Bangkok hotel choice

Search

Bangkok hotel choice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok hotel choice

Has anybody recently stayed at the Marriot River resort hotel or the Hilton International or the Amari Boulevard near Sukhomvit. Your views and preferences please. I am going in three weeks and I know these are three different style hotels--looking for guidance. Thanks
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:59 AM

i have not been to the hilton, but i have been 5 or more times to the marriott....let me first say that you may have seen my postings here before...we simply think that the marriott is the best all around hotel in bkk..it provides just the right amount of 5* appeal with the more relaxed atmosphere to be just perfect in our minds...add to that that most of the rooms have recently been refurbished and to that the kindest staff....the pool area is simply the best in bkk...large pool with both sunny and shade areas surrounded with luch vegetation---you would think that you are on an island rahter than in the middle of a city...<BR>staying on the river is far preferable in our minds to staying in the other areas, although we do spend time at the jw marriott on sukumvit when we want to be in that area...<BR>the attached mini mall at the marriott resort is a plus...you will find a mcdonalds, burger king, KFC, swenson's ice cream, thai restaurants, korean restaurant, jewerlers, laundry facility--not self serve, florist, bank, etc...<BR>we like the tailor on the second floor overlooking the parking lot--Monet II--jack has made us lots of clothing, both male and female..<BR>the thai restaurnat with the green awnings on the first floor is excellent and very reasonable---$12-15 for two with beer...<BR>you will save $25 by cashing $300 worth of trav. checks at the bank in the mall vs. in the hotel..<BR>we like eating at the pool...the pool boys are very nice and remember you from day to day....stake out a lounge at breakfast time as the best ones disappear fast....<BR>THIS IS NOT A TYPICAL MARRIOTT, BUSINESS ORIENTED BUT RATHER FAVORS TOURISTS..strangely we rarely see americans there....it is very popular with expat families on the weekends...<BR>all the hotel restaurans are excellent...they have a fine bakery... in the lower lobby...<BR><BR>DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR, STAY AT THE MARRIOTT...ask for a river view room<BR><BR>one example of the friendliness of the staff...on our last stay the maid came running up to me when we arrived on our floor and said..i remember you, welcome back....
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 09:05 AM

i have been into the arari but not stayed there...its ok...you are better off on the river in my mind...marriott and other river hotels have boats to skytrain stop as well as to river city shopping center on a regular basis making movements easy....great taxi service from the marriott as well..<BR><BR>have you also looked at the penisula..they have great deals on their website at the moment...we love it for its location, on the river, and for its luxuary...you will never afford this lux in any other place on earth for this price....stay a couple of days, like at the end of your stay and you will love it too....its just up the road from the marriott about 5-10 minutes by taxi
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 10:55 AM

I viewed the Amari Boulevard rooms, and thought they were quite small. I haven't stayed at the Hilton or Marriott, but stayed at the Royal Benja, which is at the end of the same street the Amari blvd. is on. For me the Benja was a much much better value and was really quite nice. Not the same polish at the 5 star hotels of course.. but it was a very good place to stay for those not needing the high end fluff.. Cheers.. have fun!!! I loved it there. Eat the Pad Thai.. it is yummy and like $.50 for a plate. Also Traveled to Pattaya, Koh Samui, and Koh Tao.. Much fun
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 11:10 AM

Myron<BR><BR>We are going to Thailand in 2 weeks time and splitting our stay between the Sheraton Royal Orchid and the Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa. Obviously having not yet been, I cannot comment on the suitability of the hotel's you mention, however the fact that you should be able to book the Marriott for $47 per night via priceline.com might help you to make up your mind!!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:25 PM

just an additional note...i have seen this posting about marriott rooms for $47 from priceline before...while i do not doubt it, the lowest price i have ever seen for a marriot room at this hotel is $65. for a room facing away from the water...same exact room as facing the water but generally less desirable to many people and usually only for extended stays...that of course is plus about 17.7% taxes, etc.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 11:40 PM

In order to be completely accurate regarding the priceline $47 room, the total I have paid for 5 nights including tax and priceline's processing fee is $288.05. It will be very interesting to see what quality of room we get - I will let you know in a month when I have returned! To be honest, at that price I don't really care if I have a view of the river!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

I want to thank all of you for your replies regarding hotels in Bangkok. Very kind of you. Everyone seems to be pushing<BR>Marriott Resort on the river. But if one is out late enjotying some Bangkok night life or shopping at night markets how does one get back to the Marriott. I assume taxi but what is the fare and just how inconvenient is the Marriott location? Can you book them on Marriott .com or through their 800 number in th States? Thanks again.<BR><BR>Maybe I will see you there Louise since I am schedled for April 24 arrival. By the way for your prior vsiitors to Bangkok how much is the taxi ride from the airport and how long does it take late at night when I arrive.<BR><BR>Are you not scared of SARS or are yousimply a tough stiffer up lip Brit?
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 10:09 AM

