Hotel's Bangkok Marriott Mayfair or Ascott Sathorn

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which Hotel in Bangkok is best Marriott Mayfair or Ascott Sathorn and which is closest to Skytrain or Subway
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 07:54 PM

i have only visited the mayfair and it is quite nice, very nice in fact....the ascott is on my list of visiting and possible staying on my next trip...

the sathorn my be a less desirable area---not bad, just not as interesting as the mayfair....the wireless road area is loaded with things to do...sathorn is more business and residential, imo
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:27 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Mayfair Marriott for about 2 weeks:

+ Great room. Very large, quiet, and modern. Was more like living in an apartment than a hotel room

+ Close to the metro...about 3-5 minute easy walk

+ Relatively cheap at about $100/night. Okay, not cheap by Thailand standards but a good deal nonetheless

+ Well located on Soi Langsuan

+ Incredible gym and beautiful pool on the roof

- Felt like we were living in Bangkok, not on vacation there. That may be a + or a - depending on what you're looking for

- Breakfast buffet was underwhelming by Thai standards

- Staff were uneven

Next time, we're probably going to splurge and go with the Oriental.

Shade
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 11:52 AM

shade try the penn instead...
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Neither of these are hotels, both are serviced apartments.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:35 PM

My wife and I were so disappointed by their riverside buffet that we decided never to stay at the Penn. I realize this is not a rational reaction, but I don't think my wife will change her mind on this one.

Shade
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM

what was wrong with the buffet?? price? quality? range of food? location?? it is their lowest level restaurant so i never expect much from it...
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Yes, the Mayfair and Ascott Sathorn are services apartment buildings. I've checked out both. I was just in Bangkok a few weeks ago although I had already checked out the Ascott in August. The Mayfair, I checked out this time along with a list of other places and it was nice inside and it's on Soi Langsuan which is a street with several serviced apartment buildings in a line next to each other. I didn't particularly like the area...just a little too "western" for me...although I'm a westerner. But it's a nice street and not that far of a walk from the skytrain...but farther than I'd want to walk in the heat. As for the Ascott Sathorn...it's in a quieter area and is beautiful.More high tech and modern. Plus, a lot of long-time residents live in that building so it has a different feel than some other buildings.I didn't see the skytrain from the area, but it's not that far away. I've been in that area several times. It all depends on what kind of area you want...quiet and a residential feel or busy and a western/tourist feel. I personally stayed at the Emporium Suites Serviced apartments for three weeks and loved it. I loved the mix of people at the building and the location...the skytrain is attached to the Emporium Mall which is attached to the Emporium Suites and the bank and supermarket are right there,too. Also, there are a lot of excellent restaurants in the area. I've been to a lot of serviced apartment buildings in BK and they vary quite a bit. Happy Travels!