonable. The beach across from the Residence is not that great but it is only a 10 minute walk to North Patong Beach which is also very nice, although I doubt that snorkelling would be that great. The apartments at Kalim Bay (www.kalimbay.com) are lovely with marble floors, kitchens and big balconies. We walked into Patong several times from here and caught a tuk-tuk or taxi back. I know that the JW Marriott is a very nice place but we would have found that location too isolated.

In Bangkok, I had my heart set on the Bangkok Marriott Resort (thanks to Bob!) so we took 2 rooms there. Cicerone mentions getting a one bedroom suite which I'm sure would accommodate 4 but I believe they said this was against their fire regulations. Also, by the time you paid for the "extra people" charges in the suite it would come close to what you could get 2 separate rooms for. At the time, we booked the Marriott through asiarooms.com and got the buffet breakfast and taxes included for about $150.00 CAD per room per night. Had we been staying longer, we probably would have opted for one of the 2 bedroom apartments mentioned above. Hope this helps.
Sep 26th, 2005, 11:07 AM

BACanuk, doesn't time fly !! Can't believe it's alreay end of September and we are all talking about November/Christmas this year!!

Yes, Residence Kalim Bay value for families.

Mjs: For $200 a night for all 4 is ok but you may have to forget top class places as November 1st rates are going up as usual quite substantialy.

Around Kata and Karon there are still bargains to be had if you don't mind downgrading somewhat, I never stay 'rough' by any means but of course there is a world of difference between somewhere like the JW or Kata Thani and many other places.
Recently a lot have been asking about Phuket accommodation that is not top rate level so if you search back you can find quite a lot on this.

Karon South Sea resort just across the beach road at Karon is about USD 84-95 for a twin/double including breakfast, right up to dec 20th, so that is quite a bargain for the price.

Best Western Ocean Resort at Karon about US$ 58-64 for a twin/double with breakfast

USD 132 gets you a 2 bedroom Family Suite at the "Old Phuket", this is my personal favorite this year as value-for-money, the only negative is that the pool is rooftop but as I have mentioned although that initialy does not sound great it makes up for it by having superb sea views one way and nice mountain view the other, they only have a couple of family suites, their deluxe rooms with a small jacuzzi on the balcony are $78 double in November. Location is a short walk to the beach at Karon down nice clean soi/street.

Central Waterfront Suites are about US$ 162 for a 2 bedroom suite, high rise overlooking Karon, you also get a kitchen/dining/living room, balcony, etc:
http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...ront/pictures/

With 2 teens it is not so easy as many rooms just aren't big enough.

Sep 26th, 2005, 03:14 PM

JamesA.,
Yes, hard to believe that almost a year has gone by since I was asking for your welcome and knowledgeable advice on Fodors! As usual, your suggestions to mjs are "spot on".

mjs, I just had a look at the Residence at Kalim Bay site. Until Dec. 22, the rates for a superior apartment (ground floor) are 4500 Baht or $109.00 US and 6000 Baht or $145.00 US, taxes included for a Deluxe apartment (upper floor). My husband squawked about my booking an upper floor apartment but was very glad on Dec. 26th as there was considerable damage rendered to the ground floor suites during the tsunami. We were very lucky!

Sep 26th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Isn't that amazing booking the top floor, I remember all this so well now comming up to your trip and then hearing from you about it....
Anyway the Residence remains great value and is certainly worth mjs thinking about

It's B 4,150 ( USD 100.50 ) or B 5,300 ( USD 128.50 ) on www.patong-beach-hotels.com and I guess on others like huahin.20m.com
Sep 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Here are some pics of that one:

http://www.r24.org/patong-beach-hote...ence/pictures/
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Thank you all again for your thoughts on Thailand.
Cannot get one of the Marriot vacation villas as they are sold out at the end of November. Will look into your other recomendations. The Katathani Beach Resort sound especially interesting. Willing to go up to the $300/night price range if necessary. I think I am shackled by the memories of spending less than $10/night when I was last in Thailand as a university student many years ago.
Am also looking at airfares SFO/BKK and it looks like my favorite Cathy flights are booked on the dates I want to fly so United and China air as well as Jal are now in the mix. China air has best timing .
Considering Thai air r/t between BKK and Phuket.
Worth doing business class vs regular economy for $70/person more?
Sep 27th, 2005, 03:57 AM

I am at the Katathani right now, as I type, and can safely say that you would probably be very happy staying right here. It is really very beautiful. The beach is nice and wide, there are several pools, and acres and acres of ground. Nice buffet breakfast and several restaurants right here. I have a jr. suite, which is very nice for two. The bed is very comfortable!!!

Carol
Sep 27th, 2005, 04:02 AM

Sounds good!

have a great time!