We are staying at the Marriott Resort from the 26th April for 5 nights, we will be ones with an English accent!!! LOL <BR><BR>We have prebooked a taxi for our various airport trips and it is costing 400 baht per trip, which I thought was very reasonable. We get met with someone holding a board with our names on - I'm easily pleased!<BR><BR>In true Brit style, we are not in the least bit concerned about SARS. Probably just as much chance in catching it here than in Thailand. More concerned about an attack of Bangkok belly, so we are taking pro biotic yogurt to try to combat it!<BR><BR>Have a great trip!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Louise--I will definitely listen to all the English accents and and select the best one. Your rate sounds almost too good--I may use Planet holiday although they are almost 2 x your rate!<BR> <BR>By the way one more item--how did you go about prebooking a taxi? I will be arriving around 10:45pm and then have to wait an hour for a friend to arrive rom Tokyo. So I assume I can have them meet us at the Tokyo arrival gate (actually a Thai Airways flight)
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 07:35 PM

trips back to marriott late at nite are only by taxi (last boat is about 10:30PM).rate depends on where you are coming from and how long it takes to get there....there can be traffic jams at 1AM..in fact 24 hours per day in some places...airport trips can cost from 350 to 700 or 800...go to the taxi booking booth in the outside arrivals hall after exiting customs and they will arrange it for you...at that time of nite it will take about 45 minutes to the marriott...MAKE SURE YOU TELL HIM TAKE THE TOLL ROAD...YOU PAY AN EXTRA 70B FOR THAT, CASH, IN ADDITION TO THE FARE...airport limos which we use late at nite cost a flat fee of 650B as i remember and they are good if you have any big luggage and are more comfortable--they have a desk right by the exit door---called airport limo..taxis tend to be small in the trunk area...<BR>marriott will also send a car for you and charge it to your room...we often use this as well...it costs about $35-40++ but they send a mercedes and the driver is great, knows where he is going and usually gives you ice bottled water....you need it after 20-30 hours of flying (east coast)...e-mail the hotel for this....if you have never been to bkk before i strongly reccomend this as money wisely spent for the first time....<BR>i just found, in our log, a taxi ride to the airport from marriott at 1pm on a saturday using the toll road --cost was 370B including tolls --our best ever run...use the yellow and green taxis whenever you have a choice...
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 07:36 PM

louise---i do not think there are any bad rooms at the marriott, just more preferable ones...
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

RHKKMK--<BR><BR>Thanks--you are a great source of information and I so appreicate it.<BR><BR>So will I be missing any &quot;street&quot; action--food stalls, clothing stalls, etc., by staying at Marriott instead ofHilton International or doyou think it is simply a win-win to stay along the river?
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 10:07 PM

Myron, I booked the taxi from a recommendation on this site. The lady taxi driver has a green and yellow taxi, therefore she is a driver/owner, but I believe she has other people working for her too. I emailed her with the trips I wanted to take and now I have the comfort of knowing they are booked. Her english is very good too.<BR>If you want to contact her, her name is Vimonrat Kantapiyo (nickname Ratt). The airport transfer is at 400 baht and other journeys 220 baht per hour. Her e-mail address is [email protected] or you could also try [email protected]
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:53 PM

you won't miss out on a thing unless you let yourself....go go go day and nite....i hope you are prepared for the heat...its unbelievable...that is the thing that will slow you down....like louise i hope to use ratt next time based on the posting here....<BR><BR>speaking of heat...hope you know to only bring lite weight clothes, preferably made of cotton...very few people wear shorts in the city too...i usually wear chinos, camp style or polo style shirt, socks and sandles....no sneakers--too hot....socks because of the &quot;dirt&quot;...<BR>if you are concerned about missing something spend a few days at the hilton or other place...we move several times during a 30 day visit to thailand (bkk)...BUT we always come back to the marriott resort...enjoy
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:19 AM

Absolutely stay on the river. No question in my opinion on this issue. Besides being so much easier traffic wise, the lifeblood of Thailand is the Chao Phrya River, and to sit and watch the world go by on it is one of the great pleasures of life. I am a huge fan of the Marriott Riverside. I have stayed there many times on business and for pleasure. It has the best pool in Bangkok (in my opinion) as it has large palm trees and you can actually sit in the shade rather than the blazing sun. The service and staff are great. The Mandara Spa is terrific, you can even get a massage poolside!<BR><BR>The location is a bit south of the action, but there is a free shuttle boat that will take you up to the subway stop, the Oriental Pier and the River City shopping complex, all places where you can shop, eat and catch water taxis for sights on the river.<BR><BR>I don't know what your budget is, or if you have Marriott Reward Points. In terms of rooms, there are very at least 4 very nice one-bedroom corner suites with balconies and views right over the river. If these don't suit you, try to get a junior suite as they are larger than the standard rooms and have nice bathrooms with separate shower and bath. Almost all the rooms have a river/pool view, but do request one to make sure you get the best available. There are a few rooms with views of the tennis courts and neighbouring properties, which you may get if the hotel is full.<BR><BR>As for meeting your friend, I would suggest you arrange to meet him at his baggage carousel. This will give you time to get through immigration and collect your own luggage. Due to security, you may not be permitted to go to his arrival gate or to wait inside the immigration area. You can check the boards at immigration to find out what carousel his baggage will be at. You can then go through customs together and get transport into the city.<BR><BR>I actually would not book a taxi through the desks in the airport, as they tend to overcharge. You can pick one up at the taxi rank outside the terminal. Alternatively and much easier, is to arrange for the hotel to send a car for you. This is not much more than a taxi, and is very convenient as the driver will be at the customs exit doors with your name on a card, and will take you right to the car. Definitely worth it so late and night and landing in a strange airport (esp. if it is raining or if there are a number of international flights arriving at the same time). Contact the hotel and ask what the price would be.<BR>
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:24 PM
peg

Hi Myron:<BR><BR>Myself and two friends stayed at the Hilton last October and we were very pleased. We were a long block and some stair away from the sky train. We were out late in the markets every night, and just hoped on the sky train to our stop and walked the rest of the way to the hotel. Everyone is very friendly and accomodating, the pool area is lovely. <BR><BR>We thought the hotel was in a nice location where we had easy access to everything.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:10 PM

just one small correction on the above...a hotel car is much more expensive---about 3 times, but i agree that it is worth it as you will be exhausted and won't be able to cope easily with the heat, etc...<BR><BR>one clue about immigration...there are a number of flights arriving at that time....when you get to the area move quickly and go at least to the middle of the large room where the lines are smaller....people enter the immigration area from both sides of the room....<BR><BR>forget meeting your friend...meet hime in the luggage retreval area...there is one central exit --why not meet him there....there are lots of people around the baggage area with carts so better to meet him away from the area...
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:26 PM

i see i haven't sent you anything about restaurants:<BR>we like the thai family restaurant on the first (ground) floor of the marriott mini mall...rest. has green awnings..<BR>you can save money by cashing checks in the mall at the bank...i figure i saved $25 on $300...bank is out on street to the left..<BR>harmonique restaurant--thai..soi 34 off new road 1/2 way between the oriental and the shangr-la hotels....moderate price..<BR>on the opposite side of new road down a small soi (there is a sign out on the main road) is a great indian restaurant--cha-cha himila (spelled wrong)--moderate, very small but good food<BR>speaking of indian--there is a fabulous buffet at the indian restaurant on the top floor of the rembrandt hotel (great view) on sundays--not to be missed..also good anyother time as well..maybe $18 for buffet..in same hotel is senor pico a great mexican restaurant...soi 18, sukumvit rd....<BR>we love biscotti (italien) in the regent hotel--moderate to expensive..great presentation and delicious...<BR>two restaurants on soi 12, sukumvit road..side by side...first is the famous cabbages and condoms (a charity run place--condoms)--thai with indoor and outdoor seating--thai food quite reasonable --we found it to be only fair but others love it..next door is crepes and co...simply the best crepes--3 meals a day or just dessert...we went 3 times on our last trip...moderate to expensive...<BR>gourmet gallery--continental food--great steaks...on a soi which begins with a &quot;P&quot;--look on you map, which is a right turn off of soi 39, sukumvit road---fabulous desserts and unbelievable onion soup--have the one with the pastry top...<BR>senses---2nd floor gaysorn plaza--plenochip rd on the way to siam square---upscale and tasty--mix of food types..we only had lunch there and it was delicious..<BR>jesters in the peninsula--upscale, expensive, beautiful presentation--the $75 dinner for two that you would pay $200+ for in the usa...trendy and upscale...beautiful view of the river..reservations...easy taxi from marriott--10 minutes...plus you get to see the hotel...2nd floor on river<BR>lord jim in the oriental for the lunch buffet---about $17/each...you won't want to eat again for a day or two...everything delicious and again a beautiful view of river....2nd floor<BR><BR>enjoy for me, please!!!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone. You are all great people and will take your advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